• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton: Trump supporters in "the basket of deplorables" ie - racist, homophobic, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-basket-of-deplorables/

Hillary Clinton told an audience of donors Friday night that half of Donald Trump's supporters fall into "the basket of deplorables," meaning people who are racist, sexist, homophobic or xenophobic.

In an effort to explain the support behind Trump, Clinton went on to describe the rest of Trump supporters as people who are looking for change in any form because of economic anxiety and urged her supporters to empathize with them.
"To just be grossly generalistic, you can put half of Trump supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables," Clinton said. "Right? Racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, you name it."

She added, "And unfortunately, there are people like that and he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people, now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets offensive, hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric."
Clinton went on to say that some of these people were "irredeemable" and "not America."

While I want to be glib and say "only half?" not sure if this was a smart thing to say. The press is going to try to make this into a Romney 47% or Obama "bitter clingers" moment.

Clinton went on to say that some of these people were "irredeemable" and "not America."

This is a problematic attitude that simultaneously fails to recognize reality (yes they are part of America too) and denies a fundamental belief in redemption and the ability of people to change for the better. Categorizing people as irredeemable, or reducing them to their worst elements, is itself a cancer.

She's been a little looser tongued lately. First that ISIS Allah comment and now this.

Hopefully she doesn't get too comfortable with the pejoratives. She's above that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Agree that it's not the smartest comment, even if it is largely true. "Attacking" supporters is not a winning strategy.

This is a problematic attitude that simultaneously fails to address reality (yes they are America) and denies fundamental belief in redemption and the power to change for the better.

For the latter part, maybe some of the 21 year olds retweeting Milo because they love boobs in video games can be saved, but the 53 year old dude from Missouri who thinks Obama is a Muslim and Clinton murdered Vince Foster? Nah. He's gone.

Not

Banned
While I want to be glib and say "only half?" not sure if this was a smart thing to say. The press is going to try to make this into a Romney 47% or Obama "bitter clingers" moment.

The press is going to try and equate misogynists, racial supremacists and troglodytes with poor, marginalized, and nationally disparaged people?

HariKari

Agree that it's not the smartest comment, even if it is largely true. "Attacking" supporters is not a winning strategy.

I can see the Fox News headline now "Clinton: Support Trump? You're Racist"

Even if Trump is #1 with racists, saying this does nothing but whip up the opposition.

This is a problematic attitude that simultaneously fails to address reality (yes they are part of America too) and denies a fundamental belief in redemption and the ability of people to change for the better.
I hate it when people use the word problematic. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Whompa02

She's 150% right.

"Attacking" supporters is not a winning strategy.

these people are unsalvageable, closet, or blatant racist/misogynists that live on hate. Nobody will ever win them over. They will honestly need to age out and die before they change an opinion.

anaron

Good.

Saying otherwise has led to this idiotic "that's just their opinion!!" as if it's isolated from real world harm and we're still supposed to respect that? Fuck that.

If half are bigots then the other half must just be ignorant. Yet to find a Trump supporter I would classify as a good and intelligent person.

sphagnum

Banned
The press is going to try and equate misogynists, racial supremacists and troglodytes with poor, marginalized, and nationally disparaged people?

Eh, I could see it. The thing is, Romney's comment hurt him because it helped cement the idea that he hated poor people. He came off as callous, and it was done in secret. The public didnt like that. This doesn't really insult anyone except people who already hate Hillary anyway, a bunch of which are proud to call themselves racist in the first place.

pigeon

Banned
This is a problematic attitude that simultaneously fails to recognize reality (yes they are part of America too) and denies a fundamental belief in redemption and the ability of people to change for the better. Categorizing people as irredeemable, or reducing them to their worst elements, is itself a cancer.

Fuck this shit. If racists want to be redeemed they should stop being racist. Otherwise get the fuck out of my country.

Glad to have a presidential candidate who tells it like it is.

Boke1879

It's true and people need to stop acting like it shouldn't be said.

Time to put a target on people who openly support Trump after all the bigoted, sexist and racist shit he's said and done. Hell just look at his campaign.

I feel like it's a message to some of his supporters. You have the right intentions, but you're associating with the wrong people.

I can certainly see it giving some people who were already thinking that their fellow supporters are racists the push needed to not support Trump anymore. Still don't think that it is the kind of attack we need to be using despite how true it may be.

Fuck this shit. If racists want to be redeemed they should stop being racist. Otherwise get the fuck out of my country.

Glad to have a presidential candidate who tells it like it is.
If you want to help someone to change, you have to love them first, despite their flaws. Hate only begets hate.

I hate to be off topic but I found this funny.

70enHGn.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
these people are unsalvageable, closet, or blatant racist/misogynists that live on hate. Nobody will ever win them over. They will honestly need to age out and die before they change an opinion.

That's kind of the point. All this is going to do is rile them up and make them push back more. There's no benefit to making this sort of statement, and in the worst case it could hurt her.

Kenai

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. What she said is absolutely true: some of these people are never going to change. It's unfortunate, but it's also reality, and looking away tends to make these kinds of things worse.

That's kind of the point. All this is going to do is rile them up and make them push back more. There's no benefit to making this sort of statement, and in the worst case it could hurt her.

Leaving them alone clearly doesn't help, either. I'm quite happy when she makes her stances on behavior like this abundantly clear, and frankly I wouldn't mind more people in power doing the same. I don't want them physically harmed, but I'm not against shaming for this type of behavior. Not even a little bit. It needs to be hammered home that it is unacceptable.

You are under the mistaken impression that these people aren't and haven't been pushing back for the better part of 5 decades.

Push back? What the fuck are they going to do?

Debirudog

They already hate Hillary no matter what she does. Time to give no fucks.

I feel like it's a message to some of his supporters. You have the right intentions, but you're associating with the wrong people.

That's exactly what she's saying, but it is easily eschewed, and it will be, especially by the right-wing media. But I don't think it'll matter, at the end of the day. All it'll do is energize the base who's so energized already.

The benefit is recognizing that there is a large part of this country that are just as she described them

pigeon

Banned

Oh yeah, because there were a bunch of racists and sexists just sitting on their hands not planning to turn out to vote against the black president's female successor.

Contrariwise, it's important for people who oppose racism and sexism to understand the stakes behind this election.

KHarvey16

Uh, that half she's talking about is not who this message is for. Chasing them and attempting to win them over would be absolutely futile. The idea here is to shame the "I just want an outsider!" types and others who are merely ignorant. Riling up racists and homophobes is not going to be bad for her.

Slayven

Fuck this shit, time to stop coddling willful ignorance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom