• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Red Dead Redemption on PC?

I think about this every once in a while in hopes that one day the news will hit out of nowhere and we will finally have this gam on PC. It's such a highly praised game and I don't think there's any doubt it would sell like crazy on steam.

Do you think it will happen once the new Read Dead IP is released? ;__;

The code was messy I've heard. Also, Rockstar don't seem too keen on PC gaming. GTA V was released over a year and a half later on PC.

I had also heard the code was messy, basically cobbled together until they had something that worked. Which makes sense; it was a sequel to a relatively minor game, and no one was expecting it to be as successful as it was. Hopefully the sequel will have a bigger budget so some time can be spent porting it to PC. GTA V's PC port ended up excellent. If Red Dead 3 gets the same treatment, I'll die happy.

Forkball

The code was messy I've heard. Also, Rockstar don't seem too keen on PC gaming. GTA V was released over a year and a half later on PC.
This was so they could sucker people into triple dipping. GTAV did amazingly well on PC.

Like others have said, the code for the game, for whatever reason, makes it difficult to ship to PC.

A remaster however...

koutoru

There was always rumors that the code was a complete mess.

Hopefully if they do a remaster it'll get ported
Apparently the co founder of Rockstar was freaking out at the time because he didn't feel the game could be completed without Leslie Benzie's (former Rockstar North president) help.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-a-recurring-nightmare-during-d/1100-6438770/
"This [RDR] is a (recurring) nightmare," Sam Houser said. "But one i/we need to get out of. I have problems with the camera all over the place. So much so, that I can't be rational or specific about it. The darkness!!!"

"PLEASE help me/us get rdr [Read Dead Redemption] into shape. I am a jabbering wreck right now," he added. "I need The Benz!'"
The game must of been a nightmare just to push out to 360 and PS3.

TSM

I still think that either it was internal politics or that they just didn't think it was worthwhile to release on PC at the time. There's no way a fully functional game released on two different consoles couldn't have been ported to PC if they were willing to put in the money and work to port it.

Be grateful we have 2 series that got started on PC? lol fuck that shit Rockstar should be thanking us PC gamers for making them a household name

Tell me more about how GTA was a household name when it was GTA2 on PC, and how GTA3 on PS2 didn't send it into the stratosphere

Tell me more about how GTA was a household name when it was GTA2 on PC, and how GTA3 on PS2 didn't send it into the stratosphere

well here's the PC box with the name that you could put in your household

s-l640.jpg

yep story checks out to me

CazTGG

They never got the Benz they needed, only the darkness!

In all seriousness, Rockstar wasn't very interested in working on a PC version of the game. Couple that with a nightmarish development cycle and it's no wonder why they have yet to go back and remaster it for the new consoles, let alone one for PC.

They never got the Benz they needed, only the darkness!

In all seriousness, Rockstar wasn't very interested in working on a PC version of the game. Couple that with a nightmarish development cycle and it's no wonder why they have yet to go back and remaster it for the new consoles, let alone one for PC.

I have to imagine they are VERY interested now considering how much GTAV sold. But yeah as others said it sounds like the code is just too much garbage :(

Tagyhag

Not modern Rockstar, the GTAV port was ace.

They just release a lot later so 1. They could do good work on the port and 2. They make people triple dip.

RDR is never happening unless Rockstar really really wants to have the game on PC/current consoles and they'll probably pretty much have to start from scratch, I bet that'd be easier than fucking with the current code of the game.

WE NEED THE BENZ!

Pixieking

Banned

Yeah, using an article from 2011 isn't the best reasoning for why they haven't announced a remaster/port in 2016.

All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do

1) Technically - PC's are now easily powerful enough to run a port of a 360 game (so long as the code-base is tidy).
2) Business-wise - GTA V has just under 5m owners on Steam, and that doesn't take into account the non-Steam-activatable codes sold by third-parties.
3) Developmentally - Well, the rumours were always that it was hell to code. I'm betting this is the reason why.

dex3108

I still believe that RDR will come to PC. I hope for RDR Remastered on X1/PS4/PC because that game deserves it. Worst case scenario is that we will play RDR on PC via X360/PS3 emulator in a few years.

Yeah. Like everyone else said, the rumor was that it was not designed with a pc port in mind and it was really hard to go back to the spaghetti code.

The only hope now is through emulation, which is now no where near close.

jetsetrez

I just want to know why/how Bungie doesn't put Destiny on PC. Especially now without old consoles, seems like it's just leaving mountains of money on the table.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't trust those numbers. Clearly they were cooked.

Sarcasm?

If not - Steamspy polls owners of the game. No way to cook them.

To play devil's advocate, RDR was released 2010, and was in development for, what, 2 years before that? In 2008 the PC market was nothing like it is now.

Edit: Began dev in 2005, Wiki says. No-one in 2005 could've seen Steam exploding the way it did, save for maybe Gabe Newell himself.

I just want to know why/how Bungie doesn't put Destiny on PC. Especially now without old consoles, seems like it's just leaving mountains of money on the table.

Don't they have some deals going with Sony? I can tell you if I were Sony I'd try to restrict my partners from publishing on the PC platform. Not sure if that's what happened, but it's what I'd do.

Yes it was clearly sarcasm. Some people are just too easy.

First thing I did when buying a PS4 was selling the GTAV that came with it so I could buy abetter version on PC.

I didn't actually end up buying it after realizing the game would be boring to me.

novabolt

The first game came out in 2004 and that wasn't on PC as well, I'm guessing that Rockstar didn't have PC in mind with it came to RED DEAD. I'm sure that if Rockstar release a remaster collection of both games, PC(Windows) will be included.

u high son

He's right, you know? /lolz

I still believe that RDR will come to PC. I hope for RDR Remastered on X1/PS4/PC because that game deserves it. Worst case scenario is that we will play RDR on PC via X360/PS3 emulator in a few years.

I would rather do the smart thing and stream it via XB1.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
The benz and darkness are why op.
At this point Im just hoping rd3 gets an announcement of announcement soonand doesn't end up like hl3.

novabolt

The last COD just reached over 1 million after 8 months, maybe Activision isn't happy with the numbers?

dex3108

I would rather do the smart thing and stream it via XB1.

People who have X1 will play it on X1.

I think that right question is Why isn't RDR Remastered announced yet? Rockstar has time, money and manpower to pull it and it would earn them tons of money. Just look how people were excited when RDR became backwards compatible on X1.

Top Bottom