• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo functionality in Zelda Breath of the Wild detailed

LordKano

http://nintendo.tumblr.com/post/153959693594/the-legend-of-zelda-30th-anniversary-amiibo-are

The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary amiibo are in stores today! Each will offer random items you can use in the game when used with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Legend has it, you may even receive a treasure chest with a rare item if you’re lucky?!
8-bit Link will reward you with a random number of barrels. You might find rupees inside too!
Ocarina of Time Link will reward you with a random amount of meat.
Toon Link will reward you with a random amount of fish.
Wind Waker Zelda will reward you with a random selection of plants.

tumblr_ohkt7rMqRx1ufr0jio5_500.gif

tumblr_ohkt7rMqRx1ufr0jio1_500.gif

Reminder : the Wolf Link amiibo is also compatible and give you Wolf Link as a battle partner.
Su6r3ktseW6FG.gif

Reminder 2 : they announced three Breath of the Wild amiibo back at E3 and we don't know yet what their uses will be.
zelda_amiibo.jpg

Wolf Link remains the only current amiibo to give you significant content in this then.

Will have to pick that up along with the BotW amiibo next year.

I'm assuming this is a once-per-day thing?

Easy to see what the Link archer will give you now. Not sure about horse or Guardian, though.

I think it's hilarious that this is basically a replacement for microtransactions.

Platy

I wonder if the Smash Bros Link and Zelda give you something ...

....and if you kill an enemy dropping a treasure chest on it

RPGCrazied

I think Wolf link is the best one, who doesn't want a Wolf following you around finding stuff and defending you?

I have no Amiibo but being able to reandomly create fish out of nowhere is an amazing ability and should be in all games! Great job Nintendo

Mexen

Wait, random or different? What does that mean, I could buy different amiibos and the rand() would, improbably, lead to all my amsiibos giving me the same items?
Why not just have fixed, different items per amiibo.

Edit : oh, I see. Never mind.

Lijik

i hope i can use this to dazzle and distract people. Probably expecting too much but i think itd be so funny to duck out of a tense encounter by summoning fish

Camjo-Z

Finally, fans will be able to to feel his barrel chest, fish around in his tight plants, and get their hands on Link's meat.

emb

Lol. Functionality isn't that interesting, but it's amusing watching all this junk fall from the sky.

Feels like appropriate in-game use of amiibos to me. Do something because they can, but don't make it that interesting because people who don't like collecting figurines shouldn't have choose between paying extra for interesting features.

That said, the Zelda line is nice and I'm gonna buy them all anyway.

Clov

Well, that's... neat I guess. Seems pretty tossed in there, but whatever works.

I wonder if I can use my Ganondorf Amiibo for anything in this?

Top Bottom