• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata continued to work from the hospital until his passing, including Pokemon GO

Chaos17

CJx2YvpWEAA1EP4.jpg

In a flip-flop, Nintendo decided in March 2015 to make a foray into smartphone gaming. Iwata wanted to create a smartphone game typical of Nintendo under his own initiative, but the ailing president had only limited time left to do it.
Even after undergoing surgery in June 2014, Iwata said, "I still have unfinished business."
He made his last public appearance at an annual Nintendo shareholders meeting at the end of June 2015 before passing away two weeks later.

He continued to work in a hospital room until the last moment, using his favorite PC and exchanging views on "Pokemon Go" with Tsunekazu Ishihara, the Pokemon Company's president and his close friend.
Iwata had an unshakable belief in his company's products. Many Nintendo fans are children, so he was critical of conventional smartphone games.

"Children can enjoy 'Pokemon Go' without spending too much money. This is probably what Iwata-san aimed for," said an executive at a game-related company who knew Iwata well.

Source: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...craze-watchers-wonder-Whither-Nintendo?page=2

EDIT: FOR SKEPTICAL PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELEIVE THIS.

Mr. Ishihara: Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedules to come here. Today, I'd like to announce a new Pokémon project.

We haven't really done this type of formal press conference before, but for this project in particular, I wanted to speak to you all about it directly.

To tell you the truth, I have been working on this project for about two years along with Nintendo's Mr. Iwata, and I really hoped we could make the announcement together. That desire is part of why I decided to hold this conference today.

Source: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/news-from-the-pokemon-go-announcement/

EDIT 2 : For people who doesn't know who is this man, here's a resume (video)
https://youtu.be/k4cJh2YgrKE

tumblr_nrjfy35GEn1skoy7ho1_500.png

JoeM86

:(

Pokémon GO managed to bring loads of people back into Pokémon, and indirectly, back to Nintendo. He should be proud.

Ever the fighter, ever the gamer. He is truly missed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, in many ways Pokemon Go seems to be the full realisation of what he had in mind for Streetpass all along.

AdanVC

And you did amazingly well, Mr. Iwata :') Massive respect to him. He probably knew he didn't had too much time left so instead of just giving up to everything and spend his last moments at peace, he prefered to keep working until the very last moment his health allowed him. Just wow <3

OuterLimits

Didn't know he did a shareholders meeting just two weeks before passing away. Wow. Surprised he was able to do that.

He will certainly be missed.

-shadow-

For all the wrong choices he has made, he really was into this because of his passion. Truly a one of a kind person and I doubt we'll ever see anyone nearly as passionate as him again. Still stings whenever I rewatched a Nintendo Direct. I still smile and laugh, bit it's really bittersweet.

Didn't know he did a shareholders meeting just two weeks before passing away. Wow. Surprised he was able to do that.

He will certainly be missed.
While seriously deteriorated because of what happened, he still looked rather well when you consider he had just two more weeks amongst us.

nikatapi

Still miss Iwata a lot, even though i found the whole WiiU approach bad from the beginning. But he will always be a legend.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Suddenly feel like removing all my previous Pokemon Go hate posts...

Chaos17

Suddenly feel like removing all my previous Pokemon Go hate posts...

You weren't that wrong, personaly, I'm going to be really strict with Niantic. I don't want them to tarnish Iwata "legacy" and I will always regret that is not Nintendo who made that mobile game, always because they made quality games and do communicate with their fans.

WaterAstro

You weren't that wrong, personaly, I'm going to be really strict with Niantic. I don't want them to tarnish Iwata "legacy" and I will always regret that is not Nintendo who made that mobile game, always because they made quality games and do communicate with their fans.

I still don't believe in this Iwata made Pokemon Go thing. It was really a collaborative effort between Google, the Pokemon team, and Iwata.

People give Iwata waaaay too much credit. I would even question this article about the "executive at a gaming-related company" talking about Iwata working on Pokemon Go on the hospital bed. Seems a bit too convenient and sensationalist as articles go.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't believe in this Iwata made Pokemon Go thing. It was really a collaborative effort between Google, the Pokemon team, and Iwata.

People give Iwata waaaay too much credit. I would even question this article about the "executive at a gaming-related company" talking about Iwata working on Pokemon Go on the hospital bed. Seems a bit too convenient and sensationalist as articles go.

Okay, kind of inappropriate of you. Also it has been noted multiple times that Iwata continued to work till his death.

borborygmus

Weird thing to be skeptical about. There's no reason to lie about this. Iwata had tons of accomplishments under his belt and didn't need this one to prop up his legacy.

JoeM86

Nobody said Iwata is solely responsible, even this article didn't.

WaterAstro

Okay, kind of inappropriate of you. Also it has been noted multiple times that Iwata continued to work till his death.

Weird thing to be skeptical about. There's no reason to lie about this. Iwata had tons of accomplishments under his belt and didn't need this one to prop up his legacy.

But to suddenly bring up Pokemon GO, after years of nothing since Iwata bringing it up since the April Fool's, when Pokemon GO is hot and popular...

I don't question that he was still working. I question if he was involved with Pokemon GO in any meaningful way, just like it was revealed that Miyamoto was not involved in a meaningful way either.

Chaos17

But to suddenly bring up Pokemon GO, after years of Iwata bringing it up since the April Fool's, when Pokemon GO is hot and popular...

I don't question that he was still working. I question if he was involved with Pokemon GO in any meaningful way, just like it was revealed that Miyamoto was not involved in a meaningful way either.

Could you tell me what part of this you don't understand ?
He continued to work in a hospital room until the last moment, using his favorite PC and exchanging views on "Pokemon Go" with Tsunekazu Ishihara, the Pokemon Company's president and his close friend.
Iwata had an unshakable belief in his company's products. Many Nintendo fans are children, so he was critical of conventional smartphone games.

Top Bottom