• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The world could use a new Burnout game.

SimTourist

Looking at how people drive online in most racing games, ramming and pushing each other at every opportunity, to me it just shows that people are hungry for dirty driving but the problem is the current crop of racers doesn't incorporate ramming and pushing as an actual game mechanic. But we used to have games that did: in Burnout you could takedown your opponents to get some nitro, you could control your car if you got crashed and try to collide with the fools behind, you could explode your crashed car. In Flatout you could crash someone and have their driver fly out of the windshield with ragdoll physics. In Blur you could drop the usual Mario Kart style bonuses like mines or blue shells and bullets. In Split Second you could bring down a plane or a bridge on your opponents. In Motorstorm you could choose anything from a bike to a truck each having unique gameplay advantages and disadvantages, you also had the manage the if you boost too much and could use water to cool down. In Driver San Francisco you could take over any car on the road including oncoming traffic and crash into your opponents and then continue on your way. Looking at this mess I just remember all the games where crashing was the intended way to play.

Mowcno

There is a big gap in the market there. There are still arcade racers but really nothing that's much like Burnout anymore. Modern NFS is nothing like it.

A new game like Burnout 2/3 or even a sequel to Blur would be very welcome right about now. I think Split/Second also deserved a sequel.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Racing games aren’t as popular as they used to be unfortunately. There are way less racing games on the market these days.

SimTourist

Racing games aren’t as popular as they used to be unfortunately. There are way less racing games on the market these days.
I think there is market there, online multiplayer wasn't as widely popular back when Burnout, Split Second or Blur last released, those concepts were a bit ahead of their time.

ScHlAuChi

There was Dangerous Driving 1+2 by the former Burnout devs!
Good games, but not the same production value as Burnout obviously.

Toots

Gold Member
The world could use another burnout for sure, and i could use being 14 again playing the gamecube one all afternoon with my highschool friends...
Happy Forever Young GIF by Pudgy Penguins

EA should give us a Burnout 1-4 collection. Then they can leave this industry. Because I'm not sure they can make an actual good new Burnout even if they wanted to, that last NFS by Criterion was mid af.

Last edited:
I need a Burnout Revenge successor though unfortunately they would us rap music now instead of sick ass pop punk.

And I need a new Motorstorm game.

wvnative

Burnout Paradise rivals FF7 as my all time favorite game, never getting a proper follow up to that is a stain on my heart.

Can't figure out why open world racing games went backwards after that.

Cashon

Banned
I loved Burnout 3: Takedown, but could never finish it at release. There was one event that I could never beat; I think it was with an F1 type car.

Burnout Revenge was great too, but the traffic checking system, and some of the other modes like Road Rage, kinda brought it down for me.

Burnout Paradise was okay, but nowhere near the highs of Takedown, though I did get the Platinum for it.

I would welcome a return to the likes of 3.

The only roadblock is EA though. EA is just squatting on a large portion of their IPs without putting them to much use.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
After Ea bought Codemasters, they have no idea what to do with it. And Ea won't dare to bring out a burnout game. The only hope is dangerous driving 3, from the ex Bournout makers, but part 2 wasn't that great.

The Stig

I spent so much time in the demolition mode (cant remember the name), was so disappointed when they took it out

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Dangerous Driving?
Yeah. Haven't heard very good reviews of those games, but i can imagine some other indie studio with the passion and love for the originals will make a more worthy successor.

Either way you do not need EA for a Burnout spiritual successor to happen and in today's climate where everyone in a racing game can't seem to help but ram it'd be a nice change.

Quezacolt

Burnout in the same vein as Takedown and Revenge is what is needed. None of this open world driving bullshit.

Driving games these days are so fucking boring and people cry and moan online if you purposefully crash into them, whereas Burnout encouraged it.
I agree.
Paradise was a good game, but i don't think the open world was needed at all.
It made the maps in actual races feel less varied imo.

Guilty_AI

Its difficult being picky with racing games these days. You can still find cool stuff but never exactly what you want.

There's this game i remember playing quite some time ago. though its probably more similar to Twisted Metal than Burnout. Sharing since many likely haven't heard of it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

We have BeamNG too. Imagine if a dev got BeamNG to license their engine over for crash scenes in a burnout spiritual successor.

Hungry Episode 11 GIF by The Simpsons
It'd be a bit difficult since the game's physics are closely tied with the crash model.

Though it's still possible to come up with some interesting race modes with loads of carnage.

Shut0wen

I would rather outrun 3 but if they had to make a burnout game then they have to make it like burnout revenge or burnout 3 and nothing like paradise, seriously making the game open world was the biggest mistake that killed the franchise

Guilty_AI

Looking at how people drive online in most racing games, ramming and pushing each other at every opportunity, to me it just shows that people are hungry for dirty driving but the problem is the current crop of racers doesn't incorporate ramming and pushing as an actual game mechanic.
Speaking of Beamng, its interesting how that game solves this exact issue by making crashing or dangerous driving a much bigger risk than in normal racing games. Even trying to take tight corner by going off-road a bit might just result in punctured tires, broken axles or straight up roll over your car.

Last edited:

RavageX

I'd love to see a mix of burnout 3 and split second. Throw in some environmental takedowns and some bad, bad weather.

And a TOTALLY SEPARATE type....carmageddon with twisted metal and vigilante 8 all mixed together. Pedestrians included.

Guilty_AI

No. There is just something wonderful about a specifically designed closed course. I also want a dedicated crash mode.
Technically you can design a bunch of courses and just stitch them together to form an open world. Some racing games kind of did that in fact..

bender

What time is it?
Technically you can design a bunch of courses and just stitch them together to form an open world. Some racing games kind of did that in fact..

I'm sure there is some of that in FH and while it is a series I love, the lap based races or my least favorite and least memorable aspects of the game. The racing in that game is at its' best when it is a checkpoint, A-to-B styled course. And even at that, racing is my favorite aspect of that series. I really hated Paradise which had a handful of destinations that every race finished at with the intersections being the starting points which quickly grew tiresome.

Guilty_AI

I'm sure there is some of that in FH and while it is a series I love, the lap based races or my least favorite and least memorable aspects of the game. The racing in that game is at its' best when it is a checkpoint, A-to-B styled course. And even at that, racing is my favorite aspect of that series. I really hated Paradise which had a handful of destinations that every race finished at with the intersections being the starting points which quickly grew tiresome.
i'd argue the main issue with paradise is the way they designed the racing courses, the game would've been much better if they had the tracks in the open world designed in a more traditional way.

One second approach i don't see very often is to have no set open world to drive around in, but still have all of the game's tracks in one enviroment (with space for variety of course), with different tracks sometimes sharing roads or landmarks that can be seen from different perspectives in different courses. NFS Underground 1 did that and i always thought it was kind of neat, it gave a sense of wonder and mystery to the city that i couldn't get with U2.

Top Bottom