• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two CEO "Nintendo is making a 'great effort' to support 3rd parties on Switch"

bomblord1

Banned
From GoNintendo

Via wccftech

The folks at Nintendo are making a great effort to support third-party developers, we’re very optimistic on the Switch though we are not announcing anything specific today.

It's insane that third parties seem not just content but are going out of their way to say how impressed they are with Nintendo right now. It's got me a bit excited I don't think we've ever had so many 3rd parties saying such positive things about Nintendo outside of scripted reels that Nintendo themselves put out. I remember they always seemed to skirt the question whenever the wiiU was mentioned.

Is Nintendo really pursuing third party support that vehemently? If so could Switch actually turn out to have decent third party support after all? I dare not hope.

Say something good about me if old

I imagine they say this kind of stuff every time a new system comes out. Until they announce what games they're working on I wouldn't get too excited.

Alexious

From GoNintendo

It's insane that third parties seem not just content but are going out of their way to say how impressed they are with Nintendo right now. It's got me a bit excited I don't think we've ever had so many 3rd parties saying such positive things about Nintendo outside of scripted reels that Nintendo themselves have shown.

Are they really pursuing third party support that vehemently? If so could Switch actually turn out to have decent third party support after all? I dare not hope.

Say something good about me if old

Would be nice if you could update with the source mentioned on the site, it wasn't easy transcribing on the fly :)

But yes, it sounds like Nintendo is doing the right steps when it comes to third party.

It's promising but I'm honestly not expecting better than 3DS. Hopefully Nintendo and the other devs put forth an effort but it's not what I'm buying the system for.

Boke1879

Straight up wait and see on that front for me. I'll get the switch regardless. Day one if that Mario game is on point

komplanen

None of this means anything until we actually see it in action or the effects of it.

Literally one of the biggest publishers said they have an "unprecedented relationship" with Nintendo and we all know how that turned out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Same song and dance every launch.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm pretty sure Take-Two were far more openly hostile than this last time (remember the statement on the relationship they have with Microsoft and Sony and have had for a long time but didn't have with Nintendo?).

This is actually fairly different.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Nope, they werent that positive prior to WiiU launch. A lot of stuff has changed since then. I would assume the tools to support multiplattform development are satisfying this time and Nintendo is willing is willing to bundle/promote non-exclusive 3rdParty games this time.

maxcriden

Nope, they werent that positive prior to WiiU launch. A lot of stuff has changed since then. I would assume the tools to support multiplattform development are satisfying this time and Nintendo is willing is willing to bundle/promote non-exclusive 3rdParty games this time.

Perhaps a Skyrim bundle is in the cards what with no Zelda at launch.

Alienous

I see no reason why the Switch would get any more support than the Wii U. The Wii U was a console generation behind its competition, and you could argue that the Switch is 1.5 console generations behind its competition.

Take-Two have their sports games, so they'll support the Switch in some capacity (NBA, WWE). But I don't expect a Mafia 3 port, for instance.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Straight up wait and see on that front for me. I'll get the switch regardless. Day one if that Mario game is on point

This. I have a PC for 3rd party stuff but godspeed to them getting them in board. Worth the price of admission for Nintendos output alone to me.

Mega

Banned

Literally. I remember reading exact same stuff like this in mags since the dire N64 and Gamecube days. I am not putting stock in any fluff quote from a dev and going in with the assumption that the combined first/second-party hybrid library will be the Switch's saving grace.

FZZ

Banned
I'd rather buy a Skyrim bundle than a Splatoon one

Not even close

the developers saying positive comments now are the complete opposite of the ones who were excited about any other Nintendo console launch

Pretty sure Take-Two didn't give two shits about the Wii U

sanstesy

I think what is in favor of Nintendo this time is that any 3rd party console publisher would love to see their games on a console that basically serves as a handheld with minimal effort. The Switch basically enables that.

Question is just how successful the console will be and then how well the 3rd party games will do on a handheld. But first they need to test it with releasing games on it and if they'll do that in a serious manner is the real question mark.

Lothars

I think what is in favor of Nintendo this time is that any 3rd party console publisher would love to see their games on a console that basically serves as a handheld with minimal effort. The Switch basically enables that.

Question is just how successful the console will be and then how well the 3rd party games will do on a handheld. But first they need to test it with releasing games on it and if they'll do that in a serious manner is the real question mark.
Exactly, They can have every third party develloper come out and say good things about the Switch but until the support is there, I am going to believe that the Switch will have very little Third Party Support like the last 3 generations of Nintendo Systems.

shira

That Rabbids x Mario RPG better be the fucking RPGOTY. They can't fumble out the gate again with 3rd parties or collabs

To me the effort is worthless if their games are worse than they are on other consoles.

And that's before I consider the fact I play on PC.

Guymelef

Start can be good, the thing is if people is going to support third party games on it.

You can have NBA, WWE, etc... at launch but what if it doesn't sell?

We'll see how serious they are in about a month and a half.

I'm telling ya'll. ANY Dark Souls game other than 2 and I am in day 1

Kimawolf

That Nvidia influence.

Nvidia is credible with many people. And no this isn't the "same ole same ole". People must really forget how before Wii u launch Nintendo was a laughing stock and nothing positive was being written or said.

Vena

Maybe in some alternate universe, or you're memory has failed you in the last five years and you've created an alternate memory of the WiiU's launch.

I see no reason why the Switch would get any more support than the Wii U. The Wii U was a console generation behind its competition, and you could argue that the Switch is 1.5 console generations behind its competition.

I'd love to hear you argue that because I'm pretty sure you can't.

That Nvidia influence.

Nvidia is credible with many people. And no this isn't the "same ole same ole". People must really forget how before Wii u launch Nintendo was a laughing stock and nothing positive was being written or said.

I can only hope, Nvidia has managed to get some surprising ports on their Shield line, so hopefully that also ends up being true for Switch.

This is definitely a different song and dance from Take Two when compared to a similar timeframe leading up to Wii U's launch. That being said, I'm not expecting a whole lot of support from them.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Nintendo seems to be making the right steps, but unfortunately the Nintendo ecosystem is stuck in a "Customers don't buy third party games->Third parties ignore Nintendo->Customers don't buy third party games" cycle. Typically something drastic needs to happen to break out of feedback loops like this.

Top Bottom