• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Rats |OT| Set in the world of 2015's finest RPG

Arulan

header.jpg

Platform: PC
Developer: Iron Tower Studios
Buy from: Steam, GOG
Price: $8.99! (Currently $8.09 with the promotion)

About this Game

Dungeon Rats is a turn-based, party-based RPG set in the Age of Decadence world and focused on squad level tactical combat. If fighting your way out of a prison mine - and frequently dying in the attempt - is your idea of a good time, you've come to the right place.

Starting out as a new prisoner at the bottom of the gangs-ruled prison hierarchy, and of the prison itself, you must fight to survive and develop your combat skills, acquiring better weapons and equipment as you go. Recruit allies to your struggle or carry on as a lone wolf, and kill anyone foolish enough to stand in your way.

Features

• Tactical combat system, including standard attacks, aimed attacks targeting specific body parts, and per-weapon special attacks such as Whirlwind and Impale.
  • Detailed crafting and alchemy systems: forge your own weapons, brew potions and poisons, experiment with Liquid Fire and Black Powder.
  • 8 weapon types: Daggers, Swords, Axes, Hammers, Spears, Bows, Crossbows, and Throwing Weapons, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
  • Fully customizable main character, as well as 10 possible companions, not all of them human (maximum party size is 4).
  • 50 challenging fights and 4 different endings

Screenshots

FAQ

Q: 2015's finest RPG? What ever could you mean?

A: Why The Age of Decadence of course! One of the finest example of narrative-structure, reactivity, and dialogue. You should play it.

Q: Is this the sequel to The Age of Decadence?

A: No. A lot of players really enjoyed The Age of Decadence's combat system, and therefore in the meantime before their next big project, they decided to create a combat-focused dungeon-crawler.

Q: I heard The Age of Decadence was hard. Will I die a lot?

A: Murderous Psychopath, the only difficulty setting in The Age of Decadence, and the one where both players and NPCs play by the same rules is still in here, but there are two easier options available this time.

Q: I played The Age of Decadence, what's new?

A:

• Party-based - the most frequently requested feature.
  • Flanking and other strategic bonuses. Positioning matters a lot.
  • Manual placement of your characters before a fight.
  • Charisma determines the number and quality of your party members.
  • Skill points are split between the party members: more people means fewer skills points per person and slower level ups.
  • New weapons, armor, and creatures.
  • 3 difficulty levels: Nice Guy, Tough Bastard, Murderous Psychopath

Arulan

It's being released today?
I never expected it to come out that fast,after AoD took them over a decade to develop

It's already out!

I have to imagine that once The Age of Decadence was finished, using the engine and tools to make something like this would be significantly easier.

Vince (ITS)

Neo Member
It's already out!

I have to imagine that once The Age of Decadence was finished, using the engine and tools to make something like this would be significantly easier.
Much, much easier. Plus we worked part-time on AoD, which is why it took so long. Now we're working full-time, so the next full-scale RPG won't take as long either.

Much, much easier. Plus we worked part-time on AoD, which is why it took so long. Now we're working full-time, so the next full-scale RPG won't take as long either.
Can't wait to see what that sci-fi RPG looks like

Diving into this tonight. At first I wasn't into AoD's combat, but then I read some impressions and comments here and realized that the combat was actually really deep and logical
AoD actually has pretty cool combat underneath that awkward-ass UI, so I'm excited for this, too.

It was amazing the moment I realized I could hack my way through much tougher battles than I thought with my squishy assassin by lacerating people's hands to lower their to-hit chance. Doing that, crowd controlling with nets, and falling back to choke points was a pretty good time for a game with a reputation for everything but the fighting parts.

Volodja

Played a bit of it and like I said in the other thread, found it much more accessible than AoD was combat wise.

I am sure that later on it's gonna become hard as nails.

prudislav

wow that was faster than expected , especially when AoD was ind evelopment fo so many years

... any review so far?? or at least some impressions?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
First patch is out, notes:

Patch Notes said:
Improvements

- Improved dialogue window visuals.
- Improved item interaction flow and visuals.
- Added some pickaxes in later levels.
- Added unique loading screens for levels.

Changes

- Each point invested in intelligence grants 5 SP at character creation.
- Tweaks to Yngvar skills and Ardomir stats (new game only or before meeting them).
- Tweaked some loot in central camp and crystal caves (new game only or before entering the areas for the first time).

Fixes

- Fixed issue with first fight achievement not triggering under certain circumstances.
- Fixed issue with collisions on the guards fort first fight.
- Fixed some spawn points and facing when returning to previously visited areas.
- Fixed final fight music not starting if you loaded a combat savegame.

Programming fixes and improvements:

- Improved the inventory paperdoll view for non-human party members;
- Fixed dead party members sometimes reappearing in Ironman mode;
- Fixed potion usage for non-human characters;
- Improved interface and usage for poison and whetstone;
- Fixed map error when followers walk near the map edge;
- Fixed ex-followers sometimes crashing the game when brought from a different location;
- Fixing healing screen's infinite rations bug;
- Fixed repair screen sometimes using up required materials and not fixing an item;
- Fixed characters sometimes floating in the air after leaving your party;
- Fixed drag-n-drop sharpening not taking account party's max crafting skill level.

Running with hammer guy and my bow character. Have enough CH for another party member, but saving the slot (and sp) for someone worth a damn. Everything was going pretty well until i hit Reinald.

God fucking damn it. That fight has killed me 10+ times. Tried taking the alchemist first. Failed. Tried killing Reinald first. Failed. Tried going back, clearing the scorpion section, then using the forge hobo to craft upgraded scorpion armor, a better iron hammer and bow. Still failed.

Realized i could interact with the door, went "A-HA!", closed it. Saw dudes open the god damned thing even when hammerbro was sitting in front of it.

Sigh.

Combat up to this point had been mostly fine, wot with both characters having high dodge and copious usage of arm/leg shots.

Arulan

Sneak peek at the next patch via RPG Codex:

- You can select characters on the placement phase via clicking on the combat queue.
- Crafting screen now separates schematics in weapon type, and armor material, plus they are ordered alphabetically.
- You can see the THC, CS and ADC on area of effect attacks.
- You can now select your character facing during combat for 1 AP.

- Base block is 25 (from 15).
- Increased chance to fully block attacks.
- Increased regular shields hardness.
- Increased crude shields vsRanged.
- Shields vsRanged no longer added when dodging (it's taken into account if block + vsRanged is higher than dodge).
- Increased base critical rating to 15 per CS point.
- Tweaked berserk potion progression (Max is 40/10 from 50/5).
- Doubled antidote effect.
- Made acid vial stronger and available earlier. Now all of them do HP damage. Reduced throwing range. Increased AP.
- Splash Acid adds AoE similar to bombs.

Top Bottom