• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Inner workings" teaser for new Disney short

Status
Not open for further replies.
6ea.png

So a short about a subject that was the theme of an entire movie with waaaaay better character art?

In a world where there is room for a hundred stories about "what if animals could talk?", there's room for another "reductionist view of the human emotion"/"man falling in love" . Besides, this is about clever visual gags, like some of these shorts usually are, so the way the heart or brains are represented as visual characters is done in favor of a super fast reading from the audience based on easy to pick up connotations of color and shape.

Peterthumpa

In a world where there is room for a hundred stories about "what if animals could talk?", there's room for another "reductionist view of the human emotion"/"man falling in love" . Besides, this is about clever visual gags, like some of these shorts usually are, so the way the heart or brains are represented as visual characters is done in favor of a super fast reading from the audience based on easy to pick up connotations of color and shape.

I'm not hating the short in any way or form, but "talking animals" has been explored to death because it's a really broad storytelling mechanic. Human emotions represented by cute characters are not something you can clone indefinitely without almost instantly coming up with comparisons with Inside's original concept.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, I didn't know Disney had a new short coming.

Double damn, I don't think it looks good.

there are a few other women that share the body type
suVDazZ.png

Seems like everyone is drawn with an exaggerated feature. The main character head is a square, that guy on the back has shoulders almost as wide as he is tall.

I'm not hating the short in any way or form, but "talking animals" has been explored to death because it's a really broad storytelling mechanic. Human emotions represented by cute characters are not something you can clone indefinitely without almost instantly coming up with comparisons with Inside's original concept.

Alright, lets replace talking animals with "this hungry animal wants food". If it is going to be about Slapstick humor, then it is all execution and originality on a per joke basis (but you are right, hopefully this is a liitle more than just jokes, that'll probably be territory that has been charted before ), whether it is a similar idea like a predator like the Coyote or Sylvester the cat, if it is all about funny stuff going on, then the concept is just a pretext. I don't see the execution here being similar to Inside Out, though, it strikes me as being more like the gag where one character ends up becoming a puppet of someone else.

thebeeks

Banned

I wouldn't even call Inside Out an original concept, it's always reminded me of Disney's Reason and Emotion from 1943.

Minus all the WWII stuff, of course.

Peterthumpa

Alright, lets replace talking animals with "this hungry animal wants food". If it is going to be about Slapstick humor, then it is all execution and originality on a per joke basis (but you are right, hopefully this is a liitle more than just jokes, that'll probably be territory that has been charted before ), whether it is a similar idea like a predator like the Coyote or Sylvester the cat, if it is all about funny stuff going on, then the concept is just a pretext. I don't see the execution here being similar to Inside Out, though, it strikes me as being more like the gag where one character ends up becoming a puppet of someone else.
Some good points here, indeed.

I wouldn't even call Inside Out an original concept, it's always reminded me of Disney's Reason and Emotion from 1943.

Minus all the WWII stuff, of course.
Cool, never heard about it before. Impressive animation for a 1943 animated movie, Disney is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom