• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't unplug your PS4 while it is on

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
My launch PS4 has an annoying "feature" where it turns on by itself, instead of shutting it down from the controller and then unplugging it i just yanked the power cable off and went to sleep. Today i boot the PS4 and i encounter an error saying i needed to reinstall the latest firmware through a USB drive but doing so will delete all my data, i couldn't find any solution online so i just initialized my system causing me to lose everything. It's not a total loss because i think got most of my saves on the cloud but i have to redownload everything again which is horrible. The most peculiar thing is that i have unplugged my PS4 several times and this is the first time i see such an error, so yeah be careful guys.

Kyari

It probably turned on to update and in pulling the power out midupdate you caused it to require a reupdate?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm pretty sure the system warns you not to pull the plug even on standby mode, always fully power it down. But nice warning for people like you who didn't heed the first warning?

Quonny

I think I've read this warning for 20+ years now on hundreds of devices.

Why you would think this wouldn't apply to the PS4, shrugemote.

My launch PS4 has an annoying "feature" where it turns on by itself, instead of shutting it down from the controller and then unplugging it i just yanked the power cable off and went to sleep. Today i boot the PS4 and i encounter an error saying i needed to reinstall the latest firmware through a USB drive but doing so will delete all my data, i couldn't find any solution online so i just initialized my system causing me to lose everything. It's not a total loss because i think got most of my saves on the cloud but i have to redownload everything again which is horrible. The most peculiar thing is that i have unplugged my PS4 several times and this is the first time i see such an error, so yeah be careful guys.

probably not something to make a habit of. with any appliance :) ...

I've had my PS4 have its flashing orange light go on for hours while in sleep mode. Unresponsive, no beeps, nothing. Couldnt power it on. My only option was to unlpug it. When I turned it back on, had to rebuild its data base but everything was fine. Anyone ever had that happen?

Guess Who

Banned
It tells you this literally every time you put it to sleep.

For emphasis:

XwWVimU.jpg

You shouldn't do that with any electronic device. what do you expect to happen?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Now that you guys mention it the PS4 does say something about power and stuff when i turn it off....oh well it must not be be important.

yeah i'm an idiot

hao chi

I've done this a few times on accident when packing up my PS4, but I try to remember to boot it back up and actually power it off first. I mean, the PS4 is basically Mr. Resetti with how it yells at you not to do that whenever you do fuck up, so it should be obvious that you should only unplug it while the system is fully powered off.

chekhonte

isn't this basic knoweldge of any electronic device

Not really. Yanking the battery from your phone is fine and every console before the ps2 had an off switch that just killed the power. You can unplug your pc when it's on or lose power with out really encountering problems as long as you've saved whatever you're working on.

muteki

On one hand, this is a general rule of thumb kinda thing.

On the other, power outages are a real thing and the device shouldn't shit the bed when one happens.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
People learn basic logic of electronic devices at a point in their life.

This is that point for you OP.

totowhoa

Banned
OP:

The default option for turning it "off" puts it into rest mode. I believe it's an extra button press or two in the menu when turning it off to "truly" turn it off. That will keep it from turning on overnight.

This feature annoyed me too, because I really don't have any interest in the features. Would rather save on electricity. Though I do put it in rest mode intentionally sometimes

adamy

Banned
I've done this a billion times with computers and laptops (for laptops I've removed the battery while not plugged in)...never had a single issue

your hardware will be fine and your OS should be able to handle it without problems

Top Bottom