• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arab man killed by racist neighbor in Tulsa, OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
KVgdu5r.jpg
Cpvx0usUMAEFof9.jpg
Khalid Jabara was worried.

Last year, his mother had been jogging through the family’s quiet Tulsa neighborhood when she was nearly killed in a vicious hit-and-run. Police quickly arrested Vernon Majors, who, according to a police report, confessed to the crime and even offered a motive, calling the Jabaras “filthy Lebanese.”

On May 25 of this year, however, Majors bonded out of jail.

That’s when he returned home — right next to the Jabaras.

On Friday, Khalid learned that his next-door neighbor, the man accused of harassing his family and attacking his mother, was now armed.

“Khalid called the police stating this man had a gun and that he was scared for what might happen,” his sister, Victoria Jabara Williams, wrote on Facebook. “The police came and told him there was nothing to be done.”

Minutes later, Khalid was talking on the phone with his family when he stepped outside to get the mail.

Majors was waiting for him, police say.

The 61-year-old opened fire, fatally wounding the 37-year-old Khalid, according to police.

Police confirmed that Khalid Jabara had called 911 minutes before the shooting. Officers responded to a report of someone knocking on the Jabaras’ windows but did not question Majors and left at 6:40 p.m. — just eight minutes before the attack, Walker told The Post.

The sergeant acknowledged that the killing raised questions about how authorities handled the neighborhood feud.

“The Constitution allows for people to bond out,” Walker told The Post. “That said, certainly, knowing what we know today, decisions would be made differently.”

Majors — whose full name is Stanley Vernon Majors — had a history of violence before moving to Tulsa, Walker said. Court records show he was convicted in 2012 of assault with a deadly weapon and making “criminal threats” in San Bernardino County in California.

Majors appears to have moved to Oklahoma shortly afterward.

The problems with his neighbors began almost immediately, records show.

On Aug. 6, 2013, Khalid’s mother, Haifa Jabara, filed a restraining order against Majors, who is white. In the complaint, she said Majors had “harassed” and “stalked” her by “knocking at windows late at nite, harassing me with ugly sex words over the phone, taking pictures and harassing my helper in garage.

“He is very racist towards foreigners and blacks,” she wrote.

Majors responded by filing his own restraining order against her son, Khalid. Majors accused Khalid of harassment, vandalism, trespassing by placing notes on his door as well as “e-mail threats and blackmail.”

It was Majors, however, who was arrested and charged on March 18, 2015, with violating the restraining order.

Lots more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ese-neighbors-led-to-murder-tulsa-police-say/
http://www.fox23.com/news/south-tul...m-and-assault-toward-victims-family/423674132
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/16/us/tulsa-arab-american-shooting-trnd/index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/16/oklahoma-shooting-khalid-jabara-stanley-majors

The Jabara family had been dealing with this crazy neighbor for a long time. Last year he ran over the victims mother and went to jail for it. He was released on bond without any monitoring. He was known to always make racist comments, calling them dirty Arabs and 'Mooslems' (they are a Christian family).

I just cant help but feel the authorities were way too relaxed and indifferent about this situation.

Jintor

This wasn't a feud, it was a straight up harassment campaign that turned into what looks like premeditated murder

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is exactly why we need proper federal gun regulation. This guy is an absolute violent nutjob and was totally upfront about it. He should have never been allowed to get a weapon.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly why we need proper federal gun regulation. This guy is an absolute violent nutjob and was totally upfront about it. He should have never been allowed to get a weapon.

Absolutely. Boggles my mind that a dude that confessed to a hit and run gets to waltz over and buy a weapon. This shit has got to stop.

Derwind

Yeah, I don't need to be rocket scientist to tell you the narrative would be very different had the roles been reversed.

Former convict, known rap sheet, physically assaulted the victims mother with a motor vehicle (among other things) and is armed (probably displayed the weapon for the victim to be aware of such things).

I bet he was such a nice guy too, probably a victim himself, a troubled person with mental health issue
only part that's true
, a was such a community guy..... /sarcasm

Fucking disgusting.

R.I.P to Khalid. Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un.

Why do I feel like somehow someone is going to set up a fundraiser for his legal fees.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one person use the above excuse's I made and/or talk about how he needs reformation not punishment.

Meier

Unreal. How do you bond out of jail after with so few repercussions on a charge like that after already being charged for assault with a deadly weapon only a few years ago? Fucking absurd. Let's be honest, he was only able to do this because he is white.

Klocker

Why wasn't the hit and run originally filed a s a hate crime.

Bullshit. We need to crack down on these people as perpetrating civil rights violations and hold this racism accountable

Jenov

Absolutely terrible. What a fucking failure this was. From shitty gun laws allowing this lunatic a firearm after already being convicted, to the failing of local law enforcement to protect this family. Disgusting. I'm so sorry for that family.

HeySeuss

I don't understand why he was even allowed to have a weapon let alone be free so easily.

It sounds like he hadn't went to trial for the previous crime since he bonded out of jail which you can only do before sentencing. So unless he had a prior record, he wouldn't be a convicted felon at that point, so he could still legally own a firearm.

I would've thought that would have been a stipulation of his release though. It might have been and he still got his hands on a firearm by other means. Pretty easy to buy a gun from a private seller to bypass the background stuff.

Awful story to hear with a lot of blame on th police force. The victim and his mother were clearly being harassed and in fsnrr from the man so to ignore the call lays the blame on them for not acting. Hate the person called Walker who spoke in hindsight how they would have done things different which doesn't change the fact that there is a dead body because of their mistake.

VariantX

So they just let people who commit hate crimes bond out of jail and continue to harass their neighbors? A man is dead because no one who could have actually protected that family actually gave a fuck.

Fucking awful. You always hope stuff like this doesn't happen in this day and age but here it is. Premeditated racially biased murder in broad daylight, and it could have been easily prevented.

This guys rights were more protected than the actual victims in this case.

FUCK GUN LOBBIES

D i Z

Dude has recorded incidents of armed violence and gets thrown into the slammer for running his neighbor over. That wasn't enough to ban him from returning home with his obvious targets living right next door? Or even investigating his situation when they called the police to the scene because they felt threatened? What kind of shit is this?

Mr. X

How was he able to legally posses a firearm?

This country is so fucked up. Racist white dude who was arrested for trying to kill a minority let out on bail without a fucking care in the world for the safety of anyone around him. Fuck these cops.

BriGuy

Why was he allowed to be armed, and why couldn't the police do anything about it if he has a history in violence?
I don't know if they could have done anything about it other than monitor him 24/7 (like if he was in prison where he belonged, for example). I hate guns and the "good guy with a gun" narrative, but if someone hates you that much and has enacted violence against you or your family in the past, you should arm yourself. It's one of the few extenuating circumstances I can think of to justify concealed carry.

Wouldnt it be more appropriate to see a pic of the victim as opposed to this piece of shit?

I cant believe he got out and was able to finish what he started. How the fuck is something like that able to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom