• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a headset (PS4)

Hello GAF,

Been looking into getting a headset for my PS4. Accepting recommendations:

- Under or around $200
- Game and chat audio controls
- Points added to wireless (without connecting to the DS4 if possible)

My current considerations are:

- Turtle Beach 520 (only being released in Oct)
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Stealth-Wireless-playstation-4/dp/B01JS3F79I/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

- Turtle Beach PX4
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Wireless-Surround-Talkback-PlayStation-4/dp/B00NHV0XV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472299646&sr=1-1&keywords=Turtle+Beach+Ear+Force+PX4

- Kingston HyperX Cloud II
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCXWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472297891&sr=1-2&keywords=hyperx+cloud+2

- Turtle Beach 800 (willing to go a bit over my price range if they are really that worth it)
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Cancellation-playstation-4-3/dp/B00MNPDMEQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472297851&sr=1-2&keywords=800x

zoukka

BU006ak_112960_800x800.jpg

AKG K612 PRO headset with (directed) Modmic.

Will cost under 200 and destroy any "gaming" headset in the market in sound quality and comfort.

edit: yeah for PS4 you would need a splitter for the mic, so maybe this isn't the handiest setup for you.

If you want to stay at $100 or under, the HyperX Cloud II is the one to buy, puts all others to shame.

If you want to spend closer to $150-200, either buy headphones and a modmic, the AKG set above, or the Sennheiser Game One or Game Zero.

Kyoufu

What's the best wireless headset on the market at the moment? I know Astro are launching the new A50 soon but I wonder if I could do better with $250.

brentech

I'd always recommend the Astro A40s. Should be able to get them for around 200. The A50s are wireless but cost more.
Super comfortable headphones, but I just hate the mixamp.
I bought them thinking PS4, but they stay permanently connected to PC now.

joebruin

Curious if the people recommending wired are gaming in their living rooms or more of a pc-like setup.

Wired is a pain in the ass and I'd take the hit in sound quality (which to be honest a large percentage of people wouldn't be able to pick out) to go wireless. Then again Unslightly cables running all over the place bug me. It's especially bad if you have a headphone mix amp and add on mic type setup.

Anyone I would say to wait to see if the a50s gen 3 are better. The headsets from lucidsound sound pretty good too. I'm intrigued if the ls40 will be good or just another run of the mill headset with average sound quality.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The PlayStation Gold headset is nice. Easy as hell to use, official profiles, etc.

I have XP Sevens which are god like, but I often use my golds instead out of sheer convenience and the quality is nice. For like 75 bucks you can't go wrong.

Memnoch

The PlayStation Gold headset is nice. Easy as hell to use, official profiles, etc.

I have XP Sevens which are god like, but I often use my golds instead out of sheer convenience and the quality is nice. For like 75 bucks you can't go wrong.
Yeah but I'm on my third pair of gold headphones. Have taken them back twice to Walmart because the headband fractures in many places, and I am very careful with them.

Gbraga

Honestly, just get a Sony Gold.

Their build quality is terrible, and they will break sooner or later, I've had every Playstation headset they released until now, and not by choice, just because mine stopped working for one reason or another and I got the current one instead.

I tried to get away from that and get something else, but nothing is as practical as these Sony headsets, especially for console game. Just plug the USB thingie and you're good to go. No mixamps required, no cables, no weird setup shenanigans. Ended up returning them a couple of days later and getting a Gold.

The A50s look good too, but out of the price range.

The "non-geaming headphones" are definitely superior, especially for their price, but if you want to use it for consoles, and especially if you want to use them for more than one platform, I can't recommend the Playstation ones enough.

Only, again, have in mind that you'll probably have to get a new pair in the near future, or do some duct taping.

They also look really good, none of that weird gamer designs. Which is not something I personally care about too much, but a lot of people do.

I tried to get away from that and get something else, but nothing is as practical as these Sony headsets, especially for console game. Just plug the USB thingie and you're good to go. No mixamps required, no cables, no weird setup shenanigans. Ended up returning them a couple of days later and getting a Gold.

I have no idea why other manufacturers just won't do this. I want a good headset that isn't a fragile piece of shit, but I really enjoy the simple dongle of the Sony one.

Turtle Beach Elite 800 has the best alternative idea, because its transmitter also doubles as a charging stand, which means I'm never running out of battery as it's so convenient to just place them on the stand when not in use. But it still needs an optical out port.

brentech

The mixamp is the best part. Allows you to connect to both PS4 and PC simultaneously.
I don't know if the firmware changed since I bought mine, but for me and two friends that all got them around the same time last year the mixamp simply didn't work without swapping a cable. Audio would work, but the mic would not.

Still, most comfortable headset I've ever had.

Ogawa-san

I've had the TB800 for over a year now and I like it enough. No battery issues, still looks brand new, big fan of the charging station, bluetooth is handy, etc.

People seem to like the Steelseries 800 as well.

If you're set to go with wireless, I wouldn't spend less than $200. Like the $100 TB ones, a quick check on the Amazon reviews and you can see pictures of broken ones. That upcoming 520 just looks like a refreshed 500p.

dyergram

This. Works great plug and play and you can use in the pc as well.

XJF

I've been running with the A50s since February of 2014 when I got rid of my old Turtle Beach PX3's and I can't go back. I love the sound quality, comfort and individual volume controls for game audio and chat.

Kyoufu

I don't know if the firmware changed since I bought mine, but for me and two friends that all got them around the same time last year the mixamp simply didn't work without swapping a cable. Audio would work, but the mic would not.

Still, most comfortable headset I've ever had.

Optical audio into PS4 and USB into the PS4 (for the mic to work) and then 3.5mm connections into your PC.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Dont get sony gold its uncomfortable as hell. Turtle beach elite 800 has fantastic sound but its also hurting top of my head. Recently used friend s A50 its really really good sound quality and comfort wise, get that one or a high end tritton

KodaRuss

My white Sony golds just broke after about two years. The plastic hinge on one side has broken and they still work but I have to be extremely careful with them this wont last long.

I like them a lot but I have heard many others on here that they have broken theirs pretty quickly. I wouldnt highly recommend them but at $75 they are pretty damn good.

I am not sure what I am going to do when these are completely toast. Either another Gold set (2 years of pretty heavy use for 80-100 bucks is pretty good) or something else.

thenameDS

Gaming wise HyperX Cloud II or the new Revolver. But if you want something better than gaming quality, I'm using a Fiio A3 plugged into my controller with a AKG K702 plugged into the Fiio and it's absolutely amazing.

Gbraga

Yeah but I'm on my third pair of gold headphones. Have taken them back twice to Walmart because the headband fractures in many places, and I am very careful with them.

Yeah, the build quality is garbage, that can't be stated enough times.

Don't buy the PS ones. They are total shit.

They are, but they're also great. :C

I have no idea why other manufacturers just won't do this. I want a good headset that isn't a fragile piece of shit, but I really enjoy the simple dongle of the Sony one.

Turtle Beach Elite 800 has the best alternative idea, because its transmitter also doubles as a charging stand, which means I'm never running out of battery as it's so convenient to just place them on the stand when not in use. But it still needs an optical out port.

That sounds good too. But the optical connection can still make it a hassle to use in multiple platforms. Since I wanted a headset I could use on PC, PS4 and PS3, I really can't find a good alternative to the Sony products, which sucks.

Dont get sony gold its uncomfortable as hell. Turtle beach elite 800 has fantastic sound but its also hurting top of my head. Recently used friend s A50 its really really good sound quality and comfort wise, get that one or a high end tritton

Coming from the Pulse Elite, I'd use comfort as a plus for the Gold. The Elites are way too heavy.

Jamiaro

I might also have to get a new headset soon. I do not need a mic necessarily, so I suppose any good non-gaming headset will do?

Gusto

I had SONY Elites, Pulse, Gold and my favorite hands down A40's. I also have A50's but I still prefer the a40's.

People who are recommending the Sony Gold's are insane. The hinge design is straight up defective and will break. They also used cheap, brittle plastic that will break. I'm on my 3rd one right now and the left ear stopped working for no apparent reason.

One of the shittiest products I have bought in a while. I will never buy another headset from Sony. I babied all 3 sets like a Fabergé egg and all were broken in less than 2 months.

Ramune

Phillips X2 with V-MODA BoomPro mic.

Those headphones are what I have and from what I'm gathering from this thread, a Mix Amp will let me hear both PS4 AND PC at the same time? Because...that would be awesome! Playing something on PS4 while having my PC audio for chat and whatnot....

ViciousDS

Banned
Those headphones are what I have and from what I'm gathering from this thread, a Mix Amp will let me hear both PS4 AND PC at the same time? Because...that would be awesome! Playing something on PS4 while having my PC audio for chat and whatnot....

Yes, with the old PS4 this would work, with the slim no

you put USB to the PC for audio/chat and power there and then put optical into the back of the PS4 for game.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Go with the HyperX Cloud II. Uses 3.5mm connecter so you can plug it right into your controller

I bought the HyperX Cloud II and it's pretty nice, it maybe a scam since it's a gaming headset but honestly i don't care that much since it just works. You just plug it and that's it, a detachable mic that may wear out with use and no inline controls are the only cons i can think of right now.

wilsonda

Honestly, just get a Sony Gold.

Their build quality is terrible, and they will break sooner or later, I've had every Playstation headset they released until now, and not by choice, just because mine stopped working for one reason or another and I got the current one instead.

The A50s look good too, but out of the price range.

The "non-geaming headphones" are definitely superior, especially for their price, but if you want to use it for consoles, and especially if you want to use them for more than one platform, I can't recommend the Playstation ones enough.

Only, again, have in mind that you'll probably have to get a new pair in the near future, or do some duct taping.

They also look really good, none of that weird gamer designs. Which is not something I personally care about too much, but a lot of people do.

I would recommend the golds as well. I've had mine for over a year and it's still in one piece. It definitely has shitty build quality but I got mine for 50 bucks so it was well worth it.wireless is really the way to go.

Ramune

Yes, with the old PS4 this would work, with the slim no

you put USB to the PC for audio/chat and power there and then put optical into the back of the PS4 for game.

Yikes! Glad I got the PS4 when I did then! I'll look into this now, thanks! :D
Hope the USB wouldn't neglect the Titanium HD sound card.....

Edit: What's with this warning at the bottom of the Mix Amp Pro's description?
WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm

zoukka

I would recommend the golds as well. I've had mine for over a year and it's still in one piece. It definitely has shitty build quality but I got mine for 50 bucks so it was well worth it.wireless is really the way to go.

Wireless brings nothing to the table with PS4 because the headphones would be connected to the controller anyway.

Needlecrash

Hello GAF,

- Under or around $200

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Stealth-Wireless-playstation-4/dp/B01JS3F79I/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

- Turtle Beach PX4
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Wireless-Surround-Talkback-PlayStation-4/dp/B00NHV0XV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472299646&sr=1-1&keywords=Turtle+Beach+Ear+Force+PX4

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCXWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472297891&sr=1-2&keywords=hyperx+cloud+2

- Turtle Beach 800 (willing to go a bit over my price range if they are really that worth it)
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Cancellation-playstation-4-3/dp/B00MNPDMEQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472297851&sr=1-2&keywords=800x

Personally, get yourself a VModa Crossfade LP2 with the mic. You're welcome.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yikes! Glad I got the PS4 when I did then! I'll look into this now, thanks! :D
Hope the USB wouldn't neglect the Titanium HD sound card.....

Edit: What's with this warning at the bottom of the Mix Amp Pro's description?
WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm

I'm pretty sure that cancer warning is due to the fumes from new packaging.....yes....just like the original hyper cloud 2's you can get a migraine from the manufacturing smell of a new product lol

ViciousDS

Banned
Hello GAF,

- Under or around $200

- Turtle Beach PX4

no sennheisers for your options?

Both G4ME ONES and G4ME ZEROS are under $200

Top Bottom