• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky sells over 100k in the UK

From Chart-Track:

Sky High

15/Aug/2016

Taking off on Wednesday 10th August, ‘No Man’s Sky’ shoots straight to No1.

It becomes Sony’s 2nd biggest ever PS4 launch (behind Uncharted 4) and Sony’s biggest launch for a new IP on PS4. In terms of new IP across all publishers and Sony formats it sits 5th behind Destiny (PS4), Watch Dogs (PS4), The Getaway (PS2) and The Last of Us (PS3).

Credit to Bruno MB in the PAL Charts thread. Retail sales only, digital not included.

Pretty fantastic opening for the title and completely beyond what I expected it to do.

It's also about to hit 500k on Steam.

O N E M A N ' S L I E

I'm very happy for them tho. I'm really enjoying the game. It'll be interesting to see the legs, cus I think once the outrage calms down people might be more receptive to it.

orochi91

It becomes Sony’s 2nd biggest ever PS4 launch (behind Uncharted 4) and Sony’s biggest launch for a new IP on PS4.
Oh wow, that's actually impressive.

I assume Bloodborne was holding on to that title before it got dethroned by NMS.

Many years of hype translated to sales very nicely. I think it won't have amazing legs though, because that same hype is very hard to meet and for many hasn't been met.

T.O.P

Banned
I can't say that i'm genuinely happy for this

I don't see the game being generally deserving of such success

That's me ofc

danowat

Banned
Very impressive numbers, even more impressive when you realise the power that marketing can have on such a (IMO) mediocre title.

Not sure I like what it says about the AAA games industry though.

madmackem

Wow for a small team too well done hello games, that's without digital too? It was priced pretty much the same digitally so it will have sold pretty well there too.

sam777

Very impressive numbers, even more impressive when you realise the power that marketing can have on such a (IMO) mediocre title.

Yep, I was one who got suckered into that, will be giving my copy to CEX to get my £36 back.

I can't say that i'm genuinely happy for this

I don't see the game being generally deserving of such success

That's me ofc

For many this will undoubtedly be a lesson of buying into hype. (I learned my lesson with Assassin's Creed 3, since then I have taken a 'wait and see' approach)

madmackem

It's a very marmite game, I've went from loving it to being bored back to loving it again, it's the perfect podcast playing game I've found.

Hasney

Awesome news, well deserved.

Many years of hype translated to sales very nicely. I think it won't have amazing legs though, because that same hype is very hard to meet and for many hasn't been met.

Sony have been very good in the UK at giving their published games legs. Once the sales start to trickle off, they get into bundles and it kept things like The Order hanging around for a little bit longer even.

They currently have a 1TB pack with UC4, Bloodborne, Heavy Rain and Beyond which Racthet and Clank was also given away on. I wouldn't be shocked if NMS joins it in a few weeks to get better deals and clear out some stock before Neo.

Uhhm. Even the phrase "AAA" is a marketing neologism.

Edit: i may be wrong that it was coined as a marketing term but its use outside of internal trade discussions came about through being adopted into marketing materials.

Wil348

Very surprising outcome, I thought it would do well but not to this extent. It will be interesting to see its legs though, considering the mixed critical reception and word of mouth. There's a good chance the Batman Vs Superman effect could come into play here where sales will drop heavily after the 'honeymoon' period.

Here's hoping NMS gets released on er, more platforms. The better it sells the more chance of HG supporting and adding to it. (I own the two systems it's currently available on, I don't own any other systems it could end up, so this is not port begging.)

Great for the team behind it,im not overly impressed with it,although I am on PC had zero issues at first,then they started to creep in...I shall preserve though as patches get released,so my opinion may(probably) will change

Hasney

Very surprising outcome, I thought it would do well but not to this extent. It will be interesting to see its legs though, considering the mixed critical reception and word of mouth. There's a good chance the Batman Vs Superman effect could come into play here where sales will drop heavily after the 'honeymoon' period.

It was a Wednesday release, so I'm expecting at least a 70-80% drop off as standard. Anything above that would be the DCCU situation.

IvanJ

Banned
I'll just echo my sentiments from the PAL chart thread:

I am so happy that the game is doing so well, it deserves it so much. A wonderful, awesome game that delivered a fantastic new experience.
I am enjoying it so much, I put dozens of hours of fun in it already, at the expense of sleep. The journey, the exploration, beutiful worlds and exotic animals, an interesting story and new alien life forms... My GOTY easily.

It just goes to show that a great game will sell well, and that it fully deserved its asking price.
I am so happy that Hello Games has a huge hit on their hands, and I am looking forward to even more content and will definitely support all their future projects.

It's had a rather subdued marketing outside of online video, it's nowhere near say uncharted or quantum break levels of Media spend.

That's how I felt about it also. The massive hype that people have talked about seems to be generated from the reception of the trailers, rather then a continuos effort of the devs.

hawk2025

The media carried the brunt of it. Notice how anticipation built up significantly the moment it was revealed, long before Sony was involved at all.

Sony's marketing machine was giving it plenty of conference showtime and real estate, as well as pushing it as a full $60 game, collector's edition and all.

I haven't seen or heard of a single commercial for the game.

A very smart release and a very smart partnership all around.

Lucifon

Congrats to the team! Must admit though, I'd be interested to see how many of those have been traded back in / resold / returned.

danowat

Banned
AAA refers to budget, not price.
I doubt an indie game like NMS had a massive budget.

Yes, it has Sony marketing machine behind it, but I wouldn't call it a AAA game (though AAA in itself is hard to define).

We've no idea how much (if any?) money Sony poured into Hello games.

If it not's a AAA title, it's still a premium product.

Psoelberg

Congrats to the team. Amazing for a new IP. Enjoying it a lot!

Hope this means lots of substantial updates in the years to come.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Prediction: I think Sony's going to try and make a move on Hello Games.

Not sure Sean Murray is ready for that commitment, but I'd say Sony's trying...

It's had a rather subdued marketing outside of online video, it's nowhere near say uncharted or quantum break levels of Media spend.

This. As far as I'm aware it's had the stage reveals, the IGN "First"'s, and recently the 4 trailers...and that's about it.

The rest of the hype has been generated by gamers and fans projecting onto the game what they want it to be rather than what it is.

JP

Quite surprised by that as I thought it was going to be one of those games the split people completely. I've loved it though, I must have spent absolutely hours playing it and it could well be my game of the year so far although I really can understand completely why others could hate the game.

It seems to be a game that's going to change a lot over the next couple of years so I wouldn't be too surprised to see it becoming a bit of a sleeper hit and building up quite a following.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
O N E M A N ' S L I E

I'm very happy for them tho. I'm really enjoying the game. It'll be interesting to see the legs, cus I think once the outrage calms down people might be more receptive to it.

I actually don't think so. I think the game will have very little legs because it doesn't reeally have the necessary depth. We shall see.

Guymelef

Prediction: I think Sony's going to try and make a move on Hello Games.

Not sure Sean Murray is ready for that commitment, but I'd say Sony's trying...

I think the oposite.
We have seen how the "Console exclusive" logo has disappeared from the box at launch.

Top Bottom