• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords Wii LARGE scans (<3 <3 <3 neo <3 <3 <3)

neo2046

3112.net_b69791c305e9998c9a09d5ab08ae5c68.jpg
3112.net_42729759ad75b5e635576ec7f1c08594.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Based on these tiny scans, I have determined that these graphics are both terrible and godlike at the same time and this game will be the best worst game ever made.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's basically what we were expecting, now let's see how far they are taking the concept on Wii.

AniHawk

BrandNew said:
Dragona is splurging somewhere, knowing this isn't launch.

EDIT: Wait, splurging doesn't really work.

Of course it does. Dragona's a guy just like everyone else on the internet.

ethelred

Hmm. Can't really tell much from those scans... I'd love if we could get some full size, high quality ones.

It looks like the game is equal to or slightly better than DQ8 graphically, but again, it's hard to tell. Either way, no disappointment there. Gameplay... can't tell much beyond what we already knew. That world map looks really small, but at least we know there is at least one town in the game.

JDSN

Banned
Is Toriyama working in this one?

The green thing with the bow & arrow looks like one of his designs.

ethelred

JDSN said:
Is Toriyama working in this one?

The green thing with the bow & arrow looks like one of his designs.

Yes. Akira Toriyama is doing character & monster designs, Koichi Sugiyama is doing music, and Yuji Horii is doing game design & scenario.

JDSN

Banned
Wow, I thought this was going to be another lazy spin-off but the whole crew is in, im glad they are making this one in first person like the old days. :D

ethelred

jett said:
I think we can all agree it will be a TRILLION seller in Japan, just like FF3DS.

Hmm. This past gen, there were only 11 RPGs in total that sold 800,000 in Japan. I wonder... do you think Square Enix would find such sales disappointing for DQS?

ethelred

Yamauchi said:
FF3 certainly sold more than SE expected, but I'd be surprised if this title sold over 250k.

The TV peripheral Kenshin DQ sold over 500k. Aside from that, there isn't a single Dragon Quest spinoff ever that has sold as little as 250k (Young Yangus is the lowest selling one ever, and even it topped 300,000).

We'll see.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
wow. a dragon quest game where you cannot see your avatars during battle. innovation am total. at least with waggling I know when I am attacking.

keanerie

ethelred said:
Yes. Akira Toriyama is doing character & monster designs, Koichi Sugiyama is doing music, and Yuji Horii is doing game design & scenario.

Wow really? Goddamn, sounds like DQ Team + Waggling = a recipe for success.

big_z

Is this a true dragon quest RPG??? The E3 video or whatever looked like some sort spin off where you just battle monsters waggling only to move forward from one fight to the next in 2d hell.

you know like a cheap port of this shit
dragon-quest-swords-the-masked-queen-and-the-tower-of-mirrors-20060522041041818.jpg

NSider

scola said:
wow. a dragon quest game where you cannot see your avatars during battle. innovation am total. at least with waggling I know when I am attacking.

It's not really an RPG you MORAN. It's a first person hack & slash adventure game thingy. But look, it has SLIMES!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Aaargh-need better pics...... also anyone can translate the infos on the scan ?

Looks good although I'll wait on comparisons until better pics arrive.

Btw, isn't there a main character? I mean, we have seen the video and now this pics, and it seems its 1st-person as in never show the character you are controlling.

Sure that map doesn't seem too big, but I like how DQ develops small worlds rather than a large one everytime. For example, the sea world of DQMJoker or the slime lands of DQRocketSlime.

Ashodin

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Looks good although I'll wait on comparisons until better pics arrive.

Btw, isn't there a main character? I mean, we have seen the video and now this pics, and it seems its 1st-person as in never show the character you are controlling.

Sure that map doesn't seem too big, but I like how DQ develops small worlds rather than a large one everytime. For example, the sea world of DQMJoker or the slime lands of DQRocketSlime.
That's because YOU ARE THE CHARACTER. That's why no showing the hero.

Well, Dragon Quest 7 starts out with a small island.. then opens up!

Maxrpg said:
That's because YOU ARE THE CHARACTER. That's why no showing the hero.

Well, Dragon Quest 7 starts out with a small island.. then opens up!
Er, yeah, see DQ Kenshin box, there is a character there, I didn't play it but it seems he is the main character, the one you control although you can't see, isn' he?

My question is if there is such a character in DQ Swords or if you customize it, or if you don't see him at all.

About the map, after we saw the DQMJ one in one (two-pages) scan, I guess this one is the final one too. It has a good size town, a deep forest, a cave, a beach, a big mountain...a few unique locations to the game. I don't think this game will be as lenghty as DQ7, do you?

Koren

big_z said:
Is this a true dragon quest RPG??? The E3 video or whatever looked like some sort spin off where you just battle monsters waggling only to move forward from one fight to the next in 2d hell.

you know like a cheap port of this shit
dragon-quest-swords-the-masked-queen-and-the-tower-of-mirrors-20060522041041818.jpg
This 'shit' is very linear as an RPG, but really really fun. Wiimote is far better for motion detection than the IR sword, especially since Nunchuck can be used for shield. I would be happy if this was the same kind of game. I doubt it is simply a port, though.

Ashodin

Koren said:
This 'shit' is very linear as an RPG, but really really fun. Wiimote is far better for motion detection than the IR sword, especially since Nunchuck can be used for shield. I would be happy if this was the same kind of game. I doubt it is simply a port, though.
Yeah, the screens actually show movement in a town in first person, talking to people. The game will probably feel VERY personal.

NSider

It's a SEQUEL to Kenshin Dragon Quest (a plug and play game that has sold more than half a million copies in Japan). Also, this one here is almost completely 3D. Those small scans and that short clip at E3 look fine to me. It's not a port.

Edit: Here's a video of the old Kenshin DQ. Imagine a version of it in complete 3D and better controls and mechanics, and you've got DQS: TMQatToM (lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUXqtSHaNU

AntMurda

People call everything a port, gimmick, mini-game, or non-game without the slightest bit of conclusive information.

kiryogi

Banned
The big key here is that Yuji Horii is actually taking this one serious and working on fleshing it out a bit. Hence the whole rpg thing people have mentioned, but how substance it'll actually have we dont know still D:

NSider

kiryogi said:
The big key here is that Yuji Horii is actually taking this one serious and working on fleshing it out a bit. Hence the whole rpg thing people have mentioned, but how substance it'll actually have we dont know still D:
Did Horii really say that? Nice avatar BTW.

Top Bottom