• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This sentence is self-contradictory. If you don't agree with something, that's the very definition of not supporting it.

By voting for a person, you are enabling them to put their views into policy.

Saying, "Well I knew they'd do that bad thing, but I voted for them so they could do this other not bad thing", doesn't mean you didn't support their ability to do that bad thing.

Support means enable to function, or act. What you agree with is wholly irrelevant.

Skrams

I'm a bit confused since this seems like throwing money around as a joke or something. I don't even understand why he says he's supported trumps presidential stuff for years and encouraged him last run around. He's lying or overstating considering he was barely off the ground with the kickstarter at that time.

Is this all just some dank meme I don't get.

redcrayon

This sentence is self-contradictory. If you don't agree with something, that's the very definition of not supporting it.
No, because by voting in someone who means to enact something you disagree with, you have enabled it. Disagreeing with something is an opinion. Voting for a package that includes it, whether you agree with it or not, is an action. Two very different things. Voting for a group of policies, only some of which you think are horrific, doesn't let you wash your hands of any responsibility once those policies start to affect other people, at that point your opinion is worthless compared to what your action enabled. Same goes for any individual who thinks all individuals are blameless when together they make up/voted for a larger group that then has the power and national infrastructure to achieve truly horrific stuff. Plenty of examples throughout history.

Zafir

Well, I always thought he was a bit of a douche.

Guess this just confirms he's more than just a bit of a douche.

Those tweets of his girlfriend too, yeesh. :|

I mean, wtf do you think supporting / voting for a candidate means?

That's why I won't be voting at all in this election. There is no candidate I find capable of leading this country in the right direction.

And before I get the "Not voting is a vote for Trump!" No its not. If this country is asinine enough to put Trump into power then godspeed and can't believe we let it get to this point. But I'm not casting a vote for Hilary either.

I may vote to honor those that fought for my right to Vote, but I'll just write in my own ballet

That's like saying if you support Clinton you support abortion. Again, not necessarily true. Both are false equivalences, especially in light of the fact that the majority of people supporting one candidate or the other are doing so because they aren't the other one.

Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims and Mexicans from entering the country and deport those that live there. He's been endorsed by the former leader of the Ku-Klux-Klan and his campaign head is a literal white supremacist. This doesn't even compare to being pro-choice you idiot.

You may not agree with Bornstellar but resorting to personal attacks like this is harmful and not necessary. Grow up and calm down.

No, because by voting in someone who means to enact something you disagree with, you have enabled it. Disagreeing with something is an opinion. Voting for a package that includes it, whether you agree with it or not, is an action. Two very different things. Voting for a group of policies, only some of which you think are horrific, doesn't let you wash your hands of any responsibility once those policies start to affect other people, at that point your opinion is worthless compared to what your action enabled. Same goes for any individual who thinks all individuals are blameless when together they make up a larger group that can do truly horrific stuff. Plenty of examples throughout history.

So what you're saying is that if I want to remain guiltless as a voter, I shouldn't settle for a lessor of two evils. ;)

Cartman86

Banned
I'm a bit confused since this seems like throwing money around as a joke or something. I don't even understand why he says he's supported trumps presidential stuff for years and encouraged him last run around. He's lying or overstating considering he was barely off the ground with the kickstarter at that time.

Seems like he's a multimillionaire with odious beliefs who got the chance to play around with the big boy trolls by bankrolling them. They mix in their weird troll language that allows them to feel disconnected from any sort of actual stance on politics while at the same time only doing it because of a very political impulse.

Whoa. I always got a bad vibe from Luckey...and now I know why.

Every single business partner of Oculus needs to distance themselves far away from Luckey ASAP.

In this election, it probably means you hate the other person more.

More relevant to the topic, that post reads 100% as parody and there is no confirmable source on the article. I'm waiting this one out before passing judgement.
I hear what you're saying, and I think you're accurately describing what a vast amount of the country is feeling.

However, in the end elections are about personal responsibility. Like another poster said, a vote means you're all in. You have a clear choice between two people who stand for dramatically different things.

You're responsible for what you support in this world.

tuxfool

Banned

Just look at his GFs tweets. They're pretty damning.

Damn, this thread is moving fast. I hope he responds to either confirm or deny the facts in the article. I had no feelings towards the guy either way and I've been on the PSVR wagon the whole time anyways.

But I have to say those posts are just so out there that my first impression is to think they're faked. The guy hasn't given any statements publicly (AFAIK) that would infer this kind of thinking and now out of the blue he's exposed. If they're 100% real, then so be it but I can't help but think that if the story's too good to be true then it probably is. I'll keep an eye on this but I'm going to wait for some sort of confirmation/denial and more proof than thedailybeast quoting thedailybeast.

I sure hope Facebook shitcans this guy. This is the definition of gross. I hope NeoGAF doesn't throw support towards their technology until he's gone. I really hate the fact I own a Samsung VR now. Blech.

By that logic anyone who supports Trump is a white supremacist. I don't believe that to be true even if a not insignificant portion of his base is.

While you're totally right that supporting Trump doesn't necessarily make one a white supremacists, but what it does do is engender people who are one. There in lies a big part of the problem with this election. I totally get why people don't care for Hillary Clinton and not wanting to support her is a totally reasonable thing to do. What I don't understand is why people who see the kind of people Trump attracts support him. Giving Trump power will likely give power to the really awful aspects of his base power as well. This will set back tons of progress that not only the USA, but the entire world has achieved to try and make the world a little more fair.

One would like to think that a person like Palmer Luckey could see that, but it seems they can't, and its all the more infuriating. Those people feel Hillary Clinton is terrible, but that doesn't mean they have to ruin it for everyone in an attempt to keep her from winningn. Abstain from voting or cast a symbolic vote for someone else, but don't feed the hate and rage that is currently part of Trump's platform.

Sibylus

Banned
So what you're saying is that if I want to remain guiltless as a voter, I shouldn't settle for a lessor of two evils. ;)

Your choice of consequence is between a platform of xenophobia, white supremacy, and beginner's fascism... and standard pro-corporate social democracy.

How evil is our lesser evil here? Think about it. Think about it hard.

jax

Banned
Glad I went with the Vive, yet I hope the Touch controllers can be purchased seperately and used instead of the default Vive wands.

Luckeys always been an ass.

Aters

hIWNuDW.png

A truly inspirational man.

I'm out of touch. Is this a joke or is it serious?

I sure hope Facebook shitcans this guy. This is the definition of gross. I hope NeoGAF doesn't throw support towards their technology until he's gone. I really hate the fact I own a Samsung VR now. Blech.

I feel the same way. I use it a lot, but will no longer spend a dime on the store.

Landford

Banned
Damn, this thread is moving fast. I hope he responds to either confirm or deny the facts in the article. I had no feelings towards the guy either way and I've been on the PSVR wagon the whole time anyways.

But I have to say those posts are just so out there that my first impression is to think they're faked. The guy hasn't given any statements publicly (AFAIK) that would infer this kind of thinking and now out of the blue he's exposed. If they're 100% real, then so be it but I can't help but think that if the story's too good to be true then it probably is. I'll keep an eye on this but I'm going to wait for some sort of confirmation/denial and more proof than thedailybeast quoting thedailybeast.

His girlfriend tweets are very damning to confirm this is actually his views.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Thanks for the unwarranted ad-hominem, especially when you and others continuously miss the point? It's not about abortion vs. white supremacy, it's about whether people who support a candidate necessarily align with all of their views.

I thought it was about Palmer Lucky specifically. In his case he isn't a low information voter choosing to cast a vote. He's working directly with two white supremicists(white nationalists) on running a shitposting campaign, and has a girlfriend who is openly racist. I think he has earned the label.

As far as Trump's millions of supporters, I'm sure not every single last one is a white supremicist. But in general, I do feel comfortable saying a large majority of them have those leanings.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Man, some of you need to do a bit of fact checking before you go on some jihad against the OR.

Palmer Luckey is not employed by Facebook.

He's not? Does he just go to Oculus events and present products for Facebook/Oculus for fun?

Cartman86

Banned
Yep, and MS is heavily promoting it.

Shit,
Shit,
Fucking shit.

Microsoft has not confirmed what VR is supported for the Scorpio. If it will be multiple kinds, their own, the existing Rift, Vive a new etc. People have asked about Valve relationship and all they've said is that they have been talking with them.

Fat4all

Banned

looking through some of his 'liked' tweets on Twitter, this accusation isn't surprising at all.

And it shall be named, 'The Dance of the Wasted Vote'.

Oh well. That's my choice and if I'm going to do something as important as voting then I will put my voice however small for what I believe in. The idea that I have to "compromise" to the absolute bull shit 2 party system this country has is not something I'm willing to support.

If a Dem or a Repub puts up someone I believe in they'll get my vote. But fuck settling your personal values and beliefs just to support the system.

Good luck to this country, and of the 2 dear god I hope Hilary gets in over Trump, but I'm not going to make my voice heard in support of either.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ohhhh fuck.

Yeah, this basically kills any (little) interest I had left in Oculus' solution.

Aters

I absolutely detest Trump. That being said, I don't think all of his supporters are racists.

Maybe like 75% of them.

The other 25% are probably sexist, uneducated, neurotically fearful, and/or some combination of the above.

Damn. America has a larger questionable population than I thought. What a dangerous country.

Your choice of consequence is between a platform of xenophobia, white supremacy, and beginner's fascism... and standard pro-corporate social democracy.

How evil is our lesser evil here? Think about it. Think about it hard.

An easy choice, but fortunately I'm not in a swing state seeing as how there is no candidate out there that I'd be happy to vote for.

Top Bottom