• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PS2 RPGs should I play?

The reason I put it behind PS1 and PS2 is that while several big ones are there, by being pre-FF7, the system missed out on a fuckton of those games at the time (for us English speakers, anyway).

I think if I'd grown up being able to play DQ5 and 6, Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, etc, I'd look back at the SNES more fondly.

Aselith

The reason I put it behind PS1 and PS2 is that while several big ones are there, by being pre-FF7, the system missed out on a fuckton of those games at the time (for us English speakers, anyway).

I think if I'd grown up being able to play DQ5 and 6, Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, etc, I'd look back at the SNES more fondly.

Yeah, it definitely did miss out on some big Japan exclusives but even just the English lineup is so strong even "B-Tier" stuff like Secret of Evermore and the Breath of Fire games and deep cuts like Robotrek are so great that I definitely favor it.

Plus, I think that the games generally hold up better since they don't have those early 3D shittiness problems to muddy the graphics.

All great systems though. The gaming gods were good to us for a long stretch there!

The real god-tier RPG system is DS anyways!

Opa-Pa

You should give Nocturne another chance. It's kinda slow at first, story is alright and most central characters are terrible but the world is pretty interesting, music is wonderful (sound quality is bad tho) and the combat is fantastic. Plus if you've already finished SJ then it shouldn't be hard at all.

If not, there's always Digital Devil Saga. Gameplay isn't as exciting but it's still great, and you get the whole package here. Everything from story, to characters and music is superb.

Xenosaga Episode II is the weakest link in the trilogy... but still have good story and wonderful OST and fun battle system.

I wish we could open a portal to the universe were Xenogears was a well-executed 6-part sci-fi saga that has yet to be matched in gaming. Some sad series called "Mass Effect" tried, but just couldn't hit the peak that Xenogears did.

But no, instead we got Xenosaga, and that was pretty cool too, but then got all butchered and weird with three different games with wildly different gameplay, visuals, and general quality (IMO). I mean, I'm glad it exists, but I can't think of another trilogy where each title is so different from the previous one in so many ways, and on a single console no less!

But no, instead we got Xenosaga, and that was pretty cool too, but then got all butchered and weird with three different games with wildly different gameplay, visuals, and general quality (IMO). I mean, I'm glad it exists, but I can't think of another trilogy where each title is so different from the previous one in so many ways, and on a single console no less!

shion.jpg

Yeah I know what do you mean... Xenosaga Episode III hit the PERFECT note and ended up being one of the best JRPG games of all time, if only they decided on the same note as Ep III from the start....

FInal Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Suikoden V
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Rebirth (because best battle system ever)
SMT: Nocturne (you can also try the DDS games but Nocturne is the best and you should give it another look)
Persona 3/4

Dark_castle

The real god-tier RPG system is DS anyways!

DS?

You're counting its backward compatiblity list right? The system itself only otherwise house a neat selection of DQ and Pokemon, and some Atlus's RPG's here and there, but otherwise it wouldn't even come close to SNES, PS1 and PS2.

Aselith

DS?

You're counting its backward compatiblity list right? The system itself only otherwise house a neat selection of DQ and Pokemon, and some Atlus's RPG's here and there, but otherwise it wouldn't even come close to SNES, PS1 and PS2.

Yeah I was thinking about backward comp. :p

Taruranto

I see, thanks for your opinion man much appreciated!I still want to try them though because from what i've seen i really LOVE the art direction and atmosphere of those games.I also really liked what i've listened of their soundtracks.

I would honestly suggest playing it on emulator if you can, the ability to fast forward during the filler dungeons or when you are hunting for virus cores is a god send and it will make the title at least enjoyable.

This is the post I was looking for. I still can't decide between PS1 and PS2 for best RPG machine ever.

I feel like PS1 has the highest degree of truly memorable stuff, PS2 quality is overall weaker ( I'm not saying bad, mind you) and we lost a lot of important features like the world map but it does have really A LOT of more games.

Dragon Quest 8 but if you have a 3ds I suggest waiting until it releases there in the west since there's loads of extra content.

Breath of Fire V would also be a clear choice based on your avatar.

GAF having a dedicated, relatively large Dragon Quarter cult following is one of the coolest shits about this forum. People of good taste, the game is great. I've always said it should've been a new IP though, then it wouldn't need to carry all that negative baggage from BoF fans.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is easily one of my Top 3 RPGs of All Time. It's almost nothing like the other games (or other RPGs in general) and it quite unforgiving (but it is possible to beat without restarting if you play well), but so worth it. It's almost a Survival Horror/RPG hybrid in a lot of ways. It features fantastic music, a minimalist but exceptionally well done story (and some of the best directed cutscenes ever), an excellent battle system, and good replay value.

