• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best boxart of 2016?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I live TMS LE boxart.

hsapufepakekoukainokizi000002.jpg

That landscape art reminds me of snes <3

No. Game is amazing but that cover... :/

Haha. There's more art underneath the cover. Anyway, the box art doesn't pretend to be anything else but a fun video game. I like Doom's art, too, but the in-game graphics don't look anything like that. If Doom had the same art style as its cover, that would have been terrific.

Chemo

No Man's Sky has what is probably going to end up being the best box art of the entire console generation. It's easily the best of the year~

dan2026

Blows my mind that the developers could look at the two Doom cover arts and pick the one they did.

'Well we have this piece here that echoes back to the classic history of the franchise and perfectly illustrates an unstoppable badass fighting a never ending hoard of demons'

'Or we have generic man standing with gun'

'Guess we better go with the gun one. Now excuse me while I flush my head down this toilet'

Justinh

Yeah, I think this one looks better than the standard reverse cover.

I had an annoying time getting mine though. I had to go ask my local Gamestop like 3 times before they actually knew what I was talking about. At least I got an extra one out of it (oh looks like you did, too...).

edit: My Xbox One covers for some reason don't have the spines. I remember I thought they were for the PC version, but she said that the PC ones were larger, like... standard DVD case size. weird...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFXV Deluxe Edition

sku2.png

Originally from Amano's art:

amano_yoshitaka.jpg

The NES boxarts for Steamworld Dig & Heist from Steamworld Collection

https://nintendo.corednacdn.com/web_images/eShop%20Selects/Retrobox_SWD.png[IMG]
[IMG]https://nintendo.corednacdn.com/web_images/eShop%20Selects/Retrobox_SWH.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Niiiice. Had no idea they even existed.

Between this and the Rise of the Tomb Raider PS1 cover, I think I'm a sucker for retro-styled box art.

The TLG steelbook. My pictures don't do it justice. It's beautiful.

Yeah, that looks fantastic. I saw this on the Game website yesterday and (I have £30 credit with them) despite it being £50 I was tempted to order it.

The NES boxarts for Steamworld Dig & Heist from Steamworld Collection

Retrobox_SWD.png

Retrobox_SWH.png

Those are gorgeous. I love the art in Steamworld so much.

Very surprised this isn't getting mentioned much:

qpJVi51.png

Yeah, all things aside this box art is beautiful. I think this is probably my favourite of the year.

Its a toss up between
Superhot
30695-1.png

and

Trackmania Turbo
3b4d2af9-048e-4e5a-859b-a2560bd38fe4_1.b6c73793e6c1ed0d81b86bd3ea835273.jpeg

and even though the game doesnt come out til next year, the Sonic Mania CE box art is already a favorite of mine this year.
CsYzRp4XEAAiAyR.jpg

Wichu

These look great. I assume they're bad given your post and the lack of mention of them on this forum in general.
There were a few threads about the game when it came out (the different covers are for the English/Japanese versions). I think the OT still gets bumped occasionally.

The game is good, but doesn't quite live up to the first two games in the series. Couple that with the four-year wait for fans, and it's easy to see why people would be disappointed.

FWIW, I liked it, but it could have been a lot better with a better art style and a more fleshed out plot. I would still recommend it as long as you keep that in mind.

Though you'd need to play the first two games first (they're rereleasing Q1 2017 as Zero Escape: The Nonary Games) or it won't make any sense. The story is the big draw of the series, so there's no sense spoiling a bunch of the twists by playing them out of order.

Maledict

I'm really perplexed by some of the incredibly generic choices in the thread. Both the 'big breasted generic anime girls with tiny pants' section, and the 'tons of faces you don't know doing nothing' style that is so beloved by Japanese companies and never used anywhere else. I mean, Persona 5 is going to be freacking amazing when it gets here, but it's cover is so unbelieveably, painfully generic. Every year there are multiple game covers with exactly the same style and composition from Japan.

In terms of great covers it's been a good year. Bioshock, Last Guardian and No Mans Sky are all fantastic, beautiful pieces of work.

Moonkid

The Witness has the best box art in this thread. It's the difference between great and good when comparing it to Bioshock and No Man's Sky.

SxP

I have to agree with the people posting the TLG Special Edition. Just got it yesterday, and it's strikingly beautiful.

Only a Souls fan approaching "blind for the franchise" levels would say this cover is anything beyond passable. Come on.

Exactly. Besides, Souls games haven't exactly been known for good cover art. Bloodborne is probably the best out of the series, but that's not saying much. Good cover art tells a story. Good cover art draws the eye with striking attention to detail that can be delivered at a glance, but inspected more closely to reward a patient eye.

When I look at a game's cover, I should be able to tell what kind of game it is, or at the very least, a core theme of the game itself. Doom's reverse cover art is pretty telling: guy shoots demons, doesn't seem to be worrying too much about it. Final Fantasy XV's Japanese cover art shows us that it's about some friends on a road trip, but there's a more fantastic element to its commonplace "let's ride a car and travel the world" story. The Last Guardian's cover art tells us that it's about a boy and a peaceful-looking creature named Trico.

We can gather that Doom is violent, FF15 is a fantasy game with a more personal touch, and The Last Guardian is mysterious, yet peaceful.

Dark Souls 3 is an armored guy with a bunch of shit in his hand kneeling over a yellow-grey background. Does it tell me about the world? I know it has armored dudes in it. How about its genre? Is it an action game? Is it a tactics game? Do you shoot demons, go on a road trip with friends, or team up with a gryphon-like beast to solve puzzles? I don't know from the cover, because all I see is a guy kneeling down with a bunch of shit in his hand.

CjTiSTnW0AAbb_-.jpg

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more love for this gem ^

A guy and a robot run on walls and shoot stuff. It's a little misleading, because BT can't traverse terrain like Jack, but it's not a bad cover. It's just bland. It not really grabbing my attention like this thread's three favorites (the aforementioned Doom and TLG, as well as No Man's Sky). If it were up to me, I'd go for something showing off the name of the game. Show Jack and BT from below, with a shot of them plummeting to the earth from above. Maybe have jack firing on some guys who are just barely visible from the bottom of the cover art while BT prepares to slam his arms down and burn up some goons. Wallrunning may be a core component of Titanfall, but the game isn't called "Titanwallrun".

SubbieD

DOOM reverse cover

FF XV Special Edition

51BGDSWbczL._SY445_.jpg

This!

My first steelbook ever (at normal edition price :p), don't go on the image, in your hands, this looks resplendent and warm and real. The backside has a really nice artwork of Luna too.

Never selling this badboy :p

91Fcf8cGTrL._SX342_.jpg

Yeah but not with Metal Gear bro. The ma and pas are going for the yearly event games the assassins creeds and cods. Seems weird coming from Konami.
That's a terrible cover for Dark Souls. It's the
end boss who has no actual mention or lore until you get to them. Should have gone with something from the cliff edge to the undead settlement

That amano's rainbow puke cover is so overrated. I really prefer the normal FFXV boxart, or any of the alternate versions over that one.

Top Bottom