• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Networking troubles -- come in here to complain or help

gururoji

OK, I've finagled quite a bit with my router and wi-fi setup, and thanks to some tips in a different thread (wish I could find it again), I got my Wii to connect to the network. However, it often stops dead in the middle of downloading things...here's what happened to me:

1) Attempt to update software: cruised through 1st update, 2nd update gets to roughly 66% and hangs.

2) Powered off and tried again: made it through the updates.

3) Attempt to connect to Wii Shop: hangs while trying to link my Nintendo User ID.

4) Powered off and tried again: made it through. Successfully downloaded an NES game.

5) Tried out NES game, came back and the Wii Shop froze while loading. Powered off, tried again, got into the store. Attempt to download Mario 64 freezes 33% in.

6) 2 more attempts to download Mario 64: both times freezes 33% in.

Edit: 7) Attempted update in order to allow News channel. Hangs during Testing Connection, used the HOME button to try to back out to the Wii menu and system freezes on a black screen.

Does anyone have tips? My router is kind of crappy (D-Link DI624), but this is ridiculous. I've turned off "Super G", changed the Wireless channel to 1, gave my wii a static IP, and put it in a DMZ outside the firewall, all of which were suggested either by the Wii manual or by people on GAF...

I'm also interested in hearing anyone else's networking complaints. I've enjoyed the Wii so far, but this is infuriating, and is beginning to overshadow the fun...

ant1532

Banned
Give this a go
OK. I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

I have a linksys WRT54G router and I had the same problem. Slow speeds or failing to connect the internet test.

To fix:

Go to linksys settings on your computer
192.168.1.1 (type that in your URL address)

Then go to wireless

Then under Wireless Channel:

Choose channel 1 or 11

(I chose 1)

Viola!! And fixed

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its the most obvious thing to do and you've probably done it already but have you tried Power Cycling your Router? (Unplugging it for 20 Seconds and then Reconnecting it)

Edit:

So the Wireless Channels effect the Wii's Wifi? Thats pretty corny :<. Being restricted to one Channel isn't good.

fernoca

ant1532 said:
Give this a go

Nice..worked for me too!
Both updates took over over an hour yesterday to download..and I coudln't even enter to the store..

Now I can..I'm downloading Super Mario 64 now!! :)

Argyle

Posted this in the official Wii thread but got no response, so maybe it'll get more attention here. :)

I'm also having trouble getting online with my Wii.

Here's what I have:

Linksys WRT54G router flashed with DD-WRT v23 SP1
WPA-TKIP security enabled
SSID being broadcast, DHCP enabled, no MAC filtering or anything
Rebooting the router didn't help.

First thing I did was set up the Wii with my router settings. It got online and said it needed to update, then it downloaded and installed the update (took several minutes)...

Console rebooted, but now I can't seem to get online at all. When I try to connect to the Wii store and get the required update, it errors out with "There is a problem with the WiiConnect24 service. Error code 110213"

Putting the code into Nintendo's customer service site, it just says "please call our 800 number" but of course no one is available right now. Did anyone else have this problem, and if so, did you get it resolved?

jko

mine didn't working until i moved my wireless router to a wider location, i had had it in a room next to mine, and my Wii was in the living room.

once i did that i accessed the internet just fine :)

dogbowl

I've been trying to update all day.
Finally got the first update to work .. rebooted and the system now says version 2.0u.

I'm updateding again, but this one seems to be going even slower.

My only guess is that Nintendo's servers are horribly overloaded right now.

Vicious

Changing the channel worked for me. I was getting error messages when running the connection test, then it would get about 10-50% done on the first update and fail. Read something about changing it from channel 6 and it worked great.

Everything updated in an instant and I've had no trouble since.

Problem:

I purchased the Wii usb wireless, and when I run the access point check on my Wii, it finds the machine; however, I always fail the connection test. I get the Error code: 51332 on the screen.

I've checked my taskbar, and the icons says,

Wireless Network Connection
Speed: 54.0 Mbps
Signal Strength: No Signal

I thought I could plug this sucker to my PC and get rollings, but I'm having problems. Help a guy out, please. How do I fix this?

dogbowl

Just got my second update to work.

I was stuck for the longest time. Finaly I gave up. So I unplugged my router and rebooted it. My Wii was still stuck at the 'updating' screen, so I killed the power to it and rebooted it as well.

After that, it came immediatley online and the second update downloaded pretty quickly. I think what did the trick was rebooting my router (which might have had the same effect as people settiing their wireless to channel 1)

Anyway, thats what did it for me....

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
NintendosBooger said:
Problem:

I purchased the Wii usb wireless, and when I run the access point check on my Wii, it finds the machine; however, I always fail the connection test. I get the Error code: 51332 on the screen.

I've checked my taskbar, and the icons says,

I thought I could plug this sucker to my PC and get rollings, but I'm having problems. Help a guy out, please. How do I fix this?

how far away is your computer from your wii?

in general, people should change their channel from 6 to anything else. even if you dont have a wii.

empanada

quadriplegicjon said:
how far away is your computer from your wii?

in general, people should change their channel from 6 to anything else. even if you dont have a wii.
Yeah. If you have a laptop or computer with wireless card, scan your area for wifi routers and check which channel they use. Then set your router to whatever channel is not being used.

Also, try to see the signal strength to where your Wii is located to make sure its getting a good signal.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I have a Belkin Wireless G router and it won't even let me pass the testing phase.

I can find my SSID broadcast, pick it, enter the WEP key in for it then it gives me either Error code 51330 or 51331. My DS and PSP can connect flawlessly.

I even tried switching signal channels and also disabling every kind of security possible same thing.

Damn you Nintendo!

gururoji

Thanks for the tips, all--especially Firestorm, I made it from the Nintendo forums over to the nintendowifi.com router setup page, which is a pretty helpful page...

I changed from channel 1 to channel 11, and it looked like it helped immensly--the shop responded quicker, and when I went to download Mario 64, it cruised through 2/3rds of it extremely quickly...but still stopped. Is there anything that anyone can think of that would cause it to keep crapping out?

gururoji

Sorry for double post, but it seems like I finally got it going...the last thing I did was adding my Wii's static IP to the virtual server list...but I also put it back in the DMZ for the first time since switching to Channel 11. Father_Mike, what do your settings look like at this point? And which version of the DI-624 do you have (A1, B2, C3)?

is anyone using the apple airport extreme as a router for Wii?
DS is not working with it but I hope that it wouldn't be a problem with Wii...

TFIFF

Banned
gururoji said:
Sorry for double post, but it seems like I finally got it going...the last thing I did was adding my Wii's static IP to the virtual server list...but I also put it back in the DMZ for the first time since switching to Channel 11. Father_Mike, what do your settings look like at this point? And which version of the DI-624 do you have (A1, B2, C3)?

How did you get your Wii's static IP to add? I have the same router as you with the same stupid problems. (Also, does turning off Super G and chaning to mode 11 do anything to ruin your wireless speed?)

TFIFF

Banned
Sorry for the double post but this seems to be a common problem amongst me and my Wii owning friends-

Whenever you do anything online related on the Wii (such as going on the shopping channel) and also whenever you turn it off (into sleep mode), it will make my router (D-Link) cycle my computer's connection off and on. This is really annoying, and while it isn't so much of a problem now since not much Wii stuff is online...I can see it becoming worse in the future. Has anyone else addressed this?

Meier

I didnt read the thread, but I changed my Wireless channel to 1 (from 5) as someone mentioned in another thread and then it worked like a charm. Might be a coincidence, but it seems to be helping a lot of people.

Dimmuxx said:
Anyone with a D-Link dgl-4300 tried it with Wii yet?
that's what i have, so i'm interested to hear how that works out aswell. it works fine with my DSs so i'm not expecting problems.

blahness

Argyle said:
Posted this in the official Wii thread but got no response, so maybe it'll get more attention here. :)

I'm also having trouble getting online with my Wii.

Here's what I have:

Linksys WRT54G router flashed with DD-WRT v23 SP1
WPA-TKIP security enabled
SSID being broadcast, DHCP enabled, no MAC filtering or anything
Rebooting the router didn't help.

First thing I did was set up the Wii with my router settings. It got online and said it needed to update, then it downloaded and installed the update (took several minutes)...

Console rebooted, but now I can't seem to get online at all. When I try to connect to the Wii store and get the required update, it errors out with "There is a problem with the WiiConnect24 service. Error code 110213"

Putting the code into Nintendo's customer service site, it just says "please call our 800 number" but of course no one is available right now. Did anyone else have this problem, and if so, did you get it resolved?
i am having the same exact problem but with a different router though i havent tried putting it in a dmz or changing the channel to 1

Sean

Banned
Error code 51330 for me every single time. It says to visit support.nintendo.com too but that URL doesn't work.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT v23 firmware. I picked my ssid from the list, entered the WEP key and it fails to pass the connection test.

Thanks, guys. Worked like a charm.

Changed it from Channel 6 to Channel 1 and it worked, plus, I made sure to remove any objects that were set in between my Wii and the Wireless USB piece.

Sean

Banned
I got it working...

Changed channel from 9 to 11 and changed it from 802.11g to the "Mixed" option and it worked since then.

Mine works decently (but pretty slow) but I haven't tried the channel fix yet. Fact that you may have to do that for good speed even though my 360/PS3 wireless works fine already tells me that the Wii may have some really shitty and weak Wi-fi built in.

Now that I'm connected, how do I interact with other people. I've accessed Wii, and whenever I click on "Friends," I get a message stating that I didn't have any and needed to be on some Wii Message Board.

Macht

gururoji said:
3) Attempt to connect to Wii Shop: hangs while trying to link my Nintendo User ID.

Ugh, this is where I'm stuck. I've tried not linking as well and it doesn't get into the shop. All activity seems to die when it gets to Connecting Please Wait screen. I just tried Channel 1 and 11 on my router and it didn't help. I've let it sit there for 20minutes and it still didn't go through. Only thing I can do then is hold the power button down to turn it off.

The internet test works and I've sent messages to people(although it seems really, really delayed). I just can't see to get into the store. I'm using the AirPort Base Station (Dual Ethernet), are there any other ideas to try? This router works fine on my psp/360/ds and seems to work on the wii..until I try to get into the store :/

Argyle

Anyone know the deal with Nintendo customer service? I just started calling them this morning and I get a recorded message that basically says "all our representatives are busy, here are the automated options, if you still need to talk to someone, too bad, try again later."

Do they have two different phone trees, maybe? Is it worth it to keep calling to try to get the other one?

Edit: They do have two phone trees, keep calling, and listen carefully to the opening greeting to determine which one you have connected to.

Argyle

blahness said:
i am having the same exact problem but with a different router though i havent tried putting it in a dmz or changing the channel to 1

OK, so I got through to Nintendo Customer Service, they were very helpful...

He seemed surprised, because most error codes are only 5 digits. He looked it up and he said "this is a system error with your console, it needs to be replaced." So it looks like they will be sending me a new one and I just need to send the old one back in the box the new one comes in.

Fortunately I can still play DVD-based games on mine until the new one shows up. But you should call Nintendo to have your system replaced...

maynerd

Banned
Yo guys just a heads up. The DS is not WPA compatible so if you want to use your DS and Wii wirelessly you need to use WEP.

nintendo said:
The only security setting that is compatible with the Nintendo DS is WEP (Wireless Encryption Privacy). If your router has WPA or any other setting selected, you will need to change it to WEP, or remove security,

Triz

my error needs to be handled by Nintendo and I cant get through on the phone.....

WiiConnect24 issues!!!!!!!

Beergut

If you have the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector and are getting Error Code 51040 when you try to connect with the Wii...

...go to Nintendo's website and download the updated (1.04) software for the USB connector.

That worked for me.

yodandy

Argyle said:
OK, so I got through to Nintendo Customer Service, they were very helpful...

He seemed surprised, because most error codes are only 5 digits. He looked it up and he said "this is a system error with your console, it needs to be replaced." So it looks like they will be sending me a new one and I just need to send the old one back in the box the new one comes in.

Fortunately I can still play DVD-based games on mine until the new one shows up. But you should call Nintendo to have your system replaced...

Are you kidding me?

110213 right?

Im getting the same one...

I've been trying to connect via my iMac with Airport Internet Sharing on. The Wii finds the iMac, but then I get various errors when trying to connect. Anyone successfully do it this way?

mogmogwu

I got the error code "52230" during the connection test everytime I tried.

Here is what nintendo website said:

"This error can be caused by either an extremely slow connection (i.e. satellite provider or dial-up) or because a firewall is blocking the connection to the Internet."

But I have no problem using my pc, mac, nds, psp to go online!!!!

Any suggestion what I should do ?

Thanks.

Triz

yodandy said:
Are you kidding me?

110213 right?

Thats the error code I got...And Nintendo is telling me thats a faulty system. I have a new one coming from them now.

Go figure, of all 3 of the systems my Nintendo is the one that breaks :lol . First time for everything I guess.

MutFox

Banned
I'm using WPA-AES.
WPA2-AES would not work for me for some reason.
Has anyone else tried WPA2-AES and got it working?

BTW, I have a D-Link 784 TriBand Router, supposedly it's highly recommended by Nintendo.

MutFox

Banned
yodandy said:
Are you kidding me?

110213 right?

I read somewhere that the 110213 error is a firmware error.
And that people have gotten past it by trying to update over and over.
In some cases it starts working.
(Just incase some of you get the error.)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
argh I have the

Linksys WRT54GX-v2
Firmware Version: 2.00.15

^anyone got this piece of garbage working with a DS? It's got a 2 star rating on nintendos site, I get 52000 or the one close to that that ends in a 3 that says 'was able to connect, unable to get IP address'

I'm using no security except mac filtering, have tried turning the firewall settings in the router off completely as well, was on channel 1, switched it to channel 11, is in mixed mode.

God damnit I can see this problem being more annoying with the Wii.

MutFox

Banned
catfish said:
argh I have the

Linksys WRT54GX-v2
Firmware Version: 2.00.15

^anyone got this piece of garbage working with a DS? It's got a 2 star rating on nintendos site, I get 52000 or the one close to that that ends in a 3 that says 'was able to connect, unable to get IP address'

I'm using no security except mac filtering, have tried turning the firewall settings in the router off completely as well, was on channel 1, switched it to channel 11, is in mixed mode.

God damnit I can see this problem being more annoying with the Wii.

There's one option I had to turn on with my D-Link,
It was the "WMM Function."
Also, make sure you disable any SPEEDBOOSTER stuff on the linksys, if that applies to your model, it might help.

The channel switch did improve the speed of connecting to the store for me, the Wii Wi-fi might be more susceptible to interference than other Wi-fi devices because all my other devices had worked find without a channel switch.

Top Bottom