• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Crash Team Racing

Talk about a game being ahead of its time.

fdOWzJ8.jpg

CTR is like modern Mario Kart, but more than a decade prior. The course interactivity, design and its obstacles are way more varied and flamboyant than the karting competition of its generation. The controls are super tight and make the title fun from the very first time you start it. However, on top of that, the mechanics underneath are very rewarding as you learn them. CTR provides bonus boosts for enhanced jumps, which Mario Kart copied way later. Manual, stackable boosts during drifting are also a great enhancement within this genre, which adds to the feeling of accomplishment, when pulled off properly. Many tracks are hence all about chaining boosts, big jumps and it hasn't aged at all. Even the presentation isn't all that bad, the game can still feel pretty fast.

EXcJo5C.gif

Ultimately, only the story mode falls flat, which people usually bring up in comparison to Diddy Kong Racing. Unfortunately, the overworld map isn't necessary at all and the boss fights are completely throwaway. You also can't ever change the character you first chose in singleplayer. Still, it at the very least adds a decent amount of additional challenges and content.
Ironically, this might be the best Crash game, since it never loses focus of what's important (unlike say, bad racing stages in a platformer like Crash 3).

It in fact might be the only Crash title in which I don't lose motivation to go for 100%. Amazing game.

I'm glad we're getting a remastered collection but it still disappointed me greatly that this isn't included. I used to spend hours on this.

TissueBox

Tight controls and blessed with an irresistible flow once you find your rhythm...mastering it is a challenge but learning it is ND's gift to kart racing.

Is this available on PSN? Is it part of the Crash remasters? Never played this game or been into the Crash series but I'm aware of how widely loved CTR is.

Edit: Was it Diddy Kong Racing levels or Mario Kart 64 levels they ported onto the PSX as they were trying to figure out how to make this game? I swear they did that with one of those two games

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It is the best kart racer period.

The first Sonic Racing game actually is. I never got the hype with CTR. It's a really good game, but the drifting system is terrible.

AKC12

I fail to see how the overworld is unnecessary when it's a way to constantly practice the game's driving mechanics

I fail to see how the overworld is unnecessary when it's a way to constantly practice the game's driving mechanics

I mean, once you've got it down, there's really no need to stretch my time between races. And I also saw it in comparison to Diddy Kong Racing, which iirc had more things to actually discover.

Playsage

Man, how I wish this game was given a "Halo CE anniversary"-like treatment, I would play the shit out of it.

Who am I kidding, I am actually playing it right now!

guyssorry

Big Nintendo fan here.

CTR is still my favorite Kart Racer, and I do think it is the best (along with MK8 and Sonic Transformed). I actually really enjoyed the overworld. I thought it was fun, and I had a blast drifting into the level portals. Love this game.

Phreak47

When this came out I had 3 regular hardcore Kart 64 friends (my friend had the N64, I had the PS1). I couldn't quite convince them to get into this, I remember them complaining about not understanding the drift-boost mechanic. Fuckers just didn't have the patience.

The game ran great in 4 player split on the PS1... an achievement that was sadly rare. I remember reading about some nice rendering tricks ND used, where they essentially didn't render the back sides of objects that were out of the player's view.

It was, until Mario Kart 8.

I recently FINALLY got to play MK8 and yeah, fuck's sake, that's the new king. Shame, because I pick up what CTR is putting down far more (especially with regards to single-player content, which might as well not exist in modern MK games), but it's real fucking good.

Before now, it's been the holy trinity of Sonic Transformed, MKDS and CTR.

BigEmil

Can't believe they are remaking Crash 1 - 3 but not also CTR? Someone should've made a petition or something straight after announcement to include CTR to be remade too :/

Frillen

I love how every single CTR thread turns into a CTR vs Mario Kart thread were most people haven either never played a Mario Kart title in their life or a just a couple, but still write it as a fact that CTR is the best. Every. single. thread.

Yeah but the PS1 graphics and all eh it deserves better treatment, a simple remaster alone would be great

To be honest I think it looks pretty good. Obviously it's a PS1 game, but like Crash 2 and 3, it's a really, REALLY good looking PS1 game. The style has aged magnificently. A remaster to redraw the UI elements and such would be nice, but I dig it a ton as is.

I actually feel the platformers don't really need remakes either, but they're happening so whatever.

5taquitos

I love how every single CTR thread turns into a CTR vs Mario Kart thread were most people haven either never played a Mario Kart title in their life or a just a couple, but still write it as a fact that CTR is the best. Every. single. thread.

And yet here you are perpetuating it by disparaging people that honestly like it better than Mario Kart.

Top Bottom