• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famicom Mini hacked... Homebrew coming?

Update: Ruskies have hacked the NES mini.

There's some instructions on how to do this on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5mghje/i_just_browsed_through_the_amazing_work_of/

Probably just need to wait for this stuff to be simplified.

Original OP:

Can't believe this hasn't been posted, I searched but didn't find a thread. Might have been mentioned/discussed in the NES Mini thread but I think it deserves its own thread, as I (and I imagine others) was not interested in picking one up, but if there is a way to run homebrew on it and load more roms and other cool stuff then that changes the equation.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/a_japanese_hacker_has_cracked_the_famicom_mini_already

A Japanese Hacker Has Cracked The Famicom Mini Already
Opens the door for NES Classic Mini homebrew, as well

Luigiv

Not surprising in the slightest. The way the whole thing is engineered must make it pretty straight forward to hack.

Pokemaniac

I doubt this will go anywhere significant. Mods that require opening up the hardware tend to stay pretty niche.

Also, I don't recall this thing offering anything you wouldn't get in, say, a Raspberry Pi.

Too bad I don't know the first thing about using a soldering iron. I'd rather just retrofit an old NES case with an HTPC than go through the trouble of using this.

It's neat that the NES/Famicom Mini are using Linux, though, I didn't know that.

At the very least expanding/editing the installed library and enjoying more NES games with that polished GUI and features and in that form factor would be cool.

The games on NES Mini has been tweaked and optimised for this device. Via homebrew added games surely don't run in the normal menu and need additional emulators and software and will probably run much worse.

Too bad I don't know the first thing about using a soldering iron. I'd rather just retrofit an old NES case with an HTPC than go through the trouble of using this.

I doubt any soldering will be required once/if the hack matures. The community always strives on making it as easy as possible.

I'm not an expert but I'd imagine it would all be done through the USB port. Like attach a powered hub and a flash drive/SD card.

The games on NES Mini has been tweaked and optimised for this device. Via homebrew added games surely don't run in the normal menu and need additional emulators and software and will probably run much worse.

People have been injecting roms into Nintendo's official emulators for years, often with perfect results.

Mega

Banned
You can get a $40 android box that's going toe to toe (on paper) with the X360/PS3 gen. Or a $70 box that has similar capabilities to high end phones and tablets. There are watches more capable than the Wii/3DS.

You do that and enjoy your copious amounts of input lag. Android is truly the worst for retro emulation. The NES Mini running Linux is a proven improvement in this area over Android clone consoles. If this is a cheap way for people to play 8/16-bit games on their HDTVs with little/no lag, that's great.

gt86

You do that and enjoy your copious amounts of input lag. Android is truly the worst for retro emulation. The NES Mini running Linux is a proven improvement in this area over Android clone consoles. If this is a cheap way for people to play 8/16-bit games on their HDTVs with little/no lag, that's great.

Maybe im missing something, but Android is linux?

I love technology, This is awesome.

I love the idea of it but yet Im not convinced to go run out and buy one. Im sure if I saw it in person Id geek lol

Raspberry_Pi_3_1_of_4_711f1ffe-af5e-4923-aa7f-d80651396258_1024x1024.JPG

Cheaper and way better.

Mega

Banned
Raspberry_Pi_3_1_of_4_711f1ffe-af5e-4923-aa7f-d80651396258_1024x1024.JPG

Cheaper and way better.

RetroPi is not great for everyone.

I spent a pretty penny for a HiDef NES and a Ultra HDMI N64 (1080p HDMI mods, both with near 0ms lag) because the Pi's terible lag coupled with my TV's inherent lag would make games unplayable. If a modded NES Mini is as good as reports are saying it may be a better alternative for some.

low-G

I spent a pretty penny for a HiDef NES and a Ultra HDMI N64 (1080p HDMI mods, both with near 0ms lag) because the Pi's terible lag coupled with my TV's inherent lag would make games unplayable. If a modded NES Mini is as good as reports are saying it may be a better alternative for some.

Whoever made you that chart was lying to you.

Mega

Banned
What's the least laggy and most accurate platform for emulators? How does RetroPie fare?

RPi is the worst not counting cheap Chinese clone handhelds. I believe the person who did the tests in the quoted charts said iOS is the best, although Windows has by far the best emulators. If no HDMI is okay with you, the Wii is incredible and has very low lag, probably better than all modern options.

Whoever made you that chart was lying to you.

Lying how? Explain what's false about his months of careful testing.

http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5428

Far from terrible my friend.

Cute graph btw.

Please stop. I'm not here to personally crap on your favored platform (I don't care about fanboyism crap), I didn't even bring up the Pi. I was responding to someone saying generic Android boxes are superior when I own such devices and have dealt with their unavoidable lag problems.

Far from terrible my friend.

Cute graph btw.

Mega

Banned
What about Wii mode on Wii U? Isn't that basically a Wii with HDMI?

Worse lag (at least in official emulators like the N64 one), and everything on vWii has much worse picture quality than GameCube or Wii. Still awesome that it runs GC and Wii natively.

Top Bottom