• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1's dynamic resolution looks to be a bit broken

Saw it on twitter first:

enterthedragonpunch

‏@etdragonpunch

lol, apparently bf1's dynamic resolution feature on ps4 is broken - it'll go as low as 160x90

cvim2luumaahwau2qq7c.jpg

cvim2meukaa4shy0wrqu.jpg

cvim2mguiaaq4gv6frpa.jpg

Seems the same kind of bug exists on XB1 as well.

Lucifon

The game goes pixelated on Xbox for a split second when you hit the dashboard button and the sound stutters too. Is this some kind of PS Button related bug doing a similar thing but it doesn't kick back up?

galv

Unconfirmed Member
I get used to within a few minutes or hours and then proceed to not give a f.

Yeah, you really don't notice things like resolution or framerate - the human eye can't see past 160x90 @ 24fps anyway if you're sitting 500 feet from your 32 inch TV.
/s

*sigh* I was so very close to picking this up at launch but with all the performance issues I'll just wait a year n get the Premium version for the same price.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I actually think this is really neat as it basically seems like there is no defined lower limit or something. So bizarre to see.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think this is really neat as it basically seems like there is no defined lower limit or something. So bizarre to see.

I'm assuming that the bug involves frame-drops due to CPU bottleneck. Usually dropping resolution improves GPU performance a lot, but has zero to no performance gain on the CPU. So what BF1 is likely doing is hitting a point where the CPU can't hit the desired framerate and dropping the resolution in an attempt to reach the performance target given.

I personally wouldn't want the fix to simply be a lower limit on resolution, since it would drop to the low resolution and still not increase the framerate. If and when a fix comes in, I'd like it to be dependent not on a limit that does absolutely nothing anyway (CPU bound scenarios) but to be dependent on if there is going to be a gain in framerate by dynamically dropping the resolution. It's an interesting scenario to say the least.

hesido

DICE has the most brilliant programmers in the industry yet mistakes can be made :) Probably this is some debug code that doesn't do Math.max(900, suggested_res).

But I can't get over the fact that they once broke the winning animation in BFBC2, which showed the wrong side winning animation some 60% of the time, and never fixed it. Was really annoying.

Ducktail

Yeah, you really don't notice things like resolution or framerate - the human eye can't see past 160x90 @ 24fps anyway if you're sitting 500 feet from your 32 inch TV.
/s

Do you work for IGN? I love how tech savvy you guys are!

Top Bottom