• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords Wii LARGE scans (<3 <3 <3 neo <3 <3 <3)

Terrell

john tv said:
Mitsuda's working on Luminous Arc. As for Genus Sonority, they had nothing to do with DQ5 and DQ6. And Pokemon Colosseum is ugly as sin.

BTW, where does it say Eighting is involved? They're not mentioned in the Jump article or on the web site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't bother to let the site load up. Now I see Eighting.
From the GS Wikipedia page (but I have validated the info from other sources):

Wikipedia said:
The company's current president, Manabu Yamana, is best known prior to being the founder of Genius Sonority as the director of Dragon Quest V and VI, which are often considered to be the most popular titles in the Dragon Quest franchise.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
Doesn't Wii read DVDs?
Not that I knew of... does it? :)

Terrell said:
From the GS Wikipedia page (but I have validated the info from other sources):

Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
The company's current president, Manabu Yamana, is best known prior to being the founder of Genius Sonority as the director of Dragon Quest V and VI, which are often considered to be the most popular titles in the Dragon Quest franchise.
Wikipedia is wrong. Yamana is merely a suit. And he was not responsible for anything beyond programming for the DQ games he was involved with (most notable of which is DQVII, easily the ugliest, most poorly-programmed game in the entire DQ series), and he most certainly was not responsible for the quality of the game design (that was entirely Armor Project). There's a reason Enix dumped Heartbeat (Yamana's previous company) -- it's because they sucked.

And again, the Pokemon Colosseum games were ugly as sin (and the single-player modes sucked). This is why I am skeptical about DQS. :)

Again though, the screens look nice, so I'm still hopeful.

Terrell

john tv said:
Wikipedia is wrong. Yamana is merely a suit. And he was not responsible for anything beyond programming for the DQ games he was involved with (most notable of which is DQVII, easily the ugliest, most poorly-programmed game in the entire DQ series), and he most certainly was not responsible for the quality of the game design (that was entirely Armor Project). There's a reason Enix dumped Heartbeat (Yamana's previous company) -- it's because they sucked.

And again, the Pokemon Colosseum games were ugly as sin (and the single-player modes sucked). This is why I am skeptical about DQS. :)

Again though, the screens look nice, so I'm still hopeful.
DQV Credits, Yamana credited as Director
DQVI Credits, Yamana credited as Director and Main Programmer

But off the point... forget the Pokemon games on GCN, look at Pokemon Battle Revolution, dude! That's hot **** right there!!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i think all that nintendo has officially stated is this

A single self-loading media bay plays single- or double-layered 12-cm optical discs for the Wii console, as well as 8-cm Nintendo GameCube discs

SantaC

Scrow said:

yeah I have a hardtime seeing a 12-centimeter optical disc not as a DVD disc. It's probably just Nintendo's wording for it.

john tv

Terrell said:
DQV Credits, Yamana credited as Director
DQVI Credits, Yamana credited as Director and Main Programmer

But off the point... forget the Pokemon games on GCN, look at Pokemon Battle Revolution, dude! That's hot **** right there!!
Is PBR nice? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

Re: Yamana -- it's the same as with Akihiro Hino being credited as director of DQ8. It's basically a programming director's role (almost more of a producer). The brains behind the game design and the scenario are mainly Yuji Horii. Although I admit I don't know much about how involved Hino was with VIII. I just know there are a few bitter people in Japan who aren't too fond of Yamana getting all the credit with DQ games. :)

He worked on DQ3, DQ4 and DQ7, too, BTW. He started out with Chun Soft, I think, and then left to make his own company (Heartbeat), and then Genius Sonority.

Oh well, I hope it turns out well. Kenshin Dragon Quest was a lot of fun. :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dragon Quest+Elder Scrolls= DQS ?

dqwii01sm5.jpg

dqwii02vs1.jpg

Thanks for the bigger scans.

I must admit, it looks nice visually and looks fun to play.

However, I am concerned about how linear it may be. Can you move your character around, or is it like a light-gun game?

Ashodin

Thank you for the scans. You are god.

Wow. This game really looks like the Oblivion people were asking for.

And it doesn't look like it's on rails at ALL.

Nunchuk to move, Wiimote to attack... Wow, it looks really good too.

Maxrpg said:
Thank you for the scans. You are god.

Wow. This game really looks like the Oblivion people were asking for.

And it doesn't look like it's on rails at ALL.

Nunchuk to move, Wiimote to attack... Wow, it looks really good too.

So it's not on-rails?

neo2046

Yamana IS SUCKED since the SFC (SNES) era :/
I always have no idea why Nintendo is willing to fund Genius Sonority

Mr. Pointy said:
Chances of DQS not sucking went up by 30%
same here after seeing Eighting responses the development

I'm positive 8ing is going to be doing graphics. You can say alot about 8ing, but they sure do purty graphics.

Genius Sonority, we'll have to see. Unlike other people, Yuji Horii has yet to let me down, and he's personally involved.

I'm sure Yuji Horii will slap Genius Sorority with a trout if they try to do something stupid. At least it'll look pretty. How big is 8ing's staff? They seem to be taking on about a billion jobs.

john tv

KurowaSan said:
i haven't played it myself, but Kenshin DQ sure seems to be on rails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUXqtSHaNU
Ah, you're right actually. I was referring to the fact that you can control when your character moves (i.e. it's not automatic movement). But I mean, that setup was very limited -- I would certainly hope they'll allow for completely free movement in the Wii version. Otherwise that's gonna be really lame...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
john tv said:
Ah, you're right actually. I was referring to the fact that you can control when your character moves (i.e. it's not automatic movement). But I mean, that setup was very limited -- I would certainly hope they'll allow for completely free movement in the Wii version. Otherwise that's gonna be really lame...

I was under the impression it was goin to use the chuck as well. In which case, you would freeroam with the chuck, and attack with the wiimote. How would you do the shield? Tilt the wiimote, like you do in Kenshin Dragon Quest?

ethelred

john tv said:
Is PBR nice? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

Re: Yamana -- it's the same as with Akihiro Hino being credited as director of DQ8. It's basically a programming director's role (almost more of a producer). The brains behind the game design and the scenario are mainly Yuji Horii. Although I admit I don't know much about how involved Hino was with VIII. I just know there are a few bitter people in Japan who aren't too fond of Yamana getting all the credit with DQ games. :)

Well, that's exactly what I'm saying, John. I'm not giving Yamana credit for DQ5 or DQ6 -- I'm saying he was the director on them, he was responsible for programming the games... and he and his team did fine at that. Now they're (along with 8ing) responsible for programming DQS. Nothing more. They're not in charge in any creative capacity. Horii is -- just like DQ5 or any of the numbered installments.

Blue Dragon gets Artoon, DQS gets Genius Sonority -- it doesn't matter who the programming team is when all the creative control is being held by someone who it's easy to trust in.

Also, can anyone rehost the scans?

LevelNth

Banned
john tv said:
There's a reason Enix dumped Heartbeat (Yamana's previous company) -- it's because they sucked.
Amen to that.

As for Yamana, I'm pretty sure you're right John. I don't know specifically what he did, but I do know that Hino was more involved with VIII than any previous director had been, though this was mainly due to the more advanced technical aspects of the game in comparison to previous installments, and the fact that it was the first full 3D DQ. Hino acted somewhat as a sub-director. Everything passed through and was approved by him, and subsequently went to Horii for final approval, etc.

ethelred said:
I'm saying he was the director on them, he was responsible for programming the games... and he and his team did fine at that.
Dude, Heartbeat was shit, and did a complete disservice to DQ. Enix rightfully booted them out the door. I may not be the biggest Horii fan (his penchant for stagnation is somewhat frustrating, but I still admit he's a great developer), and as much as I feel he should've done more for the series after the NES, for VI and VII, Heartbeat were the main offenders for my disappointment with them.

ethelred said:
Now they're (along with 8ing) responsible for programming DQS. Nothing more. They're not in charge in any creative capacity. Horii is -- just like DQ5 or any of the numbered installments.

Blue Dragon gets Artoon, DQS gets Genius Sonority -- it doesn't matter who the programming team is when all the creative control is being held by someone who it's easy to trust in.
I'm not so sure GS is doing any programming though. There'd be no need for two companies to do it, especially since Eighting is so large. Since they are listed as in charge of Planning, I'm thinking that Fujisawa, Narita, Kamimura and Nakadera from Armor Project aren't involved at all (probably tied up with IX), and GS is doing all the scenerio work those guys usually do, with Horii contributing and approving on top of that.

Not to mention that 8ing is also incredibly familiar with GC architecture so I'm positive DQ Swords is going to be one of the best looking games for the system.

Scrow said:
In all likelihood, they are DVD-ROM discs with a proprietary storage method. The royalties you have to pay for DVD movie playing are for the movie decoder, not for the actual DVD laser or drive or anything like that.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
Not to mention that 8ing is also incredibly familiar with GC architecture so I'm positive DQ Swords is going to be one of the best looking games for the system.

Yeah. Well, we can already tell just by looking at the pictures and the previously released videos that it looks great. Either on par with or slightly superior to DQ8 (depending upon how much one wishes to quibble)... I don't see how anyone can have any complaints on that.

LevelNth said:
Dude, Heartbeat was shit, and did a complete disservice to DQ. Enix rightfully booted them out the door. I may not be the biggest Horii fan (his penchant for stagnation is somewhat frustrating, but I still admit he's a great developer), and as much as I feel he should've done more for the series after the NES, for VI and VII, Heartbeat were the main offenders for my disappointment with them.

Yeah, yeah, you've stated that before. And despite that, most people consider DQ6 to be a far superior game to DQ8. I love DQ6 and have no complaints with the game at all.

ethelred said:
Yeah, yeah, you've stated that before. And despite that, most people consider DQ6 to be a far superior game to DQ8. I love DQ6 and have no complaints with the game at all.

Dude, we should just bait him and say level 5 is sorely overrated. His schtick is as bad as mrbob who claims level 5 "revolutionized DQ for Western gamers". Which is total bull.

thefro

Looking good... major upgrade since E3. Hopefully the Kushin game it's based on gets fleshed out (it already looks like you may be able to free-roam in the towns at least).

LevelNth

Banned
ethelred said:
Wha? Who are these 'most' people? People who like to be wrong? Certainly not any significant amount of general DQ fans in Japan, as VI rated the lowest out of all the DQ's on Famitsu's Top 100 reader poll. But I digress. We disagree, nothing more can be said.

Dragona Akehi said:
Dude, we should just bait him and say level 5 is sorely overrated.
You can if you like, but you have to be ok with being wrong. =P

New scans look pretty good.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jett said:
Genius Sonority and Eighting? Hah.

Genius Sonority, I understand. Wtf is wrong with 8ing?

Top Bottom