Bishop89

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

hot damn.

Maybe i should get into the smt series.
The only games ive played are the persona ones.

Im hoping nocturne is on the playstation store (ps2 classic?).

I assume this series is like final fantasy where they don't connect and I can jump in wherever.

Frimaire

hot damn.

I assume this series is like final fantasy where they don't connect and I can jump in wherever.

The guy right above you linked to the PS store.
And yeah, you don't need to play any of the previous SMT games or anything.
Edit: For Nocturne, I mean. Some SMT games are direct sequels, Like Digital Devil Saga>Digital Devil Saga 2

Opa-Pa

hot damn.

It's available on the US PSN store as a ps2 clasic for PS3 at least, and yeah very few games in the series are directly connected, and Nocturne is fair game for newcomers.

It's a bit punishing at first but as long as you learn to use de/buffs and fuse new demons regularly, you won't have much trouble. Combat is similar to P3 and 4 except 10 times more fun and with more freedom. It's a blast.

Zukuu

Banned
digital devil saga 1/2
No
SMT Nocturne
Yes
Dragon Quest 8.
Yes
Valkyrie Profile 2 is great. Has one of the most interesting JRPG battle systems ever.
Story / setting is godlike, but the battle system is utter trash imo.
Don't play Rogue Galaxy. It's one of the worst-designed games I have ever played
It's ok. Just average in everything and can be very grindy if you want to complete everything. Just played it earlier this year and I've played worse.
King's Field IV
GOD NO DON'T (and I love the game).
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
NO
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
Yes (if you can co-op)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One day I will look back and have played all the good JRPGs. That will be a sad day. But for now I get to play so many! It's exciting.

I thought about this, and considering what games I have played and what remains (and I have played a sizeable chunk of RPGs), I'll probably still have stuff to play when I'm in my 80's, even if Japan suddenly decides to completely shut down their core gaming development tomorrow.

Fou-Lu

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is easily one of my Top 3 RPGs of All Time. It's almost nothing like the other games (or other RPGs in general) and it quite unforgiving (but it is possible to beat without restarting if you play well), but so worth it. It's almost a Survival Horror/RPG hybrid in a lot of ways. It features fantastic music, a minimalist but exceptionally well done story (and some of the best directed cutscenes ever), an excellent battle system, and good replay value.

People have a way of making this game sound amazing. Does it run well on pcsx2? Might be my next buy.

leroidys

Awesome post. It makes me really happy that someone else appreciated the cutscene direction as much as I did. The models are simple, the animations are limited, there's no voice acting, but for to the direction they feel light years ahead of other PS2 JRPGs of the time (not naming names).

I recently played Final Fantasy XII, and it was way, way better than I had remembered it. At the time I thought it was strange it didn't have random battles, but now I realize it was way ahead of its time.

Last edited:

Fou-Lu

Imo, a hidden gem in the ps2's rpg library is Orphen: Scion of Sorcery. I believe it was a launch title. Don't get me wrong, the game is a mess, has worse than Dreamcast-quality graphics, and may have less than 200 battles in the whole game, but I enjoyed the story and the game has a lot of unique action-adventure concepts which broke the mold of turn-based rpgs. Be sure to complete it with all the characters to unlock the final storyline.

I had a friend in school who would not shut up about this game back then haha. Mind you, I wouldn't shut up about Final Fantasy IX so...

ar4757

Back in the 16-bit days, I ended up getting my aunt hooked on RPGs. I then ended up buying her a PSX when it was released, and she ended up playing literally every single PSX RPG she could get her hands on. Years passed, and I hadn't seen her for a pretty long time. Ended up visiting her in 2014, only to see that not only did she have a PS2 still, but she had a pretty big collection of PS2 RPGs, and when she pulled out a game and said "this was one of my favorites", and it was Nocturne, I couldn't believe it.

That's amazing. I wonder what her favorite demon is :p

Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1/2.
With the exception of Persona 3&4 and Shadow Hearts 1&2 (which you already played/are playing) nothing else on the system comes even close.
If you want more SMT check out Devil Summoner 1&2.

Xenosaga 3 is pretty good but you'll need to play 1&2... Still worth it imo, 2 is pretty bad but fortunately not very long.

Stay away from Rogue Galaxy and Wild Arms V, never have I regretted the time wasted on a game like with these.
These games taught me a valuable lesson, if it still sucks after 10 hours drop it, don't expect it to get better and don't feel forced to finish it because of the time you already invested, wasting 10 hours is a hell of a lot better than wasting 60.

Right on regarding SMT games! And yeah, that 10 hours wasted is better than 60 is a great quote that I need to always remember haha

Top Bottom