• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PS2 RPGs should I play?

killatopak

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Dragon Quest XIII

Wat

SScorpio

Perhaps try an SMT game, SMT: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in EU) is widely praised, or try one of the spinoffs like Digital Devil Saga or Raidou.

They are pretty different from Persona 3/4 but you'll be familiar with some of the terms and mechanics already.

Some of those games are available on PSN for PS3 if that's a better option for you.

It's probably blasphemy, but I've never beaten SMT3. I did go through all of DDS, Devil Summoner Raidou, and Personas. The DDS games were the first I finished, the seemed more like the standard JRPGs someone might be used to, with the SMT twists.

Hyoukokun

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has one of the better combat systems of any JRPG I've played (nice meaty turn-based tactical system), great music by Mitsuda and Sakimoto, and an unusual setting (far-future underground civilization). Give it a shot!

leroidys

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has one of the better combat systems of any JRPG I've played (nice meaty turn-based tactical system), great music by Mitsuda and Sakimoto, and an unusual setting (far-future underground civilization). Give it a shot!

Yup, seconding this. Especially considering OP's name/avatar.

Lynx_7

I'm amazed with people recommending BoF: Dragon Quarter. The game was a complete departure from what Breath of Fire was about (which is commendable but...), and the game was very frustrating with its system. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this game is BoF in name only.

Considering OP seems to be a BOF fan, maybe it's a game worth playing through to see what it's about, but I'd play some of the other great RPGs on the PS2 first before taking it on.

GAF having a dedicated, relatively large Dragon Quarter cult following is one of the coolest shits about this forum. People of good taste, the game is great. I've always said it should've been a new IP though, then it wouldn't need to carry all that negative baggage from BoF fans.

Dragon Quest XIII
Xenosaga trilogy
Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Where do you come from and how do I get there?

Burglekutt

The two best rpgs on PS2 are Final Fantasy Xll and Dragon Quest Vlll so.......Dragon Quest Vlll should be at the top of your list.

jb1234

Right, definitely will play these. I bought III on PSN when it came out but haven't gotten around to it. Suikoden II might be my favourite PSX RPG after FF9.

If you loved Suikoden II, I think you'll be very happy with V. Man, the PS2 had so many great RPGs (most listed already).

Fou-Lu

See quite a few games I find myself wanting to play recommended so far (and a few I forgot to put in the OP as having already played).

So back when the PS2 came out I got one for Christmas, but my dad lost his job shortly after that and I ended up getting very few games for the console. As a huge fan of RPGs missing out on one of the best RPG lineups should be something I correct. I have played and enjoyed:

Final Fantasy X and XII
Dark Cloud 1 and 2
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Persona 3 and 4
Disgaea
Shadow Hearts

good shit. Dark Cloud 2 is one of the BEST RPG's i've ever played. FFX is my favorite and first FF game. Kingdom Hearts 1 was great, and Persona 3 changed my life. ;___;

not a big fan of Disgaea and never tried Shadow Hearts.

you pretty much covered all the games i was gonna mention, ha.

Uthred

Came in to recommend Shadow Hearts Covenant but I see you have it covered. So I'll just echo some of the other recommendations:

SMT: Nocturne - Great game, huge, punishing, odd, sort of the quintessential SMT experience
Suikoden III - Scandalously my favourite Suikoden
Front Mission 5 - One caveat, its pretty much a love song/swan song for the franchise and doesnt make a lot of sense if you havent played the previous games
Stella Deus - Fun and lovely looking SRPG, rarely see it mentioned
Xenosaga 1-3 - While the games have some variance in terms of mechanics the setting, the characters, the story are all great. Especially if you get all the references, a lot of which can be fairly obscure.
Ar Tonelico - Interesting world, sadly a bit too easy, the later games also got a bit odd in terms of fanservice, but IIRC the first one is ok/tame.

I'd also give the nod to Atelier Iris 3, Rogue Galaxy and Baroque, all three have their flaws but are arguably still worth it. The PS2 really was nuts for quality RPG's and thats just the ones that got localised, I always wanted to play some of the Japan only ones like Dragon Shadow Spell and Pride of the Dragon Peace

Xenosaga is great. 1 has the best in game CCG (you heard me, Geralt) of all time. They really should have kept it in the sequels. I like 2, lots of folks hate it. 3 is a pretty rad game with lots of interesting reveals.
Suikoden 3 is excelkent.
La Pucelle is a step down from Disgaea but still good.
Grandia 2 is a good time.
If you can hunt down Way of the Samurai, it's not an rpg but it is really unique and fun, like a choose your own adventure.

Frimaire

I'm playing through the second Digital Devil Saga game right now and I'm really enjoying it.
Really, all of Atlus' stuff on the PS2 is great.

Taruranto

As someone who intends to play this series i'm curious to know why you don't like them.

REALLY bad dungeons (semi-random generated crap with like 5 skins across all four games) and bad combat.

The plot itself would have been fine if not filled with endless padding. (Go at the end of a dungeon to talk to an NPC that will send you to the next dungeon and then go back to the previous dungeon end AGAIN.)

There is also batshit crazy stuff in part 4 that really should be played on emulator, unless you want to go insane with virus cores farming and random game-overs.

It's basically a 60 hours RPG sold as four games, but if you take out all the fillers, it's actually 30 hours long.

G.U. is a little better and actually controls semi-decently, but it still has the same terribad repetitive dungeons/fields and it's basically one game sold as 3.

Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land first person dungeon crawl with a dark story
Champions of Norrath mindless hack and slash but fun
Front Mission 4 & 5 people recommend 5 and it is better, but I liked the characters better in 4 so

And shouldnt OP wait to play DQVIII on 3ds?

Sanctuary

SMT: Nocturne - Great game, huge, punishing, odd, sort of the quintessential SMT experience

Back in the 16-bit days, I ended up getting my aunt hooked on RPGs. I then ended up buying her a PSX when it was released, and she ended up playing literally every single PSX RPG she could get her hands on. Years passed, and I hadn't seen her for a pretty long time. Ended up visiting her in 2014, only to see that not only did she have a PS2 still, but she had a pretty big collection of PS2 RPGs, and when she pulled out a game and said "this was one of my favorites", and it was Nocturne, I couldn't believe it.

And shouldnt OP wait to play DQVIII on 3ds?

Not if they can emulate it now on PCSX2. Plus, not everyone wants to play on a microscopic screen.

Caim

Dragon Quest VIII
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Wild Arms 3
Radiata Stories
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

etrain911

Steambot Chronicles It is a really underrated gem that only got two psp spin-offs. It has a water-color aesthetic to it (think Valkyria Chronicles) and plays like a mix between a life sim, a mech game, and a music game.

Aselith

Back in the 16-bit days, I ended up getting my aunt hooked on RPGs. I then ended up buying her a PSX when it was released, and she ended up playing literally every single PSX RPG she could get her hands on. Years passed, and I hadn't seen her for a pretty long time. Ended up visiting her in 2014, only to see that not only did she have a PS2 still, but she had a pretty big collection of PS2 RPGs, and when she pulled out a game and said "this was one of my favorites", and it was Nocturne, I couldn't believe it.

Auntie had good taste!

sublimit

Banned
REALLY bad dungeons (semi-random generated crap with like 5 skins across all four games) and bad combat.

The plot itself would have been fine if not filled with endless padding. (Go at the end of a dungeon to talk to an NPC that will send you to the next dungeon and then go back to the previous dungeon end AGAIN.)

There is also batshit crazy stuff in part 4 that really should be played on emulator, unless you want to go insane with virus cores farming and random game-overs.

It's basically a 60 hours RPG sold as four games, but if you take out all the fillers, it's actually 30 hours long.

G.U. is a little better and actually controls semi-decently, but it still has the same terribad repetitive dungeons/fields and it's basically one game sold as 3.

I see, thanks for your opinion man much appreciated!I still want to try them though because from what i've seen i really LOVE the art direction and atmosphere of those games.I also really liked what i've listened of their soundtracks.

Fou-Lu

Steambot Chronicles It is a really underrated gem that only got two psp spin-offs. It has a water-color aesthetic to it (think Valkyria Chronicles) and plays like a mix between a life sim, a mech game, and a music game.

A music game? How does that work?

Fou-Lu

One day I will look back and have played all the good JRPGs. That will be a sad day. But for now I get to play so many! It's exciting.

Lucentto

Banned
I really need to get off my ass and play some of these games. Even to this day I have never finished Nocturne or DDS. I started them, but something always came up that stopped my playthrough. Well, I'm currently unemployed and have jack shit to do, I might as well try to start these again.

SkyOdin

I'm amazed with people recommending BoF: Dragon Quarter. The game was a complete departure from what Breath of Fire was about (which is commendable but...), and the game was very frustrating with its system. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this game is BoF in name only.

Considering OP seems to be a BOF fan, maybe it's a game worth playing through to see what it's about, but I'd play some of the other great RPGs on the PS2 first before taking it on.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is a pretty big departure from the norm for the series, but it is also one of the best RPGs ever made. I think it still stays true to a lot of the core themes and aspects of the series, though. It has a narrative that stays true to the themes present in BoF 3 and 4, and characters based on ones that appeared in previous entries.

But it bears repeating that Dragon Quarter is not only a great PS2 RPG, but one of the absolute best RPGs of all time. There is a reason my avatar comes from it; I think every RPG fan owes it to themselves to play Dragon Quarter, regardless of whether or not they are fans of the other Breath of Fire games.

Misterhbk

Dot hack series. All 7 games!
Suikoden series. All 3 on PS2
I'm currently playing Suikoden V and it's starts off super slow but once the story kicks in it's pretty damn awesome. Seriously sucks the series died after such a strong entry.

I really need to get off my ass and play some of these games. Even to this day I have never finished Nocturne or DDS. I started them, but something always came up that stopped my playthrough. Well, I'm currently unemployed and have jack shit to do, I might as well try to start these again.

Yeah I still need to beat DDS2 but the game got so cheap at times it would really piss me off.

I think I'm one of the few that didn't love Suikoden 3. 2 is probably my second favorite game of all time, but something about 3 put me off it. Maybe it was the stories jumping around so much.

Top Bottom