• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata continued to work from the hospital until his passing, including Pokemon GO

Chaos17

Iwata has a plentitude of good works under his belt and is dearly missed, but it seems disingenuous to stress his inextricable involvement in second- and third- party game while in a position that would demand his attentions elsewhere. Questioning his level of involvement is not the same as insulting a man's legacy or disrespecting the dead, let's not mourn-shame each other for not blindly eulogizing Iwata.

Here's a resume and no that's not a glorification that's just facts of what he did in his life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

Gonna put this in the OP.

meppi

ij5098t.gif

:(

GAF is not a good place for sarcasm. People like me are too dumb to recognize sarcasm. Some people are even dumber that they say something that looks like sarcasm but they are actually serious.

You're right, I could be wrong.

Just seems too perfect to not be since WaterAstro was desperately trying to discredit Nintendo and going by other posters, apparently that's been his mission for awhile now.

Dremark

Banned
It's not really a surprise. He seemed to be the one pushing them to open up to smart phones near the end and the man was super dedicated to his work and his company.

We'll see how this ends up going long term but honestly I think he got it right. They aren't moving to smartphone from what we've seen so far, they are supplementing thier products and reaching out to a different market.

What a guy. I felt respect for him when I learned that he slashed his own pay just so his company would not have to lay off any employees. Everything else I've learned about him since has only solidified that respect.

PtM

Banned
What a guy. I felt respect for him when I learned that he slashed his own pay just so his company would not have to lay off any employees. Everything else I've learned about him since has only solidified that respect.
Not to turn WaterAstro, but that cut was mostly symbolic.

Ridley327

What is this? Link?

It's from Elite Beat Agents, an otherwise super-crazy rhythm game that decides to make a crazy 180 for this particular level.

The agents cheer on the ghost of a recently departed father who is trying to give his daughter a happy Christmas as he possibly can, all to the tune of You're the Inspiration. It works so well.

Neiteio

I miss Mr. Iwata. He exuded a gentle quality that's rare in this industry.

I trust he's out there laughing somewhere.

Oersted

These were seperate decisions, both meant to not lower the moral. Which is great. Not many CEOs would cut their pay and stand against firing anyone.

EVH

To be honest, when one is in such a situation and still keeps thinking that working or a smartphone game is so important, i just think he is kind of the opposite of a person I would admire or respect.

Beartruck

I still remember when he died, a friend and I were playing Splatoon when the in game plaza when miiverse lit up with "RIP iwata". I thought it was some kind of joke. :(

RMI

Banned
I miss Iwata still. Nintendo is an amazing company, but I can't imagine they will ever have another president that charismatic and dedicated.

To be honest, when one is in such a situation and still keeps thinking that working or a smartphone game is so important, i just think he is kind of the opposite of a person I would admire or respect.

Jesus Christ, man. Maybe he was passionate about his work and wants to do as much as possible before the end? Maybe he felt guilty about leaving his friends and colleagues to continue with his work before he had a chance to see it through? It's called having a sense of responsibility. what the fuck.

phanphare

Banned

maybe think before you hit post next time

JoeM86

Working on something you're passionate and love to the bitter end is something that should be looked down on?

Mariolee

Man ks a trooper. I still remember the day he died and where I was. I was shocked at first at how largely his death impacted me but it made sense. His works have played a huge role in the direction of my life and I thought he would just live forever. I especially didn't expect him to die so close to E3.

It is sad to see this thread has been tainted.

imjust1n

Banned
Loosing Iwata-San was pretty sad.
It was just as sad as loosing David Bowie and Robin William for me.
All 3 were just equally amazing people who did amazing things.

MisterHero

"children can enjoy Pokemon GO without spending too much money"

Wow I feel pretty bad after calling F2P games trash. That is absolutely right, even if maintenance issues get in the way.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

You serious dude? Some of y'all really ain't shit.

7threst

Wow I feel pretty bad after calling F2P games trash. That is absolutely right, even if maintenance issues get in the way.

I feel the same way. I actually feel stupid not thinking about it that way, being in a position I can afford games for like more than 20 years already... I feel dumb now..

Top Bottom