• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare: New IP by Mass Effect leads hiring for exp. w/ "online RPG game mechanics"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's also a job listing that lists it as having first and/or third person shooter combat, but I think that's pretty much expected of every AAA game until proven otherwise.

This is listed pretty high up the priority list, so I suspect the online component here is more significant than the side modes in Mass Effect/Dragon Age.

BioWare said:
Career Opportunities: BioWare Austin: Lead Systems Designer (102601)
Requisition ID 102601 - Posted 11/03/2016 - Regular - EA Studios - BioWare - Game Design - Austin - Texas - United States - Americas

Join BioWare as our next Lead Systems Designer- Create Your Career With Us!

BioWare's vision is to create, deliver, and evolve the most emotionally engaging games in the world.

BioWare develops high-quality console, PC, and online role-playing games focused on rich stories, unforgettable characters, and vast worlds to discover. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world's most critically acclaimed titles, including Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars ™: Knights of the Old Republic™, Jade Empire™, Mass Effect™, and Dragon Age™. BioWare operates in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada), Montreal (Quebec, Canada), and Austin (Texas, United States). In 2008, BioWare was acquired by Electronic Arts, a leading global interactive entertainment publisher.

Currently announced projects at BioWare include the ongoing support of the Mass Effect franchise, one of the highest rated video game series of all time and Dragon Age: Inquisition, the latest entry in the Dragon Age franchise. Other unannounced projects are also currently being worked on.

We are currently looking for a Lead Level Designer to join our studio in Austin to work on a new unannounced IP. This exciting new IP is being developed by the same creative team that brought you Mass Effect.

As a Lead Systems Designer you will:
Work with a team of systems designers and design leadership through all stages of development to own and implement large systems and gameplay features that improve content and functionality of the game.
Set and maintain the gold standard for game systems in a franchise.
Collaborate with other key stakeholders to identify and implement the priorities and objectives.
Be proactive in communicating progress and resolution of problems
Create documentation and prototypes for specific and exploratory game systems.

The next great BioWare Lead Systems Designer also needs:
5 + years of experience as a game designer working on AAA titles in a senior role.
Familiar with online RPG game mechanics.
Comfortable collaborating with groups within art and programming
Thorough understanding of scripting and programming concepts with the ability to implement.
Excellent knowledge of RPGs, current technology and tools, design concepts and game balancing.
Ability to work collaboratively with team members from different locations and different disciplines.
Ability to critique the concepts of play in a group environment
Willingness to adapt and iterate designs.
A passion for gaming

The shooter gameplay listing: https://career4.successfactors.com/...lertName=&_s.crb=WDzfsTMMYo2WDMs4QBVlV0ccZNU=

Career Opportunities: Senior Gameplay Designer (87184)
Requisition ID 87184 - Posted 08/17/2016 - Regular - EA Studios - BioWare - Game Design - Edmonton - Alberta - Canada - Americas

This exciting new IP is being developed by the same creative team that brought you Mass Effect. This role would be a hybrid between controller input and camera movement (systems, mechanics, balance) and tuning and maintaining game systems that involve physical impact reactions against characters using AI driven behaviors.

The next great BioWare Senior Gameplay Designer also needs:
5 + years of experience as a game designer working on AAA titles.
Familiar with third/first person shooter mechanics, action gameplay and cameras

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hype deflated before it's even announced. Would be nice if RPG's could go back to being single-player only.

Sounds like it's going to be along the lines of Destiny and The Division.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could this be another attempt at making that urban fantasy game they cancelled?

This is that one they teased way back at E3 2013 with the trees.

Isn't Bioware Austin where The Old Republic team is? So new MMO from them?
All of BioWare's games are developed at all BioWare studios now so they can hire crazy 400+ person teams to shove on their products.

The idea of having individual studios work on different products went out the window due to development needs this generation.

As an example, some of the roles on the site can actually be hired at any of the three branches.

Zukkoyaki

Sounds like they're aiming for this to be EA's Destiny/Division equivalent. And honestly I'm okay with that because we're still getting the new single-player focused Mass Effect. For those that yern for the Bioware of old, Obsidian is filling that void quite nicely.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could this be like a MMO lite Destiny/Division game in a fantasy RPG universe that comes to consoles?

Sounds like they're aiming for this to be EA's Destiny/Division equivalent.

See, the interesting thing about that is that they seem to have a different new IP in development where the job postings suggest the game is exactly that (and I'm guessing it's Star Wars branded given some things EA has said lately).

That said, the job descriptions for that game suggested it was a model for BioWare going forward, so maybe both new IPs are somewhat like this. The new IP from the Mass Effect leads also sounds like it's going to be targeting next fiscal year (out by March 2018) while the potential Star Wars game sounds more like a 2020-2021 title, so they wouldn't really overlap.

tuxfool

Banned
T
All of BioWare's games are developed at all BioWare studios now so they can hire crazy 400+ person teams to shove on their products.

The idea of having individual studios work on different products went out the window due to development needs this generation.

As an example, some of the roles on the site can actually be hired at any of the three branches.

While true, Studios will usually have a location that takes point on a project.

dr_rus

Sounds like they're aiming for this to be EA's Destiny/Division equivalent. And honestly I'm okay with that because we're still getting the new single-player focused Mass Effect. For those that yern for the Bioware of old, Obsidian is filling that void quite nicely.

Obsidian haven't really made a Bioware like AAA RPG since 2010. No idea how they are filling anything but the indie RPG space right now - which is great but hardly what people want from Bioware games.

I personally will be very disappointed if that new IP will end up being just another MMO as I don't really see why we need another one.

Isn't Bioware Austin where The Old Republic team is? So new MMO from them?

There is a big MMO development scene in Austin, and it goes back to SOE who created a star team in the early 2000s to make Star Wars Galaxies. As Galaxies died down, developers from SOE came onto Bioware Austin.

Trion Worlds is in Austin (Rift)
Zenimax (Elder Scrolls Online) is in Austin
Imperium Games (Star Citizen) is in Austin (and other locations)
Destination Games (Tabula Rsa) is in Austin (now Portalarium)
NC Soft (largest MMO publisher in the world) is in Austin

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Obsidian haven't really made a Bioware like AAA RPG since 2010. No idea how they are filling anything but the indie RPG space right now - which is great but hardly what people want from Bioware games.

Wouldn't Pillars of Eternity be quite similar to the Bioware of old?

Wouldn't Pillars of Eternity be quite similar to the Bioware of old?

Depends on what "old BioWare" you're talking about. It could really mean anything from Baldur's Gate to KotOR. Hell, it could probably mean Dragon Age: Origins or the original Mass Effect for some.

Lime

I wonder how much of a shooter this will be, with little to no emphasis on narrative/ exploration/ dialogue

Phamit

Don't know if this was posted yet here somewhere, but here is a interview with Aaryn Flynn

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/28/biowares-new-horizon-inside-andromedas-challenges-star-wars-future-and-the-new-ip.aspx?utm_content=buffer666fc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

He talks really short about the new IP, but more interesting are the bits about Co-op storytelling "something we really think a lot about here"

New IP about min 18, co-op about min 28

I just watched the interview Aaryn Flynn gave to GI and he talked a bit about the IP, and frankly it seemed a little strange. He didn't sound super confident in it, but I'm not sure that was him being coy.

At one point when asked about it he says "Knock on wood we will still be able to keep working on it and doing it."

Like um, what? This game has been in development for years now, I would think its totally locked down and a release year time frame already in place. He also pretty much hints its far away. I kind of have the impression this title has hit some development problems.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't recall why offhand, but I've been under the belief this title would be multiplayer-centric (and thus of considerably limited interest to me despite my love for BioWare) for quite some time.

Hype deflated before it's even announced. Would be nice if RPG's could go back to being single-player only.

Sounds like it's going to be along the lines of Destiny and The Division.

Solid first reply; pretty much nailed my feelings too. I'd much prefer a new single-player RPG series, although I'm sure EA would like a piece of that Destiny pie.

Top Bottom