• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Review Thread

Sterok

Metacritic

Opencritic

High-Def Digest - 5/5

One of the best games on the 3DS has been bested with 'Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse ', and the result is an exciting, smart, and amazingly complex RPG. I can't think of a game I've enjoyed this much in 2016, and I'm already looking forward to diving back into this again in the near future. While it's worth playing its predecessor before diving into this, Atlus has done a good job of ensuring that the game stands on its own perfectly, making it accessible even to series newcomers. For those who like JRPGs in the slightest, 'SMTIVA' is absolutely worth playing.

God is a Geek - 9.5/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is a mandatory experience for any RPG fan on the 3DS and a sequel worthy of being a numbered entry in this franchise. If you’ve been craving a deep and memorable turn-based RPG on the 3DS, look no further.

Twinfinite - 9/10

Apocalypse is a game that can easily stand on its own, even if you haven’t played the original Shin Megami Tensei IV. Of course, having played the original will give you more context and understanding of the world and its different characters and factions. However, Apocalypse’s brand new story, engaging characters, and deep gameplay systems are more than enough to warrant a playthrough for fans both new and old. If you’re looking for a lengthy, satisfying handheld RPG to play, Apocalypse is a great candidate.

RPGSite - 9/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse improves upon Shin Megami Tensei IV’s systems by redesigning mechanisms that transform previous problems into core strengths. Though it’s core framework and interface systems are pretty much straight out of SMT IV under a new coat of paint, its new cast and story kept things captivating. I adored its successive efforts to make each member of the group someone I ultimately cared about.
Gamespot - 9/10

Everything about Apocalypse looks, feels, and sounds great; the excellent soundtrack works to enhance the feelings of exploration in a darkened, destroyed world. Your demonic servants roar, cry, and yell in the heat of battle, making combat feel more lively and risky than ever before. All of the gameplay additions improve elements where the original Shin Megami Tensei IV was lacking. Meanwhile, the story’s eagerness to get into the heat of the new conflict makes it quick and easy for you to become caught up in this bewildering, dangerous world where humans, gods, and demons coexist. Apocalypse is a fantastic RPG that goes above and beyond the original Shin Megami Tensei IV to become one of the shining gems of the 3DS library.

GamingBolt - 9/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is a triumph of an RPG- in every way possible, it builds upon its already great predecessor, and improves it even further. There’s not much to complain about here, though I expect that the game’s brutal difficulty and 2D battles may end up turning some people off. In the end, though, these are minor blemishes on an otherwise excellent game. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is an incredible game, and in just about every way, the definitive Shin Megami Tensei experience.

GBAtemp - 9/10

Boasting top-notch writing, visuals, and gameplay, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is one of the 3DS' finest titles and an experience well worth your time.

CGMagazine - 8.5/10

Regardless, I loved every second of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, because I loved the game that came before it. From the combat to the visuals, Atlus nails it every time they bring this series back to the 3DS. With a new story that takes place during a familiar time period, old fans will surely want to play. On the same token, accessibility and commitment to keeping the story focused on these new characters make it very easy for new players to jump in. This a must have title for your 3DS collection if you’re in the market for a new RPG.

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5/10

Apocalypse is a solid, well-made RPG through and through and is assuredly better than Shin Megami Tensei IV. The map, which was often too vague before, is very easy to navigate now. And since the game starts you off in Tokyo from the outset, the beginning moves much quicker. Tons of small user interface and usability changes make for a better experience across the board, but it doesn’t stop the whole game from still feeling like the third Pokémon game in a generation. Then again, sometimes that third game is the best of all of them, and that’s certainly the case here. Despite some feelings of deja vu while traversing this end-of-days version of Tokyo, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is an excellent game and a fantastic addition to the 3DS library. The year of the RPG is still red hot.
Destructoid - 8.5/10

Atlus has been going strong for over 30 years and it has no sign of stopping. This would have been a cash-in almost anywhere else, but here, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse was shown the level of love and care most would give aggressively marketed new IPs. It's still no Nocturne, but it'll do.

TechRaptor - 8.5/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is one of the absolute best JRPGS for the Nintendo 3DS this year. It improves upon SMT4's systems in definitive ways while addressing many of the nagging issues that served to hold its predecessor back.

Cubed3 - 7/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is sort of a weird game in that it is both undeniably great and a little bit disappointing at the same time. It is a poor spot to jump into for newbies and yet returning veterans might be a disappointed by how much the game repeats itself. While it might not be the best Shin Megami Tensei title out there, it is still very enjoyable from start to finish. Boasting an interesting (if a bit convoluted) story, and addictive combat system, and more demons than you can shake an evil stick at, there is plenty to sink your teeth into here. There is just a great balance of depth and accessibility here, and hunting and fusing demons is great, addictive fun. It might not be doing much to reinvent the Shin Megami Tensei formula, but then again, it didn't really need to.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder if it's worth finishing the first game to enjoy this one.

