• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that go over the top with their "food graphics"

bomblord1

Banned
Inspired by me recently playing Final Fantasy XV and being wowed by the food. I was wondering what other examples there are.

For some reason a recent trend I've noticed is (sometimes laughably out of place) food in games that looks incredibly realistic or over the top. I'm curious what all examples there are out there. I can think a few off the top of my head but I would rather see what you guys can come up with.

Obviously I'll start
ezgif.com-optimize1r5s0l.gif

vikkemon

Wouldn't say it's good food graphics but Yakuza games manage to get me hungry everytime I enter a restaurant or store somehow.

528072-yakuza-3-playstation-3-screenshot-you-can-buy-drinks-food.jpg

zerosum

Inspired by me recently playing Final Fantasy XV and being wowed by the food. I was wondering what other examples there are.

For some reason a recent trend I've noticed is (sometimes laughably out of place) food in games that looks incredibly realistic or over the top. I'm curious what all examples there are out there. I can think a few off the top of my head but I would rather see what you guys can come up with.

Obviously I'll start
ezgif.com-optimize1r5s0l.gif

So that's where those 15 years went.

Brokun

The food in XV is just amazing. Like, there is just so much and it all looks fantastic.

It's ridiculous. It's like they had an entire team of artists work on the food. That was their only job for 10 years - make the food look good.

You guys over here work on character and environment textures, and you guys over here... food.

Belker

Does it count if its designed to stand out in a level? Final Fight had massive food in relation to the size of the characters. Made me hungry.

gfs_62773_2_13.jpg

Xilium

Japan seems to have an obsession with food in general. (Almost) Literally every anime has to have a scene with the characters eating something and remarking on how amazing it is. Most JRPGs will do this as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is nothing but Japanese games.

Gun Animal

It's ridiculous. It's like they had an entire team of artists work on the food. That was their only job for 10 years - make the food look good.

You guys over here work on character and environment textures, and you guys over here... food.

my first thought seeing them was that it looks like they were using food to test out their 3D scanning equipment/software tbh

mclem

Tomodachi Life has photos of food, which look a bit out-of-place given the cartoonishness of much of the rest of the game.

XbwkRVn.jpg

And Xenoblade Chronicles X has frequent cookery interludes, again resulting in food that looks much more realistic than the natural graphical style. And appears to be really hard to find screenshots of.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Japan seems to have an obsession with food in general. (Almost) Literally every anime has to have a scene with the characters eating something and remarking on how amazing it is. Most JRPGs will do this as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is nothing but Japanese games.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth has two sidequests that involve going to restaurants and your character giving incredibly detailed impressions on the flavor/texture/etc. of the food.

It's the most Japanese thing ever.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Honestly I never realized japanese games had such an obsession with food until someone pointed it out on this thread
Its the cloud bushes all over again.

It's not just anime and JRPGs. It seems like everything is either about food or there is a character who owns a restaurant. Nice to see I'm not crazy. It's very odd.

Thud

The main character in Tokyo Mirage Sessions is secretly a food critic. Itsuki gives the most detailed expressions to show why something tastes good or why it tastes like shit.

All of this optional in the game, but if you do sidestories and quests you're bound to find it.

Top Bottom