• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained picks up publisher - 505 Games

Giolon

So all I can find is a lot of speculation about Deep Sivler being the publisher with news articles most recently reporting on DS trademarking Bloodstained. I wonder what happens to that a Trademark now?

As far as reaching a wider audience, I hope that doesn't mean drastic changes to the style or substance of what we've seen so far.

I'm not too surprised about Deep Silver dropping it tbh. Mighty no. 9 seemed to burn them pretty hard. Still wonder what's happening with the 3DS/Vita versions of that.

505 is cool. Must be using all of that Terraria money on other indies. I hope they manage to get Vita physical out in 2018 though.

Did Deep Silver pull their $4.5 million?

Well, 505 is a much better publisher, so it's a huge upgrade.

I've heard that, but I'm not sure how they are better. Is it just that they are more flexible with the developers they work with?

I thought so too, but their update said finds so I went with that.

My guess is that they were working with Deep Silver, but either Deep Silver backed out, or demanded too much control (like maybe they didn't like the 2018 delay that needed to happen). In any case IGA and co had way more bargaining power than either party thought they would so they decided to shop for a different publisher.

Damn, the gameplay showed looks really impressive.

I think the lighting was a little flat, but I'm sure it's a WIP, and it was nice to see more of the castle.

I don't think Deep Silver being the publisher of Bloodstained before was anything more than a rumor, wasn't it? DS just seemed to be publishing every KS hit for a while.

I beloved Deep Silver filed a trademark for the game, possibly before the Kickstarter was even finished. Considering they were never announced as the publisher makes it seem like maybe IGA and everyone else developing had been undecided on committing to Deep Silver, or were already shopping around for a different publisher.

I'm liking the "parallax" displayed, they're doing a good work layering it all as a 2D game despite it being 3D

Yes, they pulled that off well. Call me selfish but I wish the hallways didn't have the backer portraits. I get the impressions this is a hallway that is early on in the entrance area of the castle and we'll have to go through it a lot, and the portraits break the fourth wall. Maybe if they are really well done, and are elaborately designed paintings of each person, rather than obviously a conversion of a photo to painting then maybe it'll be fine.

Basically, if they are recognizably people outside of the game's world, it'll be immersion breaking for me, sorry if that is selfish. That's why I was hoping they'd be put in a mostly dead end room in a corner of the castle, so they could be easily avoided. Maybe the hallway they showed actually is like that, but I kind of doubt it, since they were talking about the entrance before they showed it.

Anyways, I wonder if 505 Games is the new company they brought on to help. They implied earlier that the new company that was brought on would actually contribute to the development of the game, which doesn't seem like what 505 Games is doing based on that video. Maybe they are talking about how they have now branded themselves as part of IGA's small studio that he started after leaving Konami, ArtPlay.

Most if not all of the developers are still from Inti Creates I assume, but now they seem to be working under the ArtPlay banner. Maybe this is because it'd be easier and smoother to develop if ArtPlay hired and borrowed the Inti Creates developers and brought them to whatever city ArtPlay is in and worked their, separately from whatever else Inti Creates might be working on. I'm betting they did it to make development run even more smoothly, but it could also be motivated by trying to distance the developers from Mighty No. 9. Even good developers can make bad games, especially under poor project direction, maybe they just want to avoid association with MN9 though.

Man, I used to pick up tons of niche Japanese games from 505 back in the ps2 days.

Not surprised they were interested. Game's looking great.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm sure they're talking about tech stuff I don't get, but the way it's presented just amused me.

If the footage is anything to go by (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) it appears IGA's just a very hands-on guy, wants things to look right, he made similar remarks about the running animation in an older video :p

Absolutely, this needs to be amazing.

Weirdly enough, I'm not worried at all. I'm pretty confident it'll meet our expectations.

Me too, doubly so since the last two Castlevania projects IGA worked on were Order of Ecclesia and Adventure Rebirth, both extremely strong titles. GAF hype seems relatively low though, I thought there was a good blend of people here but not many people who got super into the DS Castlevanias I guess lol

Fisty

Any pub willing to pony up for titles like Brothers and Virginia get a thumbs up from me. Good luck to Iga, I've got my eye on Bloodstained.

So all I can find is a lot of speculation about Deep Sivler being the publisher with news articles most recently reporting on DS trademarking Bloodstained. I wonder what happens to that a Trademark now?

As far as reaching a wider audience, I hope that doesn't mean drastic changes to the style or substance of what we've seen so far.

Yes, the trademark is where the rumor stems. I don't think we need to be worried about this affecting the direction of the game, it seems like the partnership with 505 Games is more about working with a publisher who is willing to make a substantial marketing push for the game, maybe Deep Silver just wasn't committed to putting forth anymore than the 4.5 million dev budget, so Bloodstained decided to move to a publisher willing to really put their all into marketing the game to as wide an audience as possible.

I mean they explicitly talk about 505 Games' marketing power, so I think it's one of the biggest factors that drew them to partner with 505 Games. It probably was something as simple as Deep Silver being cheap and not wanting to spend much on advertising/marketing, and 505 Games being willing to not just pick up Deep Silver's development tab, but also chip in a couple more million dollars in marketing budget.

I'm not worried about the game's direction changing at all, they probably are just saying they want to reach a wider audience by making sure this game is heard about by more people than those who played a Metroidvania before. I expect a much bigger E3 presence in the next two years.

Foffy

Banned
These are not mutually exclusive given that Techland, Yager, and the Sacred 3 developers imply Deep Silver is actively very harmful, and the ratings on basically all their games don't really paint a different picture.

Deep Silver fucked over Iron Front: Liberation 1944 as well.

Iron Front is a World War II milsim game made in the ArmA II engine. ArmA is known for having one of the most open modding communities on PC: the developer even approves fan remakes of their older games in their newer titles, which is unheard of for any other developer.

Deep Silver, as the publisher, set up absurd guidelines for Iron Front, that each mod for the game had to be approved. I forget if it was by the developer or the publisher, but that degree of freedom the core engine offers was actively hindered, meaning any mods to fix and improve the AI - essentials in ArmA - couldn't actually be done. This meant even trying to go for a realistic World War II theme with the Germans was a non-starter, and they were one of the two main factions in the game.

If Deep Silver was "harmful" for the examples you gave, they might be here as well. It took the community and all parties involved to negotiate on conversion mods, and that took over a year to get set up. I believe Deep Silver owns the IP, too.

looks really awesome, the characters moves a bit slow for me though. feeling really floaty, not much weight. I wonder if they plan on working on that

The E3 demo build felt perfect, regardless of how it looked to someone not playing the game. I think the 2.5D is just making it seem more different from classic Igavania physics than it actually is.

Instro

Confusing. They were already supposed to have a publisher agreement if the kickstarter hit 500k. I guess they split after the big success.

TheMoon

Never heard of them ��

Seriously?

Terraria
Sniper Elite V2, III
PayDay 2
Adr1ft
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Cooking Mama 1-4
Defense Grid 2
Draw to Life
Funky Barn(!) ;)
Guilty Gear 2
Guilty Gear XX
HAWKEN
How to Survive
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
Naughty bear
Rocket League
Virginia

etc

Oneself

505 is a good choice. Publishing a kickstarted game works pretty much like publishing any other game so I guess we and they don't have to worry about that one. It's already looking way better than the finished version of Mighty no.9

I remember the days of 505 Games being a bargain bin PS2 game publisher. They've not done too badly for themselves since then.

Back when they were 505 game street! They have a bit of a history with publishing japanese game localisations to Europe but not sure they've done one worldwide before.

Ravidrath

Our experiences with 505 Games has been fantastic on Indivisible, and I'm really excited to see them getting a title like Bloodstained.

Also hoping that means I'll get to play some builds and provide feedback along the way too.

And maybe it's time to revisit talks of that Miriam crossover we proposed a while back...

Seriously?

To be fair, 505 sort of occupies this weird space somewhere between a distributor and a publisher. Virtually all of their games are partnerships (like ours) and they put the developer forward more than themselves.

TheMoon

To be fair, 505 does sort of occupies this weird space somewhere between a distributor and a publisher. Virtually all of their games are partnerships (like ours) and they put the developer forward more than themselves.

Of course. Until a few years ago I hadn't heard of them either but they've made quite a name for themselves in recent years, I find.

This is good right?

If you read the thread you'll notice the answer is yes.

BiggNife

Part of me wonders if Deep Silver started getting cold feet on publishing Bloodstained after MN9 got so much bad press pre-release

Regardless 505 seems like a good pick. I'm glad they've kinda come into their own as a publisher for indies considering they used to release a lot of shovelware.

Ravidrath

Part of me wonders if Deep Silver started getting cold feet on publishing Bloodstained after MN9 got so much bad press pre-release

I'm not privy to the details, but my impression is that 505 just approached them with a significantly better offer, and they took it.

For games that are partially funded by the developer (like Indivisible and Bloodstained), 505's deals tend to have better backends and and benefits.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Seriously?

Terraria
Sniper Elite V2, III
PayDay 2
Adr1ft
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Cooking Mama 1-4
Defense Grid 2
Draw to Life
Funky Barn(!) ;)
Guilty Gear 2
Guilty Gear XX
HAWKEN
How to Survive
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
Naughty bear
Rocket League
Virginia

etc

Man 505 have been stepping their game up. I remember them as a C tier publisher for kinda crap titles like the Sniper Ghost Warrior games. I'm also going to say Funky Barn is a better game than Naughty Bear :p

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm so excited for this damn game.

Glad to hear they found a good publisher. The footage looked beautiful as well. Considering that the game has been delayed, I imagine it's going to be very, very polished by the time it's ready. They have, what, over a year of development time still?

Fisty

Man 505 have been stepping their game up. I remember them as a C tier publisher for kinda crap titles like the Sniper Ghost Warrior games. I'm also going to say Funky Barn is a better game than Naughty Bear :p

You mean a better game than any other game on that list? Cuz it was

Well, maybe not, but the Miiverse and Jim Sterling's coverage was probably the best launch window experience on WiiU lol

is it reasonable to expect Bloodstained will make it to the NX?

Possibly, though, I'm not sure it will hit day 1 unless 505 farms it out.

I'm not privy to the details, but my impression is that 505 just approached them with a significantly better offer, and they took it.

For games that are partially funded by the developer (like Indivisible and Bloodstained), 505's deals tend to have better backends and and benefits.

That's interesting to know. I suppose whatever gets them a better deal and us a better game is always welcome. Not to mention, if IGA pulls this all off, he might have a franchise he can work for the next gen or two and that's got to be something 505 is also interested in capitalizing on.

TheMoon

You mean a better game than any other game on that list? Cuz it was

Well, maybe not, but the Miiverse and Jim Sterling's coverage was probably the best launch window experience on WiiU lol

If only they had actual funk music in the game ...would've been such an easy way to up the wackiness level.

Possibly, though, I'm not sure it will hit day 1 unless 505 farms it out.

The Vita and Wii U versions are already being done by Armature Studio, largely by apparently porting UE4 to those platforms. I think as long as the NX has a version of UE4, then it should be assumed Bloodstained could be tweaked to target the platform.

Kholdy

Neo Member
That was on the developer, wasn't it? I don't think 505 influenced anything on that whole debacle on the console versions other than being a distributor.

Oh, I meant microtransactions on PC. And 505 had rights to Payday 2 (Overkill bought them back and immediately removed microtransactions), so I'm not so sure about who's at fault here.

But don't get me wrong, I think 505 made possible a lot of good games, I just want things to go as smooth as possible to Bloodstained (and Indivisible)!

Lime

These are not mutually exclusive given that Techland, Yager, and the Sacred 3 developers imply Deep Silver is actively very harmful, and the ratings on basically all their games don't really paint a different picture.

I'm curious, in what ways have and are Deep Silver actively harmful? My general impression is the same, but I can't remember the details in those cases.

Ravidrath

That's interesting to know. I suppose whatever gets them a better deal and us a better game is always welcome. Not to mention, if IGA pulls this all off, he might have a franchise he can work for the next gen or two and that's got to be something 505 is also interested in capitalizing on.

Japanese companies tend to get really bad deals with no backend, which is why so few studios own their own IPs over there.

So, yeah, better backend is only good, be it used for a sequel to Bloodstained, or a new IP, etc.

After a very tough day of work I come back home to this update.

I couldn't be more excited for Bloodstained. They're doing everything right so far.
Our experiences with 505 Games has been fantastic on Indivisible, and I'm really excited to see them getting a title like Bloodstained.

Also hoping that means I'll get to play some builds and provide feedback along the way too.

And maybe it's time to revisit talks of that Miriam crossover we proposed a while back...

To be fair, 505 sort of occupies this weird space somewhere between a distributor and a publisher. Virtually all of their games are partnerships (like ours) and they put the developer forward more than themselves.
Hell yes! Yes please! I'd love to see Miriam on Indivisible! Sharing the same publisher can only make things easier, right?

duckroll

Just saw this. Could have sworn that Deep Silver was announced as the original publisher but it seems it was never formally announced? I wonder what happened behind the scenes, and I wonder what this means for the funding of the game.

Just saw this. Could have sworn that Deep Silver was announced as the original publisher but it seems it was never formally announced? I wonder what happened behind the scenes, and I wonder what this means for the funding of the game.

I remember that too. Something Something they put 5.5 millions if the KS reach the 500k goal.

Edit: IGA said they had a publisher in but never said which one. People guessed Deep Silver because of the trademark.

Bloodstained feels very Metroidvania, but it's going to be missing-- I'm assuming anyway-- tropes that I personally associate with Castlevania, characters like Dracula, Medusa, Frankenstein, etc.

Those are all public domain characters, so there's no reason they couldn't appear in Bloodstained... :p

Granjinha

After games like Abzû and Brothers, apart from publishing future interesting stuff like Bloodstained/Indivisible, i can't wait to see where 505 games goes with their label/line-up :p

Top Bottom