• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Heroes Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/21/y...te-its-site-via-a-new-youtube-heroes-program/

Earlier this month, YouTube launched its own social network of sorts with the debut of YouTube Community; now it’s enlisting help from viewers to help moderate it, along with other content on the video-sharing site. The company has announced the launch of a new, crowdsourced moderation program called “YouTube Heroes,” which asks volunteers to perform tasks like flagging inappropriate content, adding captions and subtitles, and responding to questions on the YouTube Help forum, among other things.

YouTube says that those who participate will be eligible to receive perks, including access to exclusive workshops and sneak preview product launches, for example.

The company didn’t make a formal announcement about YouTube Heroes, but instead published news via its YouTube Help channel, where it was spotted first by the blog 9to5Google.

In the video, YouTube further details the type of work the volunteers will do. On the moderation side, they won’t just be flagging individual videos, but will also have access to mass flagging tools that would allow them to check off a number of videos at once. They’ll also be tasked with moderating the new social communities on the site.

Heroes will have their own online dashboard to work from, and will be able to take part in “Hero hangouts” at times, the video says. At higher levels, they’ll be able to sneak peeks at new products or even test them out for themselves, as well as contact YouTube staff directly.

Nokterian

Let's make a program that we will not abuse..but it will be abused at large. Letting the scum be the heroes and the legit people being butchered..what a dumb program.

BY2K

Membero Americo
On the moderation side, they won’t just be flagging individual videos, but will also have access to mass flagging tools that would allow them to check off a number of videos at once. They’ll also be tasked with moderating the new social communities on the site.

I see NO possible way for this to be abuse and used for the wrong reasons. NOPE.

petghost

Banned
this seems like a pretty awful idea that is very prone to be abused by people with ideological biases. like the ability to mass flag a channel and basically shut it down is something that seems absurdly abuse-able.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait, how does this selection process of 'heroes' work?

This is so rite for abuse if this isn't carefully controlled, it's ridiculous.

Gastone

As if the new ToS wasn't bullshit enough, resulting in demonitized videoes from popular users, they decide to take it a step further with this. Is YT trying to kill itself?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
As someone said on Twitter, a lot of the perks seems to be "You shovelled 10 tons of coal. You win, a larger shovel."

Bronx-Man

Banned
Why does every popular website always enact the dumbest changes imaginable? Is this just a side effect of Silicon Valley fuckers having their heads up their asses 24/7?

rrs

handing out points for flagging sounds like a bad idea
Technolibertarian answers to every single problem. Why am I not surprised
Why hire someone to fix the problem when you can find someone who will do it for free

Why does every popular website always enact the dumbest changes imaginable? Is this just a side effect of Silicon Valley fuckers having their heads up their asses 24/7?

More like youtube still isn't profitable, and people complain about the automation of flagging videos 24/7, with paying people to actively moderate the content being completely unfeasible given the sheer volume. So from that line of thought, the idea of getting volunteers isn't so terrible.

I don't think this will work well in practice.

I tried to apply, but my Google account doesn't have a Youtube channel because the assholes are STILL forcing Google+. Weren't they supposed to end that a long time ago?

Lol why is Youtube's management so awful? I feel like every other week this past year they've announce some ridiculous change. Even ignoring the potential abuse this just seems like a way for youtube to easily offload responsibility of moderating their site to their userbase. And without costing them a dime either.

whitehawk

Banned
This could work, it sounds a lot like their google maps 'Local Guide' program works. The more you contribute and proven to google you are reliable and trustworthy, the more perks and reputation/influence you get.

Acorn

GAF has volunteer moderators and it works just fine. There's no reason this can't work in practice.
GAF is much smaller and there is an account approval process, it isn't a model youtube can just lift and apply to their millions of users without issue.

Potential for issues aside, 'YouTube Heroes' in the best they could come up with?

Imagine a bunch of Leafy fans in the comments talking about being a "HERO"

Jesus.

Hale-XF11

I don't really see much incentive to participate. Their "rewards" are essentially you getting to do more work for youtube for free.

Twentieth

Crowdsourcing might reduce costs, but it'll be very hard along the way.

People in this thread might not see any benefits to participate, but a lot of people do free work for companies such as Valve and Twitter (regarding translations) simply because they feel it helps their "communities".

daviyoung

Banned
can't wait to see footage from the Heroes summit!

ballpit2.jpg

Akim

Banned
It's basically the same qualifications as moderating a Web Forum... cool to talk about in passing, impossible to actually advertise on a resume

Eh, some people get paid to moderate forums. I think it has a lot of transferable skills. Decision making, driving and following processes, resolving conflict, analytical and problemsolving, etc.

daviyoung

Banned
Eh, some people get paid to moderate forums. I think it has a lot of transferable skills. Decision making, driving and following processes, resolving conflict, analytical and problemsolving, etc.

I remember years ago it was said that putting "raid leader" or whatever the term is from WoW on your resume would be an appreciated and recognisable skill to future employers. It shows leadership, risk management, time management and organisation qualities.

Haven't heard about any real case studies of its success though, just seemed like a journalistic pipe dream at best.

Acorn

Sure it does but put that on a CV and you'll be laughed out at the sifting phase.

Sure, but if you got paid to moderate a forum you could technically justify it as employment experience on a resume/cv. Though for the standard case, you will get laughed out of the interview

Strimei

Oh yeah this is a terrific idea, no way that'll be abused, no sir. I mean, the flagging system already is top notch, right?

/s

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
RIP Youtube.

Volunteer moderation will be a shitshow used to suppress content and views.

Hopefully a more open video platform blooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom