• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer fired for not shooting man who had unloaded gun. US

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/1...or-not-shooting-man-who-had-unloaded-gun.html

Then-Weirton police officer Stephen Mader was let go after a May 6 incident in which he said he tried to talk Ronald D. “R.J.” Williams Jr. out of harming himself.

“I thought I was going to be able to talk to him and deescalate it,” Mader, an ex-Marine, told The Post-Gazette. “I knew it was suicide-by-cop.”

“I told him, ‘Put down the gun,’ and he’s like, ‘Just shoot me.’ And I told him, ‘I’m not going to shoot you brother,’” Mader said.

Eventually, two other officers arrived and one of them shot and killed Williams Jr., hitting him in the back of the head, just behind his right ear, The Post-Gazette reported.

The shooting was deemed justified, but Mader was terminated because he “failed to eliminate a threat,”
according to his June 6 termination letter. Mader is now working toward getting a commercial license to drive trucks.

4 tour Iraq/Afghanistan veteran too.

So how does one stop suicide by police? Or do we as a society just accept that police can be called to execute you on demand? Legalize suicide for people?

You just call them up. Aim an uploaded gun, and get your wish.

I find it interesting we have such an extensive ethical discussion about physician-assisted suicide in this country, yet police-assisted suicide is easily attainable without much of a public or political concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom