• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES mini has USB data

MooMilk2929

LeHaM said:
Possible hacks maybe on the USB side of things, or even a game update utill from Nintendo in the works??

nesminiUSB1_zpst9bsyjfw.jpg

Holding reset and plugging in the console (with power off) causes a different thing..

nesminiUSB2_zpspkelk5qu.jpg

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/nes-mini-has-usb-data.64136/#post-918974

Nintendo is leaving the door open for firmware updates. This could be custom or official. So perhaps ROM injection isn't a dream.

The USB port is normally used to power the system but apparently it can be used for data transfer as well.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm sorry what? How does it have "USB Data" without a USB port? How was this connected to a PC? I feel I'm missing a lot of context here

Geedorah

How would you do it, though?

Someone/ some group could develop a custom firmware - this could allow all sorts of fun and interesting possibilities with the hardware.

Or is this more about the physical issue like bomblord1 states:
I'm sorry what? How does it have "USB Data" without a USB port? How was this connected to a PC? I feel I'm missing a lot of context here

'Cause if that is the problem, I have no idea - I first read the title as "NES Classic has miniUSB". I just figured there was a USB port on the board, even if not available through the case.

modsbox

This is pretty interesting. I have the AVS NES from retrousb and it actually works as people are suggesting the nes classic could-- you plug it into USB for power to use it, but then to update the firmware you plug the same USB into a computer and use a special app to update it.

Mirk

While I would love for Nintendo to do updates or addons. This is most likely for repair and loading the software during assembly.

Ok looked on the web for more infos:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nes-classic-edition-will-be-difficult-to-hack-teardown-reveals/

Notably, the NES Classic Edition stores its games and emulation software on a flash memory chip, making it difficult if not impossible to mod the system without physically cracking it open and breaking warranty in the process.

“Unless you want to desolder flash memory from the motherboard,” Brown said, “it looks like it’s impossible to add new games to NES Classic.”

“The NES mini will not be much fun to hack I’m afraid,” Twitter user ArcadeTV adds. “The 4GBit Flash has an OTP-Area with security features that are not in the Datasheet.”

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Isn't that like...more than twice the size of every NES game?

Just traditional ROMs, yes. However we don;t know the size of the emulator, the size of the OS or size of all the contained media. It might be very full.

But that might be relevant, if the OS is designed to have just these 30 games, expanding them might be impossible anyways without writing new fw.

That is assuming there is some available entrypoint to get past the security to allow writing in some way, and I can't fathom where that would be on a system not designed to ever have anything written to it aside from save data.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
More like 100x. Nes games were like 256kb.

I think I might have read this wrong lol I bet you could almost fit every nes game in 256mb.

NES Library
237 Mb
SNES Library
1.7 Gb
N64 Library
5.5 Gb
GB/GBC Library
568 Mb
GBA Library
8.4 Gb
NDS Library
83.2 Gb
Gamecube Library
867 Gb
Wii Library
6.56 Tb

jett

D-Member
Would be funny if someone out there hacks an SNES emulator+roms into it before Nintendo gets the chance to release a SNES mini.

Joeku

More like 100x. Nes games were like 256kb.

I think I might have read this wrong lol I bet you could almost fit every nes game in 256mb.

Oh lord no, I didn't mean individually, haha. I meant the entire library.

Fake edit: What that user above me posted.

Spider-Vice

Neo Member
I wonder if it's some kind of debug thing they left behind and forgot to disable. Whatever it is, it's good news for custom firmware.

Mirk

Would be funny if someone out there hacks an SNES emulator+roms into it before Nintendo gets the chance to release a SNES mini.

Looking at the chipset used. If it is indeed hacked it shouldn't have much trouble running snes. It about the same chip in the raspberry pi 2.

Top Bottom