KLoWn

Where's my fuckin EU release date!!!
Argh.png

Neoweee

I didn't finish the first one but I'm jumping into this one. Watched what happened though in the endings and general plot things.

The first game doesn't tell you shit of consequence unless you hit the extremely narrow Neutral path, and the gameplay is diminishing-marginal-returns, so you probably did the right thing.

AsakuraZ

Been waiting to see the reviews, though I know no matter I'll be picking it up.

I throughly enjoyed SMTIV and hope the difficulty is curved upwards instead of downwards this time around. It didn't detract from me enjoying the game, just found it to be peculiar how they front loaded at lot of the boss fights and then the majority of fights afterwards weren't that tough.

Also just ready to jump back in this depiction of Tokyo. The atmosphere for IV was amazing and as much as I would liked a new entry into SMT, I will take going back into the world of IV.

Capra

Loved SMTIV (my introduction to this wonderful series) and from the looks of it they addressed nearly every problem the first game had. Can't wait to get my hands on Apocalypse.

Great reviews so far. I really need to go back to IV proper.

On another note anyone know if alignment is handled differently in Apocalypse? Didn't like not knowing what path I was on in IV compared to Strange Journey.

Neoweee

What was the issue with the map? I don't remember having an issue with it, then again I have a super high tolerance to the ridiculous.

I don't know what they fixed, but it was a tedious mess to navigate by the end of the game, and flying was hidden behind a series of non-descript sidequests.

AsakuraZ

What was the issue with the map? I don't remember having an issue with it, then again I have a super high tolerance to the ridiculous.

I think people had an issue if they weren't familiar with the layout of Tokyo. I know I had some trouble midway in the story trying to navigate myself around because directions were very vague about where to go. I didn't mind it, since I enjoy exploring, but I can understand why some other folks might not like it.

aravuus

The first game doesn't tell you shit of consequence unless you hit the extremely narrow Neutral path, and the gameplay is diminishing-marginal-returns, so you probably did the right thing.

Huh. Might do the same, then. This seems to be getting pretty great reviews, after all.

CSX

Sounds to be even better than SMTIV

And I loved SMTIV!!!!

But I gotta finish the last dungeon in Cold Steel 2 first :p

I was going to pick this up anyway since I loved SMT4 (it's easily in my top 3 3DS games), but I'm glad to hear that SMT4A is reviewing well anyway. Can't wait to play it.

As long as it's better than the underwhelming SMT 4, I'm game.

It probably depends on what you didn't like about SMT IV. From reading Japanese impressions, it sounds like Apocalypse has made several mechanical improvements to things such as the map and balance. But if the main thing you disliked about IV was related to the story/characters, you'll probably like Apocalypse even less.

Mediking

Atlusprime sent me here even though I'm buying this game regardless. I wish there was a New 3DS XL Edition.

Sagely

Glad to see it's being well received and improves on the weaker aspects of SMTIV :) I have no doubts that this is a top quality game.

I'll buy it on release but might wait a bit as I only finished SMTIV this year after 90+ hours - going on what I've seen, this game is very similar in appearance and I'll need more time away before it feels fresh again. And will probably spend another 90 hours in it >.>

marmoka

Banned
Awesome scores!! OMG!!

Where's my fuckin EU release date!!!
Argh.png

I'm importing it from USA, just in case it never arrives here. According to Amazon, it should arrive by early October. I will play it using the region unlocker of the 3DS homebrew channel. I'm not ready to wait another year and a half.

Nachos

Scored an early copy through a friend. It really feels like an expansion pack, considering all of the reused assets (and not just the demons), which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fusion interface is still horrific as far as letting you see what skills a demon has at a glance. It's also hard, even on the normal difficulty, but I can't say if that'll peter out later.

Dub is also really solid. Erica Lindbeck does a really, really good job as Asahi, and I'm hoping that Odin will have some good camp, since he's voiced by DC Douglas.

It seems to fix everything that made SMT4 disappointing. I'm really looking forward to playing it. Shame they couldn't fix a European release date. DQVII it is.

It probably depends on what you didn't like about SMT IV. From reading Japanese impressions, it sounds like Apocalypse has made several mechanical improvements to things such as the map and balance. But if the main thing you disliked about IV was related to the story/characters, you'll probably like Apocalypse even less.

Damn....the story/characters didn't do it for me at all. None of the people were interesting to me at all.

Lynx_7

Between this and DQ VII I already have my JRPG schedule full until FF XV drops.

Just a question regarding fusions: can you select and fuse any demons freely like in previous SMT games or are you limited to the combinations the game offers you like in SMT IV?

Pappasman

This + the impressions in the import thread got me hyped. SMT4 is my favorite game in the 3DS and one of my favorite RPGs of the gen. Hearing that SMT4A improves on a lot is great. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Philthy

What did people dislike about IV? I thought it was pretty dang close to Nocturne for a handheld game. It was a lot easier, but I'm at the age that I simply can't invest the time of high difficulty crawlers anymore...

I wish they'd make another for PS4 / One though.

Top Bottom