• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Wii cannot use Classic Controller for Cube games

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'd imagine because it needs to work through the GC controller inputs. Not really that big a deal.

Link said:
I'd imagine because it needs to work through the GC controller inputs. Not really that big a deal.
It's a big deal to me. I will not be plugging any Cube controllers into my Wii, because there should have never been a need to. I will keep my GCN hooked up.

woxel1 said:
And how is the classic controller supposed to let you play N64 games? I still don't "get it."

Much like DS with a GBA cart, the Wii will go into "GAMECUBE Mode" if a GC disk is inserted. It won't even be looking for the wireless signal.

Whereas the N64 emulation is a "Wii mode".

Pud

Banned
Link said:

The hardware goes into "Gamecube" mode when you startup a Gamecube game... i.e. the CPU/GPU basically put themselves at half multipliers and all the hardware input is routed to the Gamecube side panel. The reason why emulation is 100% perfect is because when you start a gamecube game, you're actually playing on a Gamecube. As such, the Gamecube doesn't know how to interface with the Wii's wireless bluetooth controller system or internal system memory either. Believe it or not, the Wii ISN'T JUST a Gamecube with waggle :p (edit: beaten by the admin!)

ant1532

Banned
woxel1 said:
And how is the classic controller supposed to let you play N64 games? I still don't "get it."
Since you download the N64 games through VC. Cube games use the cube ports, while the VC games use the Wiimote which the VC controller connects too.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I have my Wavebird, still super comfortable for all the Cube games I'm keeping. *shrug*

Zenith

Banned
wouldn't it have made more sense for the GC controller to act as the "classic" one? it has enough buttons and D-pad and t's not radically different in any way that would hinder play.

The classic controller is better designed, that's why.

God, I would be so steamed if Nintendo expected gamers to play NES games with the GCN's d-pad placement.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
unpleasing. I hoped it would be, given the shit state of the GC pad with many third-party games.

Pud said:
The hardware goes into "Gamecube" mode when you startup a Gamecube game... i.e. the CPU/GPU basically put themselves at half multipliers and all the hardware input is routed to the Gamecube side panel. The reason why emulation is 100% perfect is because when you start a gamecube game, you're actually playing on a Gamecube. As such, the Gamecube doesn't know how to interface with the Wii's wireless bluetooth controller system or internal system memory either. Believe it or not, the Wii ISN'T JUST a Gamecube with waggle :p (edit: beaten by the admin!)
I'm pretty sure they could have designed it in such a way that it would use the extra processing power to take the inputs from the classic controller and trick the hardware into believing they're from GCN. It's just stupid that I should need to use an old controller on a new system.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Well, not surprising, but I wish I had thought of it when I sold my Cube... Guess I'll be getting a GCN controller along with my Wii.

Pud

Banned
Zenith said:
wouldn't it have made more sense for the GC controller to act as the "classic" one? it has enough buttons and D-pad and t's not radically different in any way that would hinder play.

The d-pad is the focus on the classic controller (NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16) whereas the analog (N64) is not needed to be focused on as it has for the Gamecube.

Plus, there are inherent advantages, for us and Nintendo, to use/sell the classic controller.
1) Wireless (the remote hooks on the underside)
2) With the remote hooked on, the accelerometers can still be used (i.e. PS3 controller) AND it can still rumble thanks to the remote ;)
3) Is styled in the same manner as the Wi
4) It will be sold for the next 4-5 years... you think anyone (incl Nintendo) will care about the Gamecube 4 years from now to keep stocking and manufacturing Wavebirds?
5) It's a SNES pad with analog - as great as the Gamecube controller is, SNES = universal appeal.

warcrow

Banned
That is kinda weird, but I guess it makes sense. The two controllers are kinda different and they probably didnt want to get a team of people to convert and configure between the two. It would be a pretty big undertaking I guess.

Is this really that big of a deal though?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This reminds me; is the classic controller coming out at launch? I would assume so, but you never know...

SuperPac

I'm not surprised, but I don't care. I have a Wavebird and other GC controllers and will pull those out when I need to play a GameCube game (which probably won't be very often).

Thats really stupid. I never bought a cube, but figured I might catch a couple games I missed on the Wii. I don't really feel like buying a Wavebird just for "a couple" of games though.

Or can the Wavebird be used for VC games? Has this been confirmed?

Pud

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
I'm pretty sure they could have designed it in such a way that it would use the extra processing power to take the inputs from the classic controller and trick the hardware into believing they're from GCN. It's just stupid that I should need to use an old controller on a new system.

Why don't you be a system designer, then? :p
Seriously, it's 100% compatible BECAUSE it goes into Gamecube mode - it is, perfectly, a Gamecube. Design issues like the one you mentioned aren't that easy to overcome when you're looking for perfect emulation. Sure, the DS could use the ARM9 to assist those GBA titles that have framerate issues, but then it would bring its own set of compatibility problems. It just doesn't work the way you said it does. The only way what you said could happen properly, was if they were using software emulation (a la 360 - and look how that turned out).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
AndoCalrissian said:

So having both systems hooked up is somehow better than only having one with two separate controllers? Are you just keeping your GCN up out of spite because becaue you don't wanna dirty your Wii with a GCN controller? Isn't that a little strange?

Matt

AndoCalrissian said:
And I’m fairly certain that doing that would have somehow ended up screwing up some GameCube game somewhere along the way. Besides the fact that the Classic Controller lacks some of the functionality (i.e., shoulder button click) that the GameCube controller has.

Pud

Banned
PlayStation Tree said:
Thats really stupid. I never bought a cube, but figured I might catch a couple games I missed on the Wii. I don't really feel like buying a Wavebird just for "a couple" of games though.

*sigh*
Games made for the Wii are ALLOWED to use the Gamecube controller if they'd like, because the Wii can interface with both hardware inputs. For instance, Metal Slug has the option of using the Gamecube controller. NEW VC games are also allowed to use the Gamecube controller. The old ones? I don't have an answer for you, but I highly doubt it. The classic controller, with its D-PAD focus, is MUCH better to use for old VC games anyway.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not that big of a deal to me, as I already have two GC controllers.

Btw, I LOVE the classic controller look, but really wished they had included L1/L2 and R1/R2 that Sony made standard. Why just the one Z? :(

Oh well. I'm not buying this to play old GC games.

Rexaur

Well, maybe since the GameCube cycle is coming to a close, Nintendo will soon announce a new Wii branded GCN controller.

Coming in 2007, the GC Wiibird to play all your GameCube classics.

MrPonx

wii-classic-controller.JPG

slots.jpg

Controller_large.gif

I think the analog and the d-pad positioning is the problem

EDIT: the shoulder analog buttons are another issue

Varjet

PlayStation Tree said:

Can you specify which controllers it will be possible to use for each of the VC games types (NES, SNES, PC Engine, N64)?

Nintendo: All virtual console games can be played using the Classic Controller or Nintendo GameCube pads. The Wii Remote can also be turned on its side and used as a traditional controller to play NES games. However, a game will only be playable with the control mechanism it was designed for. So, for example, you will play NES games with the D-pad, not an analogue stick or motion-sensitive functionality.

Good for me, no need to buy a CC

Jim

Pud said:
Why don't you be a system designer, then? :p
Seriously, it's 100% compatible BECAUSE it goes into Gamecube mode - it is, perfectly, a Gamecube. Design issues like the one you mentioned aren't that easy to overcome when you're looking for perfect emulation. Sure, the DS could use the ARM9 to assist those GBA titles that have framerate issues, but then it would bring its own set of compatibility problems. It just doesn't work the way you said it does. The only way what you said could happen properly, was if they were using software emulation (a la 360 - and look how that turned out).

At this point, the PS3's PS2 BC is supposedly done via an included PS2 chipset (which is why there are no graphical enhancements). But somehow, they were able to "wrap" it up in such a way as to allow Bluetooth/wireless with the Sixaxis. I imagine they COULD have done something similar with the Wii.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
So having both systems hooked up is somehow better than only having one with two separate controllers? Are you just keeping your GCN up out of spite because becaue you don't wanna dirty your Wii with a GCN controller? Isn't that a little strange?
What does it matter to you? I'm doing it out of spite. It's a stupid, short-sighted decision.

Matt

PantherLotus said:
Not that big of a deal to me, as I already have two GC controllers.

Btw, I LOVE the classic controller look, but really wished they had included L1/L2 and R1/R2 that Sony made standard. Why just the one Z? :(

Oh well. I'm not buying this to play old GC games.
There are two Z buttons on the Classic Controller.

LakeEarth

Wait, the classic controller shoulders are analog? They sure look like them, but only the GC used that....so wtf?!?

Chemo

Matt said:
There are two Z buttons on the Classic Controller.
No there aren't. There *were* two Z buttons on the classic controller. Until Nintendo decided to remove the one that made sense and leave the one that ONLY makes sense for GC gaming, which it can't even do.

Mother ****ing train wreck.

Top Bottom