• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed man calls police after being robbed, shot by responding officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early Tuesday in Indianapolis, an African-American woman was being carjacked in front of her home in her working class neighborhood. She ran back in the house, told her husband, who is also black, and they called the police to report the robbery. That seemed to be the right and safe thing to do.

As the police pulled up, the husband, who was later identified as 48-year-old Carl Williams, opened the garage to their home and was immediately shot in the gut by police.

They claim they believed he was the robber and that because he had a firearm of his own, he was shot in self-defense. Officials identified the officer who shot Williams as nine-year veteran cop Christopher Mills.

He, of course, was not the robber. In fact, police have yet to even say if they caught the robber. Since they dusted the car for fingerprints, it appears that the actual man committing a crime got away and the man who wanted to protect his wife and family was instead shot and currently fighting for his own life in the hospital.

"I think that's really crazy. What do we have, trigger-happy police officers out here now?" asked Angela Parrot, who lives in the neighborhood told the Indy Star.

Speaking to the Daily News, several reporters and neighbors all confirmed that the husband who was shot was black, but said that they do not yet know the ethnicity of the officer who shot him.

Whatever the case, the violent encounter should help illuminate the very real fears so many black families have when calling the police. This family needed help. They wanted to report a crime in their neighborhood. The husband wanted to protect his wife. These are all very basic rights we have, but day after day we see that gun rights don't really apply equally to African-Americans.

Merely reaching for his wallet got Philando Castile shot and killed in his own car. Having a gun in his pocket caused police to shoot Alton Sterling repeatedly in his back and chest.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cops-calling-report-robbery-article-1.2762748

"I think that's really crazy. What do we have, trigger-happy police officers out here now?" asked Angela Parrot, who lives in the neighborhood told the Indy Star.

Angela, you might want to sit down for this...

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Angela, you might want to sit down for this...

My thoughts exactly when I read this.

Local article with more details on this: http://www.theindychannel.com/news/c...cted-carjacker

The mistaken identity part of this is understandable given the circumstances stated.

The shooting someone immediately without a warning part is utterly f'ing insane.

The first time something like this occurs, it could be argued as understandable. The second time less so. The thousandth time makes a pattern of Police and racism against minorities.

I clicked the linked stories in the article and oh look it's even worse than it appears

In the 911 call, no vocal exchange could be heard between the homeowner and officer who fired his weapon. Riddle and Taylor said it was still unclear whether the officer gave any verbal commands to the homeowner.

Williams' handgun was recovered from the home, but there was no indication that Williams raised his weapon, fired his weapon or brandished it in a threatening way.

Investigators have not spoken with the officer who fired his weapon or the homeowner who was wounded. Williams was rushed into surgery before detectives could question him, Riddle said, and the officer did not release a statement before seeking counsel.

Sources say it's unclear if the officers yelled out, "Police!" or told him to drop the gun before firing. On the original 911 call and police traffic about the incident that were played at a press conference Tuesday afternoon, no audio was played back that revealed this, and IMPD said that exchange was not available on any of the recordings.

Order

He matched the description

Mistakes happen

I don't blame the officers because I'm sure they didn't mean it

It's not a problem because he survived

Did I miss any

Why would a robber be hiding in a garage and open it when cops arrive?!

Chappelle made a joke about this
kirb always gives the cops the benefit of the doubt regardless of circumstance and past history, don't let it get to you.

As for the story it isn't surprising, that's why black neighborhood don't like to help cops.

Log4Girlz

African Americans are not citizens. Imagine if this were happening to whites on a regular basis. .. there would be a fucking war.

What a sad country this is. No justice.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
They mistook the victim's car for the attacker's and thought he was still on the premises.

The shooting is not justified in the least.

I'm sure they did. Didn't have anything to do with the fact that he was black.

kirblar

The first time something like this occurs, it could be argued as understandable. The second time less so. The thousandth time makes a pattern of Police and racism against minorities.
Throughout the call, multiple officers responded and dispatchers told those officers the suspect was last seen in a black car at the home.

Officers were unaware that the black car still sitting in the driveway when they arrived was actually the woman’s car.

The man was on the phone with 911 for more than three minutes. At the end of the call, the man was heard saying, "Is that him?" before the line was disconnected. Dispatchers tried to call him back multiple times, but he didn't answer.

At the same time IMPD officers arrived at the home and saw a black car in the driveway with its lights on. At this point, officers believed this was the suspect's car and they started looking for him.
The actual shooting: totally racism in action
kirb always gives the cops the benefit of the doubt regardless of circumstance and past history, don't let it get to you.

As for the story it isn't surprising, that's why black neighborhood don't like to help cops.
I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt here, they shot a man on sight with no warning or anything. That isn't acceptable, is totally due to racism, etc.

If they handle this correctly, the situation gets defused quickly and safely. They didn't do that whatsoever.

He shouldn't have been black. That was his first mistake
f3y3VmB.gif

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The actual shooting: totally racism in action

It was sorry. If it was a white man in that garage they wouldn't have shot, they would have used other methods to descalate the situation.

In fact there are multiple cases where situations like this have happened. Guess what the white guy never got shot.

But keep running along with your little agenda buddy!

kirblar

It was sorry. If it was a white man in that garage they wouldn't have shot, they would have used other methods to descalate the situation.

In fact there are multiple cases where situations like this have happened. Guess what the white guy never got shot.

But keep running along with your little agenda buddy!
What agenda, I'm agreeing with you?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
What agenda, I'm agreeing with you?

Your post comes off as sarcasm when you say totally racist ect...

Also you said it was understandable that they mistook him for the criminal, why even post that if you are against what happened.

It sounds like you are just trying to defend the police.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt here, they shot a man on sight with no warning or anything. That isn't acceptable, is totally due to racism, etc
The mistaken identity part of this is understandable given the circumstances stated.

kirblar

Your post comes off as sarcasm when you say totally racist ect...

Also you said it was understandable that they mistook him for the criminal, why even post that if you are against what happened.

It sounds like you are just trying to defend the police.
I'm trying to say that the mixup/confusion was understandable. The shooting was not. As you said, if it's a white guy, they probably de-escalate. They didn't do that here, very likely because he was black.

Sorry if I'm unclear on that- we've got multiple 911/dispatch logs and a pretty clear timeline of events here that makes it clear a guy shot on sight in a fog of war situation without trying to de-escalate in a circumstance that didn't warrant it, which is completely disgusting, unacceptable, etc.

I don't understand why you think I'm being sarcastic.

HariKari

Are the cops responding to a simple robbery call in America or clearing a house in Fallujah? Jesus. Just shot the guy straight away.

RPGCrazied

Really have to do something about these trigger happy cops. They are suppose to be there to deescalate a situation not shoot at anything that moves. Christ. Hide your pets too, they love to shoot dogs.

Why do black people have such a distrust of police?

I mean if you saw a guy coming out his garage in an aggressive manor you'd shoot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom