• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strict voter ID law approved in Michigan House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's right in line with alt right methods. Nefarious arguments that seem on their face to make sense to most people. But in reality are aimed at oppressing and punishing the vulnerable in this country to maintain the status quo.

VariantX

I have to admit that this is an issue where I don't understand our ("the left/liberal") position on it. ID isn't hard to get. But maybe my privilege blinds me to some aspect I'm missing?

If you always have to be at work during the DMV's operating hours, then even if you have the money, you simply don't have the time. If your DMV is open from 8-5 and you work 8-4 and don't work near a DMV, good luck getting one. Just being open 2-3 more hours a day or being open for a short time on sat would be a massive improvement.

Jeffrey

By not being a sociopath for one.

It's not like GOP cares about that though.

It seems easier for them to just prevent folks that'd vote dem to vote than to convince them to vote republican, so why wouldn't they do that.

It's a scummy strategy that works, but what can be done about that?

If you always have to be at work during the DMV's operating hours, then even if you have the money, you simply don't have the time. If your DMV is open from 8-5 and you work 8-4 and don't work near a DMV, good luck getting one. Just being open 2-3 more hours a day or being open for a short time on sat would be a massive improvement.

I see. I personally had multiple forms of ID before I ever worked a full time job but again that is potentially a privileged experience. Thanks for elucidating.

Michigan has a state ID--free if you're over 65, $10 if under.

You still have to provide supporting documents to get it and prove permanent residence. Getting a replacement Social Security Card for example requires that you provide a Michigan issued state ID.

Getting an ID is a simple issue for people who are fortunate to have their shit together. It's not as easy as it sounds if you're in poverty or similar circumstances.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
We need to start canvassing right fucking now and start making sure everyone has whatever they need to vote without a provisional ballot.

Yep. If you're against this measure and live in Michigan, might not hurt to volunteer for organizations that help drive people to the DMV between now and the election.

Pyrokai

How can they even say they support democracy like this? Fucking shameless fucks.

Can you overdose on complete lack of surprise

From November 9th on I've been mainlining it

Yep. I've compiled a folder of bookmarks that now ranges to nearly 200 on pure bad news ever since the election. I don't have the stomach to read them, so I save them.

I just can't anymore. How can things so quickly turn around and take us back even further than 8 years ago and yet it took us sooooo long to get to where we were before the election.

It's so hard to avoid depression. In fact, I'm confident I'm depressed.

Blader

I have to admit that this is an issue where I don't understand our ("the left/liberal") position on it. ID isn't hard to get. But maybe my privilege blinds me to some aspect I'm missing?

Getting a driver's license or passport, or even just being issued your birth certificate, all take time and money. If you're a lower-income individual with no immediate access to, say, a DMV and you work all day on an hourly wage, are you likely to sacrifice several hours worth of pay -- plus money for ID fees, plus money for public transit costs to get to the DMV -- to get your photo ID?

It does take money and time (which is equal to more money) for people to get a photo ID, and if those costs are eating into your budget for food or rent, you're likely going to skip the ID. I get the surface-level feeling that everyone should have a photo ID anyway, and if the federal government or every state government that implements these laws would provide valid photo IDs for free, I might think differently about how this works. But, as it is, voter ID laws disproportionately discriminate against lower-income and minority citizens, and makes it much much harder to vote.

FyreWulff

The extremely short version: it's like spending 3 million dollars to prevent 5 dollars worth of crime.

It's a guise of "protecting the elections!" but every time, the mechanism to get the ID itself is intentionally made difficult. Voting should be as easy as possible. Whenever someone wants voters removed from the rolls, it's always trying to optimize an election for yourself, not for the general good. Ideally, it would impossible to ever lose the right to vote in the first place for any reason.

Amir0x

Banned
Strong generalization of people you do not know.
They own this monster. No backing out now. You cant intentionally kill someone and then say you didnt realize he would die.

They are being judged for their actions. Life is hard, now they gotta suck it up, realize they are awful and change. Or they deal with being judged. I will laugh at them either way.

ezekial45

Banned
What's the best way people can fight this? I'm sure the Dems are freaking about this, because this is directly designed to hurt them and prevent them from winning.

Vena

I don't believe in blanket judgments.

GOP doesn't seem to have a problem passing blanket laws that unilaterally target minorities and people of certain skin tones. The party seems to LOVE generalizations, so I think its only fair that their voters be held to similar degrees of contempt for the human race.

Trump ran on a platform of generalizing immigrants, Mexicans, blanks, and everyone else including "white people" but that generalization was used in the reverse. So, please, take "I don't like sweeping generalizations" and promptly shove them.

What's the best way people can fight this? I'm sure the Dems are freaking about this, because this is directly designed to hurt them and prevent them from winning.

Get involved at a local level. Educate your fellow man on these very subjects.

eFKac

gopconventionsimpsons_2.jpg

How USA never just admits that the Republicans are fucking scum through and through amazes me as a outsider.

Where are you from?

I'm from Europe, voting without an ID seems strange to say the least, to me.

Where are you from?

I'm from Europe, voting without an ID seems strange to say the least, to me.

Its not easy to obtain an ID that is valid for voting for many people, they may not be able to afford the cost of the ID or they don't have a car or can't drive so they can't obtain a driver's license, etc.

In a lot of cases people will find that their state issued ID is not valid for some reason (the reason is obvious) or they think their student ID will work (it is a state issued picture ID after all) then they get to the polls and find out it's not valid.

For instance if someone cannot drive or doesn't have a permanent residence they cant get a driver's license. So they're instructed to obtain a state issued ID from a county clerk office. Unsurprisingly, they then find out that there is no local office where they can get this done, the closest one is a 30-45 minute drive. or it is nearby, and their hours are so limited that they would have to miss a day of work in order to get it. And when you can't afford a car or a drivers Ed class, missing a day of work is a disaster for families.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The uphill battle for Democrats just keeps getting harder and harder. People have their hopes for 2020 but I'm fully expecting Trump to be reelected at this rate.

Blader

I don't believe in blanket judgments.

The nuanced reasons for any given Republican's support for Trump or the GOP as a whole doesn't really mean much when the outcome is still going to be the same for the people who stand to be disadvantaged by policies like these.

Republican A voted for Donald Trump because of genuine economic anxiety. Republican B voted for Donald Trump because he's a Klan member who hates Muslims. Their different reasoning doesn't really matter when, in the end, they both chose to elect the pro-registry white nationalist as president.

Grassroots push to spread voter ID awareness and make it easier for people targeted by these laws to get registered and receive the proper IDs.

Breads

Banned
The GOP really does hate minorities, huh. They will do anything to stack up all the mathematical advantages they can...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Birth certificates trip up an awful lot of poor persons and families. If you're poor, you may come from a broken home, have been shipped around the country for decades, or are not sure what city you may have been born it due to poor families migrating looking for work.

This is an area I've long been amazed that democrats haven't pushed for more programs to assist low-income individuals in getting ID. It's not just for voting but helps get people on track with things like bank accounts.

Maybe there are programs in some states but to me they haven't been very visible if so. I'd think the programs could be attached to public assistance. Require state ID to receive assistance but subsidize people who don't have the ID in getting it for the first time rather than just blockade them.

Don't the stats from the latest election suggest that the vote turnout in states with these sorts of laws wasn't significantly different to those without them? The intention might be nefarious but it doesn't seem like it actually makes much difference.

Amir0x

Banned
The nuanced reasons for any given Republican's support for Trump or the GOP as a whole doesn't really mean much when the outcome is still going to be the same for the people who stand to be disadvantaged by policies like these.

Republican A voted for Donald Trump because of genuine economic anxiety. Republican B voted for Donald Trump because he's a Klan member who hates Muslims. Their different reasoning doesn't really matter when, in the end, they both chose to elect the pro-registry white nationalist as president.

Or like lawyers love to say, "ignorantia juris non excusat", ignorance of the law is no excuse. Likewise, ignorance of the outcome of your vote is no excuse. Do more research, learn how to filter out good info from bad.

GOP doesn't seem to have a problem passing blanket laws that unilaterally target minorities and people of certain skin tones. The party seems to LOVE generalizations, so I think its only fair that their voters be held to similar degrees of contempt for the human race.

Trump ran on a platform of generalizing immigrants, Mexicans, blanks, and everyone else including "white people" but that generalization was used in the reverse. So, please, take "I don't like sweeping generalizations" and promptly shove them.

Yeah, I really think the era of "compassionate, understanding Democrat cutting our poor Republican fellows some slack for not doing one second of research or critical thinking" needs to come to an end. Time to smack the dog whistles out of their hands. They support a biggot, who runs on a platform of bigotry, and you can't be bothered to do even a little thinking to realize why this is terrible? You're enabling that garbage, and you are now a bigot by extension. No worming out of it because "oh, my taxes might go up" or "b-b-b-but emails". You could've seen through that shit with the least little bit of critical thinking, and you actively chose not to.

Breads

Banned
Don't the stats from the latest election suggest that the vote turnout in states with these sorts of laws wasn't significantly different to those without them? The intention might be nefarious but it doesn't seem like it actually makes much difference.

It does make a difference though. That's why they are pushing it.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I really think the era of "compassionate, understanding Democrat cutting our poor Republican fellows some slack for not doing one second of research or critical thinking" needs to come to an end. Time to smack the dog whistles out of their hands. They support a biggot, who runs on a platform of bigotry, and you can't be bothered to do even a little thinking to realize why this is terrible? You're enabling that garbage, and you are now a bigot by extension. No worming out of it because "oh, my taxes might go up" or "b-b-b-but emails". You could've seen through that shit with the least little bit of critical thinking, and you actively chose not to.

Precisely. Now they get to own it and be judged by it.

They spend alot of time and money creating and pushing these laws. They spend alot of time and energy spreading the myth of an illegal voting scourge. They go through this trouble because it does have an effect that assists the GOP legislators behind the wheel.

I mean I'm all for everyone having to vote but you I think you should have to show ID to vote. Many countries already do this.

Cool but the GOP is only interested in making more hoops to get one instead of pushing the much simpler task of making it easier for people to get IDs

Amir0x

Banned
I mean I'm all for everyone having to vote but you I think you should have to show ID to vote. Many countries already do this.

Im cool with that, if we simultaneously make getting IDs free and mandatory. What is that? Nobody wants the government to pay for anything because they are selfish pricks? Oh...ok.

Until then, no fuck mandatory IDs.

This is just ignorance on the process that people have to go through to even get a "proper" ID.

1) It's not required by law to have an ID, although there are situations where it is needed
2) Not all ID's are "proper" enough to vote
3) People who are poor don't have the free time to make sure they have all the requirements
4) GOP controlled states are restricting where you can get such ID, like closing down DMV locations, restricting hours. This creates bottlenecks and hour long lines, things that people who work don't have time to stand in.
5) Some people who have moved their entire lives don't have the proper information to even get an ID required to vote, and the time needed to get those other identifications are easily great enough to prevent them from getting an ID all together.

In most cases it's not even the money, it's just the amount of effort that they are forcing people to go through which causes them to not have ID's to vote. Which is the entire reason they do this and make insane hoops to jump through.

Ri'Orius

According to the numbers in the article, there were 18k who voted without ID, out of about 3M voters total. So not much, but then again, Trump only won Michigan by 10k...

Slo

They spend alot of time and money creating and pushing these laws. They spend alot of time and energy spreading the myth of an illegal voting scourge. They go through this trouble because it does have an effect that assists the GOP legislators behind the wheel.

So now this is not an issue with whether the law has any impact, rather it's an issue with wasting tax dollars?

Goalposts are all over the place.

Im cool with that, if we simultaneously make getting IDs free and mandatory. What is that? Nobody wants the government to pay for anything because they are selfish pricks? Oh...ok.

Until then, no fuck mandatory IDs.
I think they should be as cheap as possible. I don't get why people get so worked up about having to show ID to vote.

How often does an ID have to be renewed in most places anyway? It's 6 years here and you can do it online every other renewal so it's 12 years before I even need to show up at a DMV.

So now this is not an issue with whether the law has any impact, rather it's an issue with wasting tax dollars?

Goalposts are all over the place.

Where did I say I cared about the tax dollars they wasted? I said that they go through the effort to push these laws because they have an impact. The goalposts are exactly where they've been all this time.

This is just ignorance on the process that people have to go through to even get a "proper" ID.

1) It's not required by law to have an ID, although there are situations where it is needed
2) Not all ID's are "proper" enough to vote
3) People who are poor don't have the free time to make sure they have all the requirements
4) GOP controlled states are restricting where you can get such ID, like closing down DMV locations, restricting hours. This creates bottlenecks and hour long lines, things that people who work don't have time to stand in.
5) Some people who have moved their entire lives don't have the proper information to even get an ID required to vote, and the time needed to get those other identifications are easily great enough to prevent them from getting an ID all together.

In most cases it's not even the money, it's just the amount of effort that they are forcing people to go through which causes them to not have ID's to vote. Which is the entire reason they do this and make insane hoops to jump through.

Well everyone has to have a drivers license so I think that they should include something on it where it shows that You can vote. This really shouldn't be an issue, I'm amazed how poorer countries implement voter IDs better than the USA

Amir0x

Banned
I think they should be as cheap as possible. I don't get why people get so worked up about having to show ID to vote.

They need to be free 100%, period, if you want it mandatory to vote. Read the post above you that outlines the hurdles. Maybe you have no experience with the poor and disenfranchised, but that doesnt make it right to pass laws which disproportionately impact them. Voting is a fundamental right of being a citizen, or at least it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom