• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Kim and his family are missing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Strikes me as odd and sad at the same time

Official report

We've received word that a respected member of our tech community, James Kim (whom many of you may know as CNET's senior editor of digital audio), and his family have gone missing. As we understand it, last weekend James, his wife Kati (above right), and his very young girls Penelope (left) and Sabine (baby), drove from their home in the SF Bay Area to Seattle. They were expected back some time Sunday, but were last heard from Saturday in or between Gold Beach or Portland, Oregon. We sincerely do hope they are all safe, and our hearts go out to the Kim family.

We'll have more information as we get it. If you have any information as to the Kim family's whereabouts, please contact the SFPD at 415-558-5508 during normal business hours, and 415-553-1071 after hours.

Update: Crave reports that James and his family are driving a 2005 silver Saab stationwagon with license plate "DOESF." The official missing person report can be found here.

First person to crack a joke about this sad situation gets a banning..

No bans for the assholes cracking wise in the first thread huh? You guys got lucky, you deserved it.

They are getting more press from Portland local news. I would think if they were holed up somewhere they would have seen themselves on the news or somebody would have recognized them by now. Looks bad. =/

I was just reading one of Kim's recent articles, and in it he talks about finding some digital recordings of his four year old he made shortly after she was born, and how those are now the most cherished files on his hard drive. Man, I hope they're okay.

hiryu

I read a story about some actor or musician who was taking a ride along the road that stretches from Cali to Washington or wherever. Anyways, he went missing for a while and nobody heard from him for years. There was a search and everything and people seemed to think he just skipped off to some tropical isle since he had the money to do so. A few years later, some hikers found a van at the bottom of this cliff and his body was in it. Turns out he just accidentally (or purposely) drove off a cliff and died.

This story instantly reminded me of that. Hopefully, everything turns out ok.

I believe that was the drummer for Iron Butterfly.

As for this story its very sad. I imagine something similar probably happened.

Cherubae

The search still continues

http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=5760690

They then apparently headed south, toward their motel reservation in Gold Beach. But they never made it there, and they never made it home to San Francisco.

Now, police say they James Kim used his credit card that same Saturday night, November 25, at a Denny's restaurant in Roseburg. So the focus of the search has changed, to Douglas County and to Josephine County, and to other regions where they could have passed through en route from Roseburg to Gold Beach or to San Francisco.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
This isn't good. Being a tech savvy guy surely he would have contacted somebody by phone or email by now. There's a lot of hotspots in oregon and I-5 has cell coverage pretty much all the way down. If you get off the main freeway though some of our country highways are pretty vaguely marked. There's been more than a couple times were ppl get lost after turning off the 5 and spending days stuck wandering around the boonies trying to find the roads back to town.

Bezz

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
What the hell is wrong with you ?

He is probably right.

They have been lost for days, maybe they had an accident....but nobody has seen the car or anything. I dont want to be the bad news bear, but most likely they drove off a cliff :(

I remember the story of that little girl who spent 5 days inside a car with his dead mother when they had an accident and drove off a cliff. Luckly someone found the car and call the cops on time to save the girl

usea

Why is making jokes about misfortune suddenly banworthy? Is it because he is a rad guy (I remember him on TechTV a few years ago)? I don't find anything funny about this, but I felt like I needed to speak up about the ridiculous rule imposed in this thread. If I thought there was a joke to be made, I would certainly make it.

Bezz said:
He is probably right.

They have been lost for days, maybe they had an accident....but nobody has seen the car or anything. I dont want to be the bad news bear, but most likely they drove off a cliff :(

I remember the story of that little girl who spent 5 days inside a car with his dead mother when they had an accident and drove off a cliff. Luckly someone found the car and call the cops on time to save the girl

This is probably correct, unfortunately.

People don't usually go missing for a week when driving in that area and come back alive. The odds are that they ran into bad weather, somebody fell asleep, or what have you, and they drove off a cliff/into a tree and were killed. It's terrible, it's heartbreaking, and it just plain sucks, but I would be stunned if any members of his family were found living.

Zilch

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Why are you such an ass?

That IS the reality of the situation. Maybe his Zelda comment was stupid, but stating that they're probably dead is just the blunt truth.

gohepcat

Banned
It's a grim reality , but I have no doubt that they are all dead. No one goes missing for this long with an infant. I can only hope they all went quickly and didn't suffer.

The heartbreaking thing is I remember so many pictures of his children from camera reviews. Such a shame.

Yeah, it's really awful. He had a beautiful family and just seemed like an incredibly nice fellow. Such a goddamn shame. It's really tough to get over it.

And it brings back a lot of personal memories for me too. My best friend went missing back when we were kids, and for a week nobody could find him but it was assumed he was alive because he liked to run away from home. A month later, his body was found, floating about 50 miles from a stretch of canal near his path home from school. Kid couldn't swim.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
makaveli said:
life goes on
it did for tupac.

I've never heard of the guy, but this kind of news is always sad, especially if it's a whole family involved. Damn.

DyTonic

Banned
Holy shiz, that's kind of scary. I read some of his stuff before, a whole family dayum man. I hope this gets resolved fast, too much bad news latley...

Wow, this is horrible. When thinking about it, there's really EXTREMELY little chance that they were able to live this long without any kind of outside contact with anyone else... i fear the worst.

As a big fan of his reviews and appearances on Tech TV (before the horrid G4 takeover), I'm saddened by this news. I'm now hearing that he's been missing for over a week, so the news isn't getting any better. I still hope for the best, even if the outlook is rather grim.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
update from cnet news

update The wife and daughters of missing CNET senior editor James Kim have been found alive and airlifted to a hospital, authorities announced Monday afternoon.

James Kim left the car on snowshoes two days ago to seek help and has not been found.

just putting it out there if anyone is interested.

SoVos20

Banned
In all likelihood, he is dead, two days missing in the freezing snow. Chances of him being alive are slim to none. The is little point in having any hope of him being alive, the best outcome right now is finding his body intact for a funeral.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
our only hope is he ran into a cabin inhabited by a crazy Kathy Bates.

Thank God. That's a huge relief, and a miracle.

James Kim is probably dead, but it's more important that his family survived. That's just amazing.

For ****'s sake, people, it's Oregon, not the arctic! If he was well enough to set out for help two days ago and he actually had snow shoes, there is a decent chance he is still alive.

Fireblend

Banned
Woah, this is movie-worthy. With a special added scene of the Internet commenting about the tragedy.
But seriously, he better gets found. And why did he went for help anyway? Were they out of gas or something?

Aristotlekh said:
Thank God. That's a huge relief, and a miracle.

James Kim is probably dead, but it's more important that his family survived. That's just amazing.

Man, your pessimism surely saved his family, let's hope this added dose brings him home safely as well.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Man, your pessimism surely saved his family, let's hope this added dose brings him home safely as well.

THE EARTH WILL BE OVERFLOODED AND FIRE WILL RAIN DOWN FROM THE SKY AND ALL HUMANITY WILL BE OBLITERATED

But seriously, I'm just really skeptical. How likely is it that, if he was in the mountains or something, he could actually survive for two days without a bunch of preparation? And how likely is it that he could actually make it somewhere safely? It seems more likely that he would just get hopelessly lost.

I say this though, because I get incredibly pessimistic when bad things happen. I always expect the worst. I don't know how plausible any scenario is at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom