• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22% of Trump supporters expect him to use nuclear weapons if president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington, DC – September 23, 2016 – Voters believe that a Donald Trump presidency would bring unprecedented risks to the United States, according to a new SurveyMonkey poll of 1,051 registered voters conducted on behalf of the Lincoln Leadership Initiative, a group of former Republican elected officials and staffers. The survey asked respondents to assign a percentage chance from 0 (no chance) to 100 (a certainty) that certain events would take place during a Trump presidency, if he is elected, and the overall results average those scores.

Survey respondents said they believed there was a 46 percent chance that Donald Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear weapon if elected and a 54 percent chance that a Trump presidency would lead to a default on U.S. government debt. Surprisingly, many Trump supporters shared those concerns, assigning a one in five (22 percent) chance of Trump authorizing the use of a nuclear weapon and a one in three (33 percent) chance of a U.S. default on its debt.

Among the survey findings, respondents said if Trump is elected president there would be a:

46 percent chance that Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear device against ISIS or another foreign enemy;
54 percent chance the U.S. government would default on its debt;
65 percent chance Trump would use the powers of his office against a political opponent;
54 percent chance Trump would create a database to track all Muslims in the U.S.;
53 percent chance Trump would order the military to target the families of terrorists;
44 percent chance Trump would authorize internment camps for illegal immigrants; and
65 percent chance there would be race riots in major U.S. cities.

Trump supporters shared many of those same concerns, with his supporters predicting a:

22 percent chance that Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear weapon;
33 percent chance the U.S. government would default on its debt;
32 percent chance Trump would use the powers of his office against a political opponent;
48 percent chance Trump would create a database to track all Muslims in the U.S.;
29 percent chance Trump would order the military to target the families of terrorists;
32 percent chance Trump would authorize internment camps for illegal immigrants; and
36 percent chance there would be race riots in major U.S. cities.

I like the 30% of Trump supporters who think that Trump will basically be Hitler AND destroy the world economy by defaulting on the debt.

It's like... I mean, a lot of Republicans take economic policies they don't like in exchange for advancing white supremacy, but voting for a guy you think will cause Great Depression 2.0 (much Greater, believe me, believe me. Going to be a Yuge depression, people will starve and die in the streets like this is Venezuela) just to spite minorities? Holy shit, these white people are fucking driven and focused.

http://www.lincolnleaders.org/trump-risk-survey

Biske

I think the mistake a lot of people make is that they think his supporters view these things as a downside. They don't.

Everything negative that you feel disqualifies Trump? Thats why his supporters think he is qualified.

They aren't "concerned" with such things, they are excited.

ZiZ

America is a first world, well educated country. And yet this happens. It's no wonder countries plagued by war and strife give birth to the likes of ISIS.

Savitar

These days due to the over zealous behavior and pandering most Republican candidates seem highly questionable when it comes to having nuclear capability if they were the man in charge.

0GupreT.gif

I'm more worried about the state of our country after Fanta loses. Like, what do you do with this 40% of the electorate that actively supported and voted for a white nationalist warmongering idiot?

shira

hffJopt.jpg

You know all those scenarios you thought that never would happen as a kid

Well now they are possible.

I'd be curious to know how many of the 22% *want* him to use nuclear weapons...

Well, since they're Trump supporters and think he'll use nuclear weapons, it stands to reason that all 22% want him to. Meaning the number of Trump supporters who actively want Trump to use nukes is probably higher, when you add in those who want him to but don't think he will (though I imagine this is a smaller number).

Kinda reminds me of this.

BHHtvkJ.jpg

For many of these folks the circle would be much, much larger.

I think you may have misread the poll ItWasMeantToBe19, because on the actual survey data page it says that "*Scores indicate average response to question by group". Which wouldn't indicate a percentage of that subset that thinks "Yes" or "No", but rather their opinion on a probability of such an action. Of course, my reading comprehension is a bit weak, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong myself.

http://www.lincolnleaders.org/risk-survey-data

Woorloog

Banned
This makes me think of Judge Dredd comics and how an American president caused a nuclear war for some inane reason... Those comics were satire.

OK, this is just Trump supporters suggesting he might use nukes but... yikes.

do these people not realise that the world might literally end? i mean keep self preservation in mind here, hell, all your stuff is on this planet you don't want that to go away right?

Shadybiz

And now..I don't believe that 22% of my nation's voters on the Trump side know exactly what deployment of nuclear weapons entails.

....Protip: It's the end of goddamn civilization as we know it. Fuck your ipad, fuck your Tesla, fuck your Sunday trips to the grocery store and Applebee's for lunch..it's fucking over.

God...fucking...damnit.

I think you may have misread the poll ItWasMeantToBe19, because on the actual survey data page it says that "*Scores indicate average response to question by group". Which wouldn't indicate a percentage of that subset that thinks "Yes" or "No", but rather their opinion on a probability of such an action. Of course, my reading comprehension is a bit weak, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong myself.

http://www.lincolnleaders.org/risk-survey-data

Ahh, you're right.

But still "Trump supporters say that there's a 22% chance of Trump starting a starting nuclear war" isn't any more encouraging.

royalan

I love, absolutely love, that the more polling information we get, the more Hillary is proven right for labeling half of Trump's supporters as deplorable.

If anything, she was being conservative in her assessment.

Dai101

Banned
This makes me think of Judge Dredd comics and how an American president caused a nuclear war for some inane reason... Those comics were satire.

OK, this is just Trump supporters suggesting he might use nukes but... yikes.

Indeed. I liked when fiction was only that.

Ahh, you're right.

But still "Trump supporters say that there's a 22% chance of Trump starting a starting nuclear war" isn't any more encouraging.

Yeah, it ain't great. Although, it's lower than what I would expect from that demographic when I hear/see their views on the Middle East ("Possible Nuke Area???").

Measley

do these people not realise that the world might literally end? i mean keep self preservation in mind here, hell, all your stuff is on this planet you don't want that to go away right?

These people believe that God or Jesus is coming back to take their Christian souls to paradise.

Thus, what happens here on Earth doesn't matter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
But remember, Hillary lied, and that makes them the same.

These people are literally voting to usher in armageddon.

Dishwalla

Banned
Those 22% are like, "well we've never seen a nuke used in our life time, have only read about it in our poorly written history books. Light em up!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom