• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So as of today it's been one year since I started my fitness journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
One-year-Transformation by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

I've participated in a quite a few of the fitness threads and shared my progress on some of the post but I've never made a thread on my personal journey and the results I've gotten.

I've been an advocate of calorie counting, along with intermittent fasting, low volume/high intensity training and it has proved really effective while also extremely easy to sustain. I only train 2-3 days a week with a upper/lower body split and my only cardio is done via walking 15min to and from the gym.

I did this without the aid of any doctors, trainers, or any special medication, just the stuff I could find online that made sense and I could fit into my lifestyle.

Hopefully my results can spark some hope into people who are in a similar situation and are scared to take the plunge. Everyday we do things like go to school, or work where a certain amount of effort is expected from us with absolutely no guarantee that there will be any reward waiting for us in the end. People put years into jobs that make them miserable to eventually never get promoted and in some cases fired without any reasoning. Fitness is the only thing I've encountered where you are guaranteed to be rewarded for the effort you put in. That's why I always refer to it as the easiest "hard" thing you'll ever do.

Fluvian

Banned
Bad after photo but I can see the progress you've made, well done mate, taking control of your body is taking control of your life.

People need to turn up their brightness.

Holy shit OP. Im just starting out and its insipring to see this. Thanks for sharing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Amazing work. You've improved your appearance a hundred-fold.

Needs a better after picture though, but I dig the style.

Smo21

Congrats. I would really like to know your routine And diet. Did you use an app for calories? Was fitnessgaf a help?

Surfinn

6ft tall

I remained in a calorie deficit and used intermittent fasting while prioritizing a high protein intake. Sometimes I would raise the amount of carbs on the days before heavy lifting but that gave me varied results on performance.

Sure, but what specifically did/do you eat? Fast food? What kind of diet? Keto? Stay away from junk food? Thanks.

Congrats. I would really like to know your routine And diet. Did you use an app for calories? Was fitnessgaf a help?

Myfitnesspal for calories. My routine consisted of an upper/lower body split where I'd do two full upper body workouts and one full lower body workout each week. The workouts prioritized Reverse Pyramid Training which focuses on building strength and muscle hypertrophy as a byproduct of it. So in these workouts you'd start with your heaviest set and do 6 reps, then lower the weight by 20% and do 8 reps, then lower 20% more and do 10. Each set with 2-3 minute rest periods in between.

Sure, but what specifically did/do you eat? Fast food? What kind of diet? Keto? Stay away from junk food? Thanks.

The thing is that I prioritized my food intake by how favorable their numbers where, especially when it came to protein vs calories. So it was made up of a majority of low calorie foods that had high protein values, like tuna, chicken breast, protein bars, greek yogurt and things of the like.

Of course whenever I wanted something like pizza I always fit it into my calories but I had to make a conscious choice to waste my calories on something just because of the taste and not based on nutrition. Soon enough when you play the numbers game these foods start being less important to you since they detract you from your goal.

I used to drink 2 liters of soda a day, which immediately had to stop because the calories didn't allow for it to fit into a healthy diet. The same with alcohol and junk food. Of course I never completely eliminated these foods, they just stopped being what I used on a day to day basis for my body's nutrition.

Myfitnesspal for calories. My routine consisted of an upper/lower body split where I'd do two full upper body workouts and one full lower body workout each week. The workouts prioritized Reverse Pyramid Training which focuses on building strength and muscle hypertrophy as a byproduct of it. So in these workouts you'd start with your heaviest set and do 6 reps, then lower the weight by 20% and do 8 reps, then lower 20% more and do 10. Each set with 2-3 minute rest periods in between.
What made you go with reverse pyramid and not the regular?

What made you go with reverse pyramid and not the regular?

I sat down one day when rested on a bench machine and started going up every single weight in single reps until I couldn't anymore. I stopped at like 135lbs. The thing is at the time in my regular bench press routine my highest weight was maybe 90lbs for like 5reps. So I figured I had so much potential strength that I wasn't using because I was fatigued by the time I got to the heavy set.

The next time I went for my regular routine I started on my heaviest set and I was able to 125lb for 6 reps right off the bat. I continued that way and my strength has progressed much faster than it had previously. Today I could do incline bench on that same machine with 240lbs for 6 reps.

I sat down one day when rested on a bench machine and started going up every single weight in single reps until I couldn't anymore. I stopped at like 135lbs. The thing is at the time in my regular bench press routine my highest weight was maybe 90lbs for like 5reps. So I figured I had so much potential strength that I wasn't using because I was fatigued by the time I got to the heavy set.

The next time I went for my regular routine I started on my heaviest set and I was able to 125lb for 6 reps right off the bat. I continued that way and my strength has progressed much faster than it had previously. Today I could do incline bench on that same machine with 240lbs for 6 reps.
This is a good point i have heard made before. With the regular you are tired by the time you reach a heavy weight. I may change to reverse in a little while at least to experiment.

