• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouve: “We need to make changes so that there can be a Dead Rising 5,6&7"

Tripon

"We had three writers on this project, and that's three times as many as we've ever had before," he tells us whilst showing us the game at a recreated living room in London.

"We're talking proper video game writers that knew exactly how to weave the story. Our lead writer worked on the most recent Deus Ex.

"I don't want to speak ill of anyone, but the writer we've had in the past was someone who had done some creative writing, was working at Capcom and wrote us a story. This time we got a proper video game designer/writer. Anyone, theoretically, can write a story, but writing a story that makes sense and that you can play, that's a real skill. Right down to getting behind why these characters are doing this, why would that guy snap and wear that stupid costume? Those are the sorts of questions we're asking. 90 percent of the consumers who play this game, they don't think as much as we do about these things, but for the 10 percent that do want that depth, we've got it."

"The message behind the game is around consumerism and Black Friday, and we're asking: who is the monster? The zombies running around or is it what caused everyone to fight each other and demand these products and services? I often say this is not the thinking man's game, but there are some messages in there that might make you think a little bit more than usual."

Executive producer Bryce Cochrane jumps in: "One of our goals is to really make a product that means we can make Dead Rising 5, 6, 7. That involves expanding and changing the franchise, and therefore sometimes we need to take risks. That means some people will be upset with what you did. The only way to truly tell if we made the right choices is to play the game."

Cochrane adds: "It can also be a little heartbreaking. You think you have the perfect idea, but then you discover it didn't work. So we have to evolve and change. We even did this right from when we were starting the game and pitching the idea of Christmas, [returning lead character] Frank, what the story is... we focus tested that. As soon as we had versions of Frank up and ready to go, we focus tested that. We wanted to innovate and that will always mean some change, and sometimes that can be uncomfortable, but it can also lead to great things."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-so-that-there-can-be-a-dead-rising-5-6-and-7

robotrock

Banned
I liked the first two Dead Rising games a lot and never questioned why Frank West or Chuck Greene would wear a dumb costume. I am the 90% and proud

One of the very first and perhaps most influential movies in the zombie genre had consumerism as a central theme, I don't know why they think that theme is going to make people think

gogojira

Who's the monster, the zombies or the Black Friday shoppers? Deep, man. So deep. Glad they hired so many quality writers to really give us that thinking man's narrative.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I didn't see Resident Evil tackling the conundrum of why Rebecca decided to dress like a cheerleader

Mrbob

Who's the monster, the zombies or the Black Friday shoppers? Deep, man. So deep. Glad they hired so many quality writers to really give us that thinking man's narrative.
Who needs a true creative writer when you can have a video game writer instead.

"We're changing Dead Rising and you'll buy it if you ever want to see this franchise again!"

I don't mean to blame anyone at Capcom Vancouver, I'm sure they just have to find a way to stay on the payroll and Capcom would rather they make a product they can sell to as many people as possible, but people won't like the changes they seem to be making to the formula from the looks of things.

The sad fact is if/when Dead Rising 4 fails, Capcom's only lesson will be "guess this franchise wasn't going anywhere to begin with" and move on from it.

jholmes

Finally, a Dead Rising game that makes a commentary about consumerism by placing hordes of zombies in a mall.

Good work Vancouve.

giphy.gif

Anung

Un Rama
"Taking risks" by removing everything risky (and unique/fun) from the series.

After seeing the ways things are going I'd gladly do without a Dead Rising 5, 6 and 7.

I'm intrigued by the way they describe their reasoning behind the changes but I really feel like those questions are unnecessary and create this tedious wank when all I wanna do is smack some zombies, Dead Rising style.

"Taking risks" by removing everything risky (and unique/fun) from the series.

Yup, the disconnect behind what he says there and reality are a little disheartening.

KarmaCow

Trying to rationalize and justify the stupid shit in games is usually a road to ruin and like they said, most people do not care about the explanations. I don't understand why they would do this, especially for a game like Dead Rising.

Boke1879

"We're changing Dead Rising and you'll buy it if you ever want to see this franchise again!"

I don't mean to blame anyone at Capcom Vancouver, I'm sure they just have to find a way to stay on the payroll and Capcom would rather they make a product they can sell to as many people as possible, but people won't like the changes they seem to be making to the formula from the looks of things.

I think it's much simpler than that.

Is anyone even at all hyped for a new Dead Rising game? I really haven't heard much about it and honestly forgot it released next week.

I'm glad they got a super-talented and proper video game writer to draft up this complete gem of a storyline. The only time I've ever seen a video game tie zombies and consumerism together was the first fucking game in the series.

Flunkie

Banned
More Dead Rising is never a bad thing, and it's just a consolation prize that they're making changes that I really really like to see.

Yeah, how defensive and smug Capcom Vancouver is being about DR4 is only cementing that it's going to be garbage. I see this same song and dance with every game (and film) that makes massive alterations to formulas that ends up with a worse result.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How about waiting for the returns from Dead Rising 4 before announcing more sequels?

Capcom, get your shit together.

"The message behind the game is around consumerism and Black Friday, and we're asking: who is the monster? The zombies running around or is it what caused everyone to fight each other and demand these products and services? I often say this is not the thinking man's game, but there are some messages in there that might make you think a little bit more than usual."

Oh no.

Oh no.

Oh my god this is entry-level writing this is so bad holy shit

Riposte

I think is the most fuckery I've read in an dev interview since those Order 1886 dudes said that shit about pyramids.

StoveOven

Banned
We're talking proper video game writers that knew exactly how to weave the story. Our lead writer worked on the most recent Deus Ex.

The message behind the game is around consumerism and Black Friday, and we're asking: who is the monster? The zombies running around or is it what caused everyone to fight each other and demand these products and services?

Seems about right

Dead rising 4 looks like everything wrong with the triple A games space rolled into one package. I think capcom is just trolling us at this point.

no seriously they brag about how good their writer is and then pull the most trite "who are the real monsters here" shit ever in the same interview

this is amazing

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Why would you threaten me with something like that

This is the holiday season. And that's all just terrible.

ghostjoke

Banned
You don't even seem to be making a true Dead Rising 4, so hold your horses on 5 and beyond. But please, write your zombie apocalypse with parallels to out of control consumerism, I need a laugh.

StoveOven

Banned
They DmC'd your Dead Rising lol

DmC was at least a reboot and a new developer trying their own spin on the franchise.

This is the developer that made the last two games clearly not understanding what people ever liked about the franchise.

Megatron

I really dont have a problem with them making changes to the fourth entry in a series. If there is a 5th, maybe we will see changes back. The first 3 games still exist.

I've become a big fan of the series and liked a demo I played so I'm still in. But I didn't like some of what I read there.

The paraphrased quote in the title also is misleading.

PsychBat!

Banned

JzHmzV7.gif

Phloxy

Soon as they took out campaign co op they lost over ten sales from just people I know personally. Don't announce 4 player co op at E3 then a week before release on some shit stream say, well the 4 player is a shitty mode and we removed actual co op. That was the last straw. Waiting for State if Decay 2 now.

Top Bottom