• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: How Nintendo stole the show from Apple

Tripon

Move over Apple (AAPL). The breakthrough winner from the iPhone maker's big reveal Wednesday was video-game maker Nintendo (NTDOY).

Shares of Nintendo's U.S. listed shares jumped 29% to $36.32 apiece Wednesday after the gaming pioneer said during the Apple conference it would bring several titles to Apple's various mobile platforms. Nintendo plans to release a version of its co-owned Pokemon Go augmented reality game to the Apple Watch and an "endless runner" style game using Mario Bros. characters to the iPhone called "Super Mario Run." Contrast Nintendo stock's big jump with the barely noticeable 68 cent, or 0.6%, rise in Apple's own shares to $108.38 after the meeting.

"People see this announcement as a signal that Nintendo is all in with mobile," says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

The massive rise in Nintendo's shares stands out especially given Apple's own stock is stagnant, even after its announcement. Shares of Apple are up roughly 2% this year, while the Standard & Poor's 500 has risen nearly 9%. Apple's stock did get a better first-day reception than in recent history, the best since the 1.4% gain in 2012 when the iPhone 5 was announced. That was an improvement from the no change on the day the downsized iPhone SE was announced earlier this year, and the 2% decline in 2015 with the announcement of the iPhone 6S in 2015. But today's Apple stock reaction pales compared to the 8.3% one-day pop when the original iPhone was announced nearly a decade ago.

It's not like investors were expecting much from Apple. Shares fell 0.6% in the 30 days prior to the iPhone 7 announcement, well below the 3.8% average gain in the month ahead of previous iPhone announcements. Most analysts were braced for a ho-hum conference with more incremental changes to the watch and phone.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2016/09/07/real-winner-apples-talk-isnt-apple/89966928/

A Mario iOS game was inevitable. They're not any more "all in with mobile" than they were already, and they've made clear that they still see dedicated gaming platforms as their primary business for now.

I get why investors want them to focus more on mobile, but I don't entirely get the logic behind this particular bump.

A Mario iOS game was inevitable. They're not any more "all in with mobile" than they were already, and they've made clear that they still see dedicated gaming platforms as their primary business for now.

I get why investors want them to focus more on mobile, but I don't entirely get the logic behind this particular bump.

Because investors are dumb and only look for the short-term.

M-PG71C

Because retail investors are largely stupid and they do not have a damn clue on what they are doing. They are buying strictly on speculation. :p

Someday we might look back on this as the beginning of the end. At least they can never take mario kart 64, melee or wind waker away from us

Someday we might look back on this as the beginning of the end. At least they can never take mario kart 64, melee or wind waker away from us

Is this type of nonsense going to be regurgitated every time Nintendo announces a new mobile title?

Beyond the obvious investors are short sighted talk, they put Miyamoto on stage. The face of their company. Before today there was probably still some doubt on how serious they would take mobile. But they have Miyamoto of all people heavily promoting it. That sends a message. Not only is no IP off the table, no developer is off the table. They're willing to put their top talent on mobile. They're not just going to half-ass it to try and please investors while coasting on IP recognition.

Iwata is the one who announced Nintendo's mobile plans initially. It's been known for a year and a half how serious Nintendo was taking this initiative. They didn't purchase an 11% stake in DeNA for kicks.

Don't get me wrong though, seeing Miyamoto on stage at that event was pretty crazy.

Sterok

Beyond the obvious investors are short sighted talk, they put Miyamoto on stage. The face of their company. Before today there was probably still some doubt on how serious they would take mobile. But they have Miyamoto of all people heavily promoting it. That sends a message. Not only is no IP off the table, no developer is off the table. They're willing to put their top talent on mobile. They're not just going to half-ass it to try and please investors while coasting on IP recognition.

Madame M

Banned
USA Today is dumb. The reason those things happened is because Nintendo stock was so low from Nintendo's failures it had nowhere to go but up and Apple was so overvalued it had nowhere to go but down.

smurfx

get some go again
yeb1kVr.gif

Oersted

How often do you think do traders visit Neogaf?

CrxGwk6VYAAZXMF.jpg:large

Then what are the in app purchases?

iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Run for free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price.

First, they didn't upstage Apple. Though Miyamoto calling Tim Cook "Steve" was a little awkward. It was clearly a surprise, and a will kept one at that.

Today may be viewed someday as the first real day when Apple considered buying Nintendo.

shira

Stock is up. They stole the thunder from Apple and Sony while probably still getting in bed with Google

I still can't believe Miyamoto said "Thanks Steve"

ggx2ac

Nintendo already had their Golden Age with the Wii/DS. This next period will either be their Silver Age or their Platinum Age. (I made that up.)

Mr-Joker

Banned

Because Investors are dumb greedy fucks who are after to make a quick buck regardless if it benefits the company or not.

This is why Iwata held off having Nintendo enter the mobile market till he could be sure that Nintendo could get long term profit from it.

It's also why he shot down the idea Nintendo going third party as the profit would only be short term as we have seen happened with both Atari and Sega.

Tobor

Miyamoto on stage at an Apple event is more "all in with mobile" than I ever thought I'd see.

M3d10n

CrxGwk6VYAAZXMF.jpg:large

Then what are the in app purchases?

The game itself. It's "free to start", where you can download the game for free but can only play a few levels before having to pay.

Keep in mind that this is the worse performing kind of mobile monetization scheme there is. Historically, the conversion rates are terribly low and it has fallen out of flavor years ago. Let's see how Nintendo fares with it.

Sulik2

Every time Nintendo's stock explodes for a new mobile product is one more nail in the coffin of Nintendo making hardware after the NX. If they ever do a properly monetized free to play game they will make clash of clans, clash royale amounts of money.

"Stole the show"? Apple invited Nintendo to appear at their event. Apple is the one with the limited? exclusive Mario title. What a shitty article. Just trying to drum up some typical doom & gloom Apple drama to get clicks. This announcement is a win-win for both Nintendo and Apple.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Every time Nintendo's stock explodes for a new mobile product is one more nail in the coffin of Nintendo making hardware after the NX. If they ever do a properly monetized free to play game they will make clash of clans, clash royale amounts of money.

So more money for them will mean they make less hardware?

OK.

Top Bottom