New002

Congratulations OP. Inspiring stuff. I just started the journey this week and if I can achieve anything close to your level of success I'll be one happy camper. Keep up the awesome work!

Doodis

Have never heard of (or thought about) this approach before. Have you had any issues with not being "warmed up" for the heavy weight at all? Everything I've read suggests the lower weight first in order to warm up the muscles.

Also, congrats!

Have never heard of (or thought about) this approach before. Have you had any issues with not being "warmed up" for the heavy weight at all? Everything I've read suggests the lower weight first in order to warm up the muscles.

Also, congrats!

You do have to warm up before, sorry if that wasn't clear. You do one or two sets of warms ups with lighter weights (nothing that remotely approaches your actual workload). Of course this is way more important when using free weights since the risk of injury is higher, but I only use Reverse Pyramid Training when working on machines.

Damn bro inspiring. Do you have any front on pics

I've been training for over a year but diet has always held me back.

How much did you lose per week on your set up?

SgtCobra

Seems you had to skip on salami, mangu con queso frito y pica pollo. I sure as hell couldn't, good work man and congrats with your acomplishments.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Hmm, you might have just convinced me to give it a shot. i'm starting with the heavier sets next time in the gym to see what happens.

How did you work out your calorie goal? My personal trainer has me on a calorie goal a lot higher than a lot of the online calorie calculators would indicate

dc3k

XIJIkF5.jpg

JB1981

This is a good point i have heard made before. With the regular you are tired by the time you reach a heavy weight. I may change to reverse in a little while at least to experiment.

I recommend choosing a "work set" weight and do that for 3 sets of 5. Add 2.5 or 5lbs to next time.

Example. Work set = 135
Warm-up 45lbs (the bar) 5x3
Weight/reps/sets
75lbs 5x1
85lbs 3x1
105 2x1
115 1x1
135 5x3

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
I'm just starting out the opposite journey (gaining weight, body fat and muscle mass).
So far working on eating a lot more, getting my sleep in order and doing high intensity training every other day for 30 minutes.

Mashing

Congrats OP. Now if I could just get off my ass and just get in shape (I'm not overweight but my BMI is probably pretty high and I know I have elevated cholesterol). For me though, the hardest part would be the diet change rather than hitting the gym.

Damn bro inspiring. Do you have any front on pics

I've been training for over a year but diet has always held me back.

How much did you lose per week on your set up?

Still working on that six pack, so all you get is the back for now. Unfortunately pretty much all of the remaining fat in my body is localized in my belly and chest, so the front pics don't look as impressive.

Are you Domincano, OP?

You look like someone I know.

Klk compai, Samuel de ete lao.

How did you work out your calorie goal? My personal trainer has me on a calorie goal a lot higher than a lot of the online calorie calculators would indicate

Usually when filling out calorie calculators you'll input your goals in order to lose to most weight per week leading the calculator to give you pretty much the minimum calories required to sustain yourself. This is ok when you've got a lot of fat, but once you go under 20% a really low calorie deficit will affect how your body retains muscle mass. So it is better to stay closer to your maintenance calories.

My maintenance was 2,500 and throughout most of my diet I ate about 1800 calories a day. More recently it's taken a toll on me during lifting days so I make sure to get at least 2,000 or even go to maintenance on those days.

Chances are your trainer wants you to stay closer to your maintenance levels.

bidguy

Banned

with bench machine are you referring to the smith machine or that incline thing ?

not wanna put you down but freeweights are always better. whats your max on regular bench ?

with bench machine are you referring to the smith machine or that incline thing ?

not wanna put you down but freeweights are always better. whats your max on regular bench ?

I know they're better and I'm slowly incorporating them into my workouts just to change things up. Honestly I couldn't tell you how much I could bench on a regular barbell because I've never tried it with anything other than really light weight. I only use Hammer Strengh style machines for my heavy lifts.

Still working on that six pack, so all you get is the back for now. Unfortunately pretty much all of the remaining fat in my body is localized in my belly and chest, so the front pics don't look as impressive.

Klk compai, Samuel de ete lao.

Usually when filling out calorie calculators you'll input your goals in order to lose to most weight per week leading the calculator to give you pretty much the minimum calories required to sustain yourself. This is ok when you've got a lot of fat, but once you go under 20% a really low calorie deficit will affect how your body retains muscle mass. So it is better to stay closer to your maintenance calories.

My maintenance was 2,500 and throughout most of my diet I ate about 1800 calories a day. More recently it's taken a toll on me during lifting days so I make sure to get at least 2,000 or even go to maintenance on those days.

Chances are your trainer wants you to stay closer to your maintenance levels.
I'm st 29% body fat I can probably be more aggressive with calories I think. Of course I don't want to lose muscle progress I've made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom