• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive Super Mario 3D-Land hack (SM64 style camera and new levels) Star Road 2.

Famous modder Skelux (Super Mario 64 Star Road, and Super Mario 64 2-player mod hacks) announced today that he's working on Star Road 2 and it will be made using Super Mario 3D Land. Besides a whole slew of new levels, the game is being designed to play more like Super Mario 64 (free-style camera).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUWWLt0btE8

This also signals his semi-retirement from SM64 hacking. He'll no longer be doing big hacks for that game, but still plans on releasing a few smaller ones from time to time.

For those curious if this guy is the real deal... here's a video done on the original Star Road and his adding dynamic lighting to Mario 64 and his Super Mario 64 level editor and his Super Mario 64 multiplayer mods

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
This is exactly what I want, Nintendo. I know you're watching. You're going to C&D this guy, but this is exactly what I would pay premium for. This looks fantastic.

While I am not a fan of free-camera Mario games (unless the auto-camera is done almost perfectly, like in Galaxy games), this is an amazing work. I had no idea 3D Land engine was so flexible.

Neiteio

Just 30 seconds in and already more immersive than 3D Land (which I loved) and 3D World (which was good but more of the same).

Man I miss a SM64-style ground-level camera. Really immersed you in the worlds and made you feel like you were on an adventure.

Anth0ny

holy shit.

What's the status of 3D World hacking? Isn't the Wii U also blown wide open at this point? Would be a lot cooler if he did World (w/ full analog stick support) than Land on that crappy 3DS screen w/ circle pad.

Also, hoping he can edit Mario 64 physics/movement into the game :)

Awesome that they're able to make new levels, but that free moving camera seems pretty bad.

It's still fairly early on, but this guy is the real deal when it comes to hacking in new features to old games. Plus I think he's holding a camera while trying to play his demo level there.

Thats real impressive. If they can fix the pop in with the 3D camera that would be amazing.

Where the money that I need to throw in this individual direction?

At his lawyer for the cease and desist Nintendo is sending his way

Announcing a Nintendo fan project right now seems real dumb

indask8

This is exactly what I want, Nintendo. I know you're watching. You're going to C&D this guy, but this is exactly what I would pay premium for. This looks fantastic.

I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo issuing a C&D for a romhack, homebrew games yes but rom hacks?

As long as he only release the patch file he should be ok.

Looks pretty nice. I beat Star Road, it was quite the effort: new levels, music, enemies, stars, it was really good. The final (secret) area almost requires the use of save states, but I still had a blast with it.

I'm excited to see what he does with the SM3DL assets. If his last work was anything to go by, I might like his version more than the vanilla 3D Land.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
SM64 is quite possibly my favorite game ever.

More of that would be perfectly fine, and this looks like that. Awesome stuff.

Zen Beoulve

Neo Member
This is a very good job from the modder, I have never seen such quality from an independent guy, this just confirms me that fucking lazy developers are all around us using unreal engine for every fucking game now...it disgusts me

Wow, that looked amazing, shame about the game limitation (pop-in) but I'm very interested.

I'm not so sure it's a real limitation, or rather just a temporary problem.

https://youtu.be/GUWWLt0btE8?t=1m25s

See the goombas in the bottom left? They are really far away and haven't despawned. I have a feeling it's more an issue with the current way the game spawns enemies versus a hard limitation of the engine.

So say the spawner for the enemies something like "within 10 yards of mario, spawn goomba". He's still in the very early days of the mod, this is the first level and it's not complete yet.

rardk64

They'll pull this ASAP, but I love how this seems like it already feels closer to that Mario game that I want. I loved both SM3DL and SM3DW, played them to just about completion. But I think it's time to look back towards Galaxy now, and evolve upon that. This certainly nods in that direction, and I really hope that's what Nintendo is doing too.

Pretty impressive stuff. I like 3D Land and World but I kinda wish Nintendo made another 3D Mario more in the vein of this.

Sendou

Pretty suprised Mario 3D Land modding is this far. Didn't expect there to be much interest for that but glad I was proven wrong. Hope 3D World is next.

This is a very good job from the modder, I have never seen such quality from an independent guy, this just confirms me that fucking lazy developers are all around us using unreal engine for every fucking game now...it disgusts me

Lazy developers #confirmed

Kouriozan

I'm not so sure it's a real limitation, or rather just a temporary problem.

https://youtu.be/GUWWLt0btE8?t=1m25s

See the goombas in the bottom left? They are really far away and haven't despawned. I have a feeling it's more an issue with the current way the game spawns enemies versus a hard limitation of the engine.

So say the spawner for the enemies something like "within 10 yards of mario, spawn goomba". He's still in the very early days of the mod, this is the first level and it's not complete yet.
Sounds good, thanks for clearing that up.

Lazy devs using Unreal to build games instead of hacking 3DS Mario games smdh

Roo

holy shit.

What's the status of 3D World hacking? Isn't the Wii U also blown wide open at this point? Would be a lot cooler if he did World (w/ full analog stick support) than Land on that crappy 3DS screen w/ circle pad.

Also, hoping he can edit Mario 64 physics/movement into the game :)
The hacking scene on Wii U is still too green when it comes to this.

Right now it seems focused on stuff you already see in Smash, Kart 8, Splatoon, etc and model ripping.

They're still figuring out tools and software to work with Wii U games.

DylanEno

This dude is amazingly talented. Game looked super boring, though, IMO. Makes me realize how much more I'd prefer another Galaxy type game.

Although... I guess for me it really is more about the level design and environment than whether it's linear or free roaming 3D like this. If the world looks charming and exciting, I'm totally onboard.

Kneefoil

Was expecting the camera to be a mess, but the auto-camera seems to work fairly well. That's at least one point it has over Super Mario: Star Road, which I actually did not like very much. I thought most of the levels in it were pretty badly designed, but I'll keep an eye out for this in case the modder has improved in that regard. The fact that this is 3D Land has me slightly worried though since that is my least favourite official Mario game.

Vibed

Wow, just a few months ago I was wondering when he'd have another update on Star Road 2, and now it turns out its on the SM3DL engine?! Sorta disappointed cause I wanted more of straight up SM64, but also very excited at the possibilities here. Am I seeing that he added in triple jumps?

Wow, just a few months ago I was wondering when he'd have another update on Star Road 2, and now it turns out its on the SM3DL engine?! Sorta disappointed cause I wanted more of straight up SM64, but also very excited at the possibilities here. Am I seeing that he added in triple jumps?

As far as I remember, 3D Land and 3D World had triple jumps.

BooJoh

Really impressive that he was able to do this with 3D Land, but the camera looks like it hinders the gameplay, all you can usually see is his immediate surroundings. The video kind of just made me want more 3DL/3DW.

Wait what the what?! I never even imagined that N64 games could get rom hacked like NES/SNES games holy shit. I assume you need an emulator to play these and it's not some kind of hardware flash cart or something?

Seriously, I'm all over this. Some naïve part of me thought we might even get a Super Mario 3D Land 2 like this some day. I would prefer not to hack my 3DS, but stuff like this sure is tempting.

Yasumi

Banned
You can see immediately from that video how the camera change limits platformer playability. Mario has to move slower, enemies and obstacles are harder to deal with, and more.
He couldn't run because he was controlling with one hand, using the other to hold the camera.

Kyuur

Possibly the most excited I've been for a Mario game in a long time. I kind of wish he could do this with 3D World instead but I'll take it.

You can see immediately from that video how the camera change limits platformer playability. Mario has to move slower, enemies and obstacles are harder to deal with, and more.

I mean, 3D land was already a slower game... that said, this is VERY early on and he's playing one handed. Check his other hacks, this guy is very legit and the end result will be amazing.

You can question his level design ethos, but not his ability to make impressive improvements to game engines.

[Fugo];219051047 said:
how can I able to play this on my new 3ds xl?
(i have 3ds land)

It's not out yet, but it'll likely be a patch to a decrypted rom. You'll then have to play in citra or convert to a .cia file for installation. If you want to know how to dump/decrypt your roms, head over to the 3DS homebrew thread.

Tain

uh, developers using an insanely fleshed-out and powerful engine to make their own games shouldn't disgust you lol

.... I don't understand how using unreal engine makes you anywhere near lazy. Jesus son.

WillyFive

Notice that it is being filmed with a camera. I doubt there's someone else holding it up for him.

And besides, Super Mario 64 shows that your idea that open world platforming means everything needs to go slower and enemies harder to deal with is false. Then again, Mario 64 isn't crippled with a super limited move set and digital run button like 3D Land is.

Top Bottom