• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Review Thread

CazTGG

My review's going to be a little late, so i'll just say this: Apocalypse is a deceptively intelligent criticism of a lot of Megami Tensei series tendencies that, coupled with some great tweaks to the gameplay and intricate dungeon design, make it a marked improvement over its predecessor, a high mark for the series and a contender for not only the best JRPG on the 3DS, but the best game released all year.

Nachos

If i finished the original SMTIV....

Does the save game give anything on Apocalypse?

You get bonuses based on what and how many endings you got. I only had the neutral ending, so I got some app points, some stuff to sell for easy money, and a custom Streetpass title. I think there might've been some other stuff, too, but I don't think I'm far enough to redeem those yet.

It also has the weirdest transfer process I've ever seen on the 3DS if you're going physical. Since IV didn't save any extra data, you need to physically eject the Apocalypse cartridge at a menu, insert the IV cartridge, let that read, and then pop the Apocalypse cart back in.

BlueSteel

My review's going to be a little late, so i'll just say this: Apocalypse is a deceptively intelligent criticism of a lot of Megami Tensei series tendencies that, coupled with some great tweaks to the gameplay and intricate dungeon design, make it a marked improvement over its predecessor, a high mark for the series and a contender for not only the best JRPG on the 3DS, but the best game released all year.

You got me mad hyped man.

aravuus

Where's my fuckin EU release date!!!
Argh.png

Oh fuck me, I thought we were getting it in September too lmao

If they pull the same shit they did with the original with Apocalypse, I'll sooner be playing the game on the emulator that's in development atm than my own 3DS lol. Least I've got time to read/watch a let's play of SMT IV I guess.

Pejo

Gold Member
Can someone help me out? I'm at work and can't look it up myself. Is this more of an "ultimate mix" of SMT IV, the one with the ponytail'ed dude in the blue coat? Or is it a brand new game that just keeps the IV for whatever reason. From the previews I've seen, it's more of the latter, but why didn't they just call it SMT V?

Mupod

Debating whether to keep my preorder. I still haven't finished 4 as I got sidetracked shortly after getting on the Neutral path - I'd also reached a point where the game was too easy and I lost interest.

I simply wouldn't get around to playing this for a while due to other games. But I get 30% off on the preorder. Hmm.

Also I need to know how much xylophone is in the boss themes. Very important.

I wonder if this game still over-relies on elemental weakness=extra turn mechanics. That is my least favorite thing about P/SMT style games. It's fun to do knockdowns for awhile but it grows grating after awhile, especially on difficulties that require you play with proper strategy.

Can someone help me out? I'm at work and can't look it up myself. Is this more of an "ultimate mix" of SMT IV, the one with the ponytail'ed dude in the blue coat? Or is it a brand new game that just keeps the IV for whatever reason. From the previews I've seen, it's more of the latter, but why didn't they just call it SMT V?

It's a direct sequel to IV and it isn't called SMTV because it is just more SMTIV. It reuses a lot of SMTIV and has general improvements on the original. Plus SMTIV-II would be a crappy title.

Aeana

Between this and DQ VII I already have my JRPG schedule full until FF XV drops.

Just a question regarding fusions: can you select and fuse any demons freely like in previous SMT games or are you limited to the combinations the game offers you like in SMT IV?

You can use the search, or you can pick manually.

What did people dislike about IV? I thought it was pretty dang close to Nocturne for a handheld game. It was a lot easier, but I'm at the age that I simply can't invest the time of high difficulty crawlers anymore...

I wish they'd make another for PS4 / One though.

Not gonna dig my review out of the OT, but my broad-stroke problems with 4 were (1) that flaws in the stats, combat, and fusion systems combined to make for unnecessary frustration in the early game and a complete breakdown in the late game; (2) the dungeons were pretty plain for a game built around dungeon-crawling; and (3) the story started weak, barely built up momentum in the middle, and ended badly.

Bear in mind, I like SMT4, and I think some of its flaws were present in Nocturne as well. So I don't criticize it out of any hatred for the game or desire for it to be a different SMT. I just think some things didn't work.

Neoweee

(1) that flaws in the stats, combat, and fusion systems combined to make for unnecessary frustration in the early game and a complete breakdown in the late game;

Yeah, SMT4 had some of the worst stat balancing I've seen in an RPG.

Damage = A*Str + B

Where B is a giant chunk of the base HP, so basic attacks were hugely devastating in the early game with little regard for what the demon's stats were.

Also, Hard being NG+ was complete crap, and very poorly balanced (Compendium carry-over ruins SMT NG+)

Not gonna dig my review out of the OT, but my broad-stroke problems with 4 were (1) that flaws in the stats, combat, and fusion systems combined to make for unnecessary frustration in the early game and a complete breakdown in the late game; (2) the dungeons were pretty plain for a game built around dungeon-crawling; and (3) the story started weak, barely built up momentum in the middle, and ended badly.

Bear in mind, I like SMT4, and I think some of its flaws were present in Nocturne as well. So I don't criticize it out of any hatred for the game or desire for it to be a different SMT. I just think some things didn't work.

The bolded for me.

CazTGG

It's...complicated. It is a new game and not a "SMT IV: GOTY Edition" but it's not quite a sequel: It takes place during the events of the Neutral path of the original SMT IV but the story takes its own path(s). It's best to think of it as a "what if" scenario, this case being "what if an old god/deity-like figure decided to make a human a demigo-d'I mean what if they granted them the power to change the world?" Why they didn't call it Shin Megami Tensei V is anyone's guess given how SMT I -> SMT II is fairly direct in terms of story progression, if I remember right.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yeah, different stuff depending on your ending. I'm not sure what the stuff is though

What if you have a clear file with 2 or 3 different endings on it?
DO you get all the rewards, or just the ones for the ending you got most recently?

NeonZ

Damn....the story/characters didn't do it for me at all. None of the people were interesting to me at all.

There's bigger character focus in Apocalypse than in IV, although the issue is that their development is rather atypical for the mainline SMT series, basically going all
power of bonds
and such. So, it depends on how you take something like that.

It's a pseudo sequel that starts after the neutral route was chosen by the previous hero, but before the ending itself. It stars a character from Tokyo who's introduced to the plot from a completely different point of view from the original SMTIV. Anyway, it's likely not considered a proper SMTV because it reuses many assets from IV like most Tokyo districts, some dungeon areas and the Kaneko demon sprites.

Neoweee

The bolded for me.

Which reminds me: The Lawful path is one of the single worst endings I've seen in a videogame.

My summary of SMT4 Law Path (Giant Spoilers):
Oh, you believe in handicaps in sports, therefore YAHWEH IS GREAT, TIME TO SUICIDE BOMB TOKYO

It's just so dumb and unsatisfying.

There's bigger character focus in Apocalypse than in IV, although the issue is that their development is rather atypical for the mainline SMT series, basically going all
power of bonds
and such.

I'll get this game, but that not what I wanted to hear at all. But hey, maybe I'll like it.

Which reminds me: The Lawful path is one of the single worst endings I've seen in a videogame.

My summary of SMT4 Law Path (Giant Spoilers):
Oh, you believe in handicaps in sports, therefore YAHWEH IS GREAT, TIME TO SUICIDE BOMB TOKYO

It's just so dumb and unsatisfying.

I have to agree that SMTIV's Atmosphere (Mostly background elements like the survivors in Tokyo) generally trumps its narrative logistics by a cliff side's worth of margins.

I found Apocalypse's narrative more enjoyable because it's less dry than SMTIV. Though not really by too much. I do generally agree with FluxWave's review above.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Persona is anime garbage, so no

And this isn't? Since anime can apparently mean anything at this point as long as it stays within the circle of what you dislike. Oh boy. I am feeling like i'm stepping into a minefield of bad opinions again.

Wrong thread ?

Nah, i'm correlating Atlus's success critically with this game to their newest console venture.

And this isn't? Since anime can apparently mean anything at this point as long as it stays within the circle of what you dislike. Oh boy. I am feeling like i'm stepping into a minefield of bad opinions again.

I'm hoping that this thread and the P5 thread doesn't go down this dark road.

What did people dislike about IV? I thought it was pretty dang close to Nocturne for a handheld game. It was a lot easier, but I'm at the age that I simply can't invest the time of high difficulty crawlers anymore...

I wish they'd make another for PS4 / One though.

Dungeons could have been a little longer and more creative, felt like the smirk system made things too easy and I strongly dislike all the new art.
I liked most of everything else. It felt like a follow up to smt 1 and 2 in a lot of ways and the music is pretty amazing.

Sagely

It's my main issue with the game, which I go over a bit in my own review. It's one of the main themes of the game so it doesn't really seem like a spoiler but, yeah, it was a bit too overbearing.
That's a little bit disappointing, given I really liked how SMTIV avoided this so enthusiastically. It's definitely not enough to put me off the game, and I look forward to the new characters, but I actually enjoyed the themes of SMTIV (being lucky enough to get the Neutral ending probably helped a lot there). Having never played an SMT game before IV, and a few other JRPG series, I found IV refreshing in its lack of that particular trope.

It's my main issue with the game, which I go over a bit in my own review. It's one of the main themes of the game so it doesn't really seem like a spoiler but, yeah, it was a bit too overbearing.

10/10 review for the use of the word saccharine.

I am personally looking forward to this game and am excited to see how everyone else likes it here on GAF.

Ozium

That's a little bit disappointing, given I really liked how SMTIV avoided this so enthusiastically. It's definitely not enough to put me off the game, and I look forward to the new characters, but I actually enjoyed the themes of SMTIV (being lucky enough to get the Neutral ending probably helped a lot there). Having never played an SMT game before IV, and a few other JRPG series, I found IV refreshing in its lack of that particular trope.

it's a side story

same thing happened in If

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Cool, but why bring a Persona vs SMT in a SMT review thread? You are trying to derail the thread? Congrats? lol

Er..i wasn't trying to bring a Versus match into it between the two games in terms of quality, i was saying they are both gonna be great games cause Atlus knows how to make em.

I'm hoping that this thread and the P5 thread doesn't go down this dark road.

They will, eventually. Just like the Persona 4 threads of yesteryear.

cacildo

Yeah, different stuff depending on your ending. I'm not sure what the stuff is though
Thanks

You get bonuses based on what and how many endings you got. I only had the neutral ending, so I got some app points, some stuff to sell for easy money, and a custom Streetpass title. I think there might've been some other stuff, too, but I don't think I'm far enough to redeem those yet.

It also has the weirdest transfer process I've ever seen on the 3DS if you're going physical. Since IV didn't save any extra data, you need to physically eject the Apocalypse cartridge at a menu, insert the IV cartridge, let that read, and then pop the Apocalypse cart back in.

Eheh thanks. That was pretty interesting

Sagely

it's a side story

same thing happened in If
Sure I understand that, but having not played any other SMT games I don't know what to expect of a side story in the series. Since I really liked that aspect of SMTIV it stands to reason that someone in my position might be concerned about a change of tone, but it's not going to put me off buying the game. In fact I'm glad that it's been brought up so I can go in prepared and focus on the improvements instead.

Fandangox

SMT IV V was on the planning board.

Also I hope the dungeon are a lot more complex this time around, 4's dungeons were lackluster.

SoulUnison

Banned

Stop 'n Swop lives!

Bebpo

Banned
Better than 4 still not as good as Nocturne description is spot on. Great game, can still do some stuff better for SMT5 to bring it back to Nocturne's quality.

Damn....the story/characters didn't do it for me at all. None of the people were interesting to me at all.

Characters are waaaaaay better here. SMTIV's cast were terrible by franchise standards. By the end of this game the cast is alright. Story is about the same quality as 4, it's compelling but kinda dumb by the end so you're mainly just in it for the great gameplay & setting.

Those are basically my issues with SMT4 as well.

Top Bottom