• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Networking troubles -- come in here to complain or help

Alcibiades

Can you use the DS wi-fi adaptor?

Are they the same?

Where do they sell official Nintendo USB wi-fi adaptors? Can't seem to find any online retailer that has them?

ChanHuk

Banned
For anyone with error 110213, you have a broken Wii like me. Nintendo is sending me out a new one but I dunno when thats gonna happen....oh well it still plays games.

MutFox

Banned
Is the Wii 802.11b or 802.11g??
Because if the Wii is 802.11g,
then using a USB WiFi Adapter will actually slow you down by 5x, since it uses 802.11b.

I looked for the speed, but all I saw in the manual was "uses 802.11 compliant devices"
or something like that.

ChanHuk said:
For anyone with error 110213, you have a broken Wii like me. Nintendo is sending me out a new one but I dunno when thats gonna happen....oh well it still plays games.

Sucks if you're importing though.
I hope Nintendo will eventually fix that update.

yodandy

ChanHuk said:

:(

Im gonna wait it out, heres hoping its temporary and well get an update to fix it...somehow...meh

empanada

MutFox said:
then using a USB WiFi Adapter will actually slow you down by 5x, since it uses 802.11b.

I looked for the speed, but all I saw in the manual was "uses 802.11 compliant devices"
or something like that.
Wii is 802.11g

TFIFF

Banned
The games and interface are great and all...but the Wii is really pissing me off. I am positive mine doesn't stay connected 24/7, as I don't receive message board posts from other (though other people can receive ones that I send). Also, whenever the Wii wants to do something online related, it cycles my router and makes my computer drop connection. So for example, if I go to the Wii Shop channel it will disconnect my computer while loading. Also, whenever I power off the Wii (orange light), it will cycle my connection. Presumably this would be because its trying to go into some online mode to receive messages/light up while its off, but that isn't the case since I never get anything.

1- How can I stay connected 24/7
2- Does anyone else have the problem of the Wii cycling your connection on your computer
3- Why can't I receive messages, but other people get mine fine?

Edit: Now I'm positive mine doesn't stay online all the time, because I had no messages waiting, none while I was playing Zelda, then I did something online related (sent someone my Mii) and a flux of 5 messages came in a minute later. The thing cycling my router every time I turn it off or on is annoying at worst, but not having WiiConnect 24 really stay connected is actually ruining the functionality. Anyone with the same router have some advice?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Drensch said:
Spe3d, try dropping all security and connect. Then build it back up. Worked for me and my belkin.

Yeah I tried taking all WEP and speed boosters off so it was completely open connection and it still didn't do it. DS and PSP both connected fine and very quickly in that open state. However, after hearing all this stuff about faulty firmware updates I may not want to as of yet anyway :-|

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I finally got my Wii today (yay for knowing people who work at retail) but anyway, now I'm having a hell of a time getting it connected. After reading through the thread, I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have a Linksys router, and I know it works at least for my DS. I've tried setting it to different channels, but to no success. I just keep getting a 51330 error, saying that it can't connect to the internet (but not necessarily unable to connect to the router?).

Xavien

MutFox said:

or something like that.

Wii is 802.11g
Nintendo USB Wifi is 802.11b and 802.11g

There is no slowdown if you use the Official Nintendo USB Wifi connector.

EDIT: Here's what i did to get my Wii to connect everytime on my Belkin F5D7633 router:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5180607#post5180607

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I guess that broadcasting ssid is working at the moment, but I wish that didn't have to be the solution.

Xavien

DarthWoo said:
I guess that broadcasting ssid is working at the moment, but I wish that didn't have to be the solution.

True, but if you use MAC Filtering and WPA you wont have to worry about the SSID being broadcast.

I was having connection problems with both Wii Shop (rarely connected) and the browser (didn't connect), so here's what I did to get my Dlink WBR2310 working correctly:

Me said:
OK, so I went and changed the router channel to 11 (I have the Dlink WBR-2310 router if anyone wants to know), deleted all of the wireless settings on the system, turned the Wii off, turned it back on, entered the access point information manually, and I'm good to go. I can connect to the Shop and Browser channels, and much quicker than before.
Not sure if it will help anyone, but if you have the same type of router it may.

Ranger X

The only bug i had so far was a connection error while entering or exiting a channel.
There seem to be a bug that occurs when you enter a channel exactly at the same time your Wii connect to the internet.
You're unlucky if you fall on this but it happened 2-3 times for me since launch.

I did not want to start a new thread...

I'm trying the impossible, I had a "Nintendo Wi-fi USB Connector" for my DS
and I had it connected on my old apple Powerbook using virtual PC with Windows XP
it was such a complex way to get my DS lite online for gaming.

Now I'm hoping to get the Wii online using the same set up but this time I am on a slower connection not my high speed cable

its working! :D

but all the Wii wants to do is update firmware... the little blue bar is inching along very very slowly

how long does this take? could it take an hour?

I can't wait to see the other Wii Channels like News and Weather :D

Maybe I can finally get my Wii Friend's Code

I know my connection is slow as hell, but the wireless account I have only allows me to log one user at a time so going through my laptop is a nice way of using two things under one user

Saoh

guess I can post it here. I´m having some problems with my Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter!! :(

I got Nintendo´s USB Wi-Fi adapter and it used to work perfectly... but now, everytime I login to my XP session the wi-fi tool doesn´t launch automatically (IIRC it used to). I actually have to unplug/plug the USB to make it run.

I uninstalled everything and downloaded the latest software (1.04) from Nintendo´s site and delete the registry´s from my PC (I used CCleaner). I ran the Setup again and everything was going fine, I got the "sharing internet connection" screen and after a while a new window came up and said "Error. please insert the USB device in a USB port".

what the hell? it´s like it doesn´t recognize the device anymore. HELP!

what kind of computer you have?

I'm afraid to update the software since I don't have USB 2.0 on my laptop so it always gives me a warning message that it would work better if I plugged it to USB 2.0

damn this update is taking so long an hour has passed now

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Eteric Rice said:
Do you guys know if the Wii LAN thing is available in stores yet?

Yes, but it's not the official one. I got the official and it's great. I've had no problems at all.

chase

I use the DS wifi thingy and my Wii seems to connect or not at random. It seems to not connect about 2/3 of the time. The internet works fine on my PC all the time and I don't ever go around changing settings. Seeing as it is truly random, it doesn't seem to be a problem at my end.

Congrats, Nintendo, on successfully creating an online service that is not only underwhelming in every way, but that is also broken. That takes a certain kind of effort.

Saoh

an hour updating is not normal.

my Wii updates very fast (the last time it did, Ver. 2.0U), the longest it took was like 30mins with one yellow bar.

random is right its not showing a connection at all right now but every 10 minutes or so it flickers on to show the Wii connected again only to say no connected users a moment later... so maybe this update is fugged

Saoh said:
an hour updating is not normal.

my Wii updates very fast (the last time it did, Ver. 2.0U), the longest it took was like 30mins with one yellow bar.

well this is my first update as far as I understand, you had a yellow bar? mine is blue

still spinning and beeping but no connection is shown
why is the name of my Wii scrambled in japanese in the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Registration Tool on the PC?

:( damn it I was so hyped that this was going to work without a pain

Saoh

I meant a yellow wi-fi signal bar. yeah, the first update takes a long time, but not 1 hour o_O. try moving your Wii closer to your PC, or check if there´s any interfering.

the name thing is very common, mine shows up like this (top console):
nusb.jpg

but, as far as i know, that is not a problem. doesnt mess with the connection.

i really need help with my problem, i sent a mail to Nintendo but nothing yet ;_;

uh so what do I do with the Wii? its stuck on updating without a connection

should I reset or turn it off like it warns not to?

I'm updating the software for the USB thingy 1.04 I guess

Xavien

Xavien said:
Wii is 802.11g
Nintendo USB Wifi is 802.11b and 802.11g

There is no slowdown if you use the Official Nintendo USB Wifi connector.

EDIT: Here's what i did to get my Wii to connect everytime on my Belkin F5D7633 router:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5180607#post5180607

BTW big update from myself.

I basically simplified how i get the Wii to connect. I put in a manual IP address and a manual DNS (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 should work if you cant remember your DNS ip addresses), but instead of using DMZ (which basically stopped any other port from being open on non-DMZ'd computers due to a bug on my router) i found that opening the following ports on your router for the Wii's IP number (the one you setup in the Wii Configuration for Wireless connection) worked a treat:

open the following ports:

ports 28900-30000 on both TCP and UDP
port 448 on both TCP and UDP

Those are the ports that the Wiiconnect24 and Wii Shop services use. Since i have done that, i connect everytime for the Wii Shop and my Wiiconnect24 auto-updates always work (forecast and news channels) regardless of my wifi settings.

Oh and also, if you are using the USB Wifi Connector, if you open those ports on your non-wireless router for your computer (or on your software firewall if you just have a normal modem) it should have the same effect.

okay so my usb thing no longer works but it seems turning the Wii off did not hurt it
and the update version I have now is 2.0U

now here is a question, this building has a paid wireless hotspot service
the kind when you launch your browser it takes you to a sign in page to login a username and password

Start Internet explorer or your browser, you will see the Spot On login screen.
Enter your username.
Enter your password.
Click submit.
Once your account is validated, you will be connected to the Internet.

So with the Wii I can't really use this option

maybe I can use MAC authentication???

---

How do I log in automatically?

Spot on offers account holders to opportunity activate MAC authentication which allows you to be logged in continuously for a period of up to 30 days. When you turn on your computer, you will already be logged onto the Internet. Go to “My Account” to set up MAC authentication.

MrOctober

Banned
I have Comcast and a NetGear router that Nintendo specifically says on their homepage doesn't work with the Wii but when i took it out of the box on day one it hooked up wirelessly to the internet with no problems. I downloaded some games lightning fast and i got the internet and weather channels fine. I even got the first update wirelessly. But since then (now i don't know if it's because of the update or if it's because of something else entirely) the Wii will not connect at all. No updates no weather channel nothing. I got another update when i got SSX Blur so I don't know what to do. I changed the router channel to 1 (it was on 11) but that didn't do anything so i put it back to 11.

I called Comcast but they won't help with problems outside of their service and the guy i talked couldn't find anyone who knew if they were actually working with Nintendo like Nintendo's website says they are. Is this an ISP problem or is it possible to get it working again.

I mean it's one thing to have it never work, then I'd be convinced it just doesn't work, but having it work for so long and then just shit out sucks.

Also the error code my Wii gives me is 52230 which used to tell me on support.nintendo.com means i'm getting interference but the error code look up doesn't work anymore. But i took out the only portable phone i have in the room and the computer i use down here has no trouble at all getting the signal, ever.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long ass post.

Drensch

I'd restart the router, and try reconfiguring-as if you just bought the wii.

And make sure that in your wii online settings that the netgear router is the selected connection. Updates will reset the connection to the default.

MrOctober,

52230 would be caused by your firewall (had this error code myself). Based on only the Netgear CG814WG being listed on Nintendo's website I'll assume that's the one you have.

Did you get this one from Comcast or did you buy it on your own? If it's not through Comcast you should be able to log into your router, go to services and disable the firewall. You may have to power cycle your router after this if you still get the same error code.

If Comcast gave you this you may be out of luck as I don't think you can adjust the firewall with the version they're sending out.

I had a similar issue with the Linksys WCG200 and was able to get it working.

I've been using the USB wifi connector, and it has usually worked fine... but since last night, I've been unable to go online. All the connection tests I've done have been successful, but when I try to access a channel that utilizes online, I get error code 51340. wtf? I don't get it. <_> Maybe I should just buy a wireless router.

btw, it's probably worth noting that I lost the driver CD for the USB connector, so apparently I can't download the newest firmware/software/whatever for it... unless there's some way to download the content of the CD, or if it's possible to update the software without uninstalling everything related to the dongle first.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Smiles and Cries said:
So with the Wii I can't really use this option

Do what I did for situations like these... D-Link has a "travel router" than can take an incoming WiFi signal and broadcast out a seperate WiFi signal (WiFi to WiFi, instead of Wired to Wifi). Use that, hook up to the building WiFi with the router, then switch the router to WiFi mode and connect the Wii to it. The router itself stays logged in to the network and easily passes everything through.

Top Bottom