• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Dead Rising 4 outsold The Last Guardian at launch

Loudninja

Not only that, but the PlayStation 4 exclusive sold fewer copies in its week of release than Dead Rising 4 did just via its physical Xbox One release.

UK numbers company Chart-Track does not count digital downloads. There are no physical PC copies recorded sold of Dead Rising 4, (EDIT: which, we should point out, launched last Tuesday compared to The Last Guardian's Friday release - meaning it had another few days on sale).
One happier note for The Last Guardian - it outsold the first week sales of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, the two earlier games from creator Fumito Ueda.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-12-dead-rising-4-outsold-the-last-guardian

AHA-Lambda

That's not a particularly high bar given how the audience for this has grown since 2001, with increased exposure over that time to achieve it's cult status, plus the HD rereleases on top =/

expected, the hype for the game and marketing were bigger than both games. Happy that it's doing well, hope more ueda games in the future.

That's not really a huge feat though
ICO didn't take off until it got a platinum release in Europe (it didn't even meet the sales target for platinum, if I heard correctly). Shadow of the Colossus presumably did a lot better off the back of ICO's second wind.

edit. Can't find platinum copies in Europe so could be mistaken for Japan. I get the impression there was a reprint in Europe though because there are two types of box.

It's a masterpiece, well done Ueda and the rest of the team!

I'm on my third playthrough and I rarely replay games so soon after finishing them.

wrowa

It opened in sixth place below CoD, Fifa, Battlefield, FFXV and Dead Rising 4. So, not sure if this shows TLG being successful or just how badly its predecessors did.

Still, nice to see a sequel that isn't down.

ICO didn't take off until it got a platinum release in Europe (it didn't even meet the sales target for platinum, if I heard correctly). Shadow of the Colossus presumably did a lot better off the back of ICO's second wind.

edit. Can't find platinum copies in Europe so could be mistaken for Japan. I get the impression there was a reprint in Europe though because there are two types of box.

There were definitely at least two reprints of Ico in PAL countries. One was timed right around SotC's release.

dracula_x

What's the best selling first party PS4 game at the moment? Just to have a guideline.

I guess it's Uncharted 4 – http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/23/uncharted-4-first-week-sales-surpass-2-7-million/

Uncharted 4 First Week Sales Surpass 2.7 Million

for comparison,

Killzone Shadow Fall – 2.1 million copies (as of March 2, 2014)
Infamous Second Son – over 1 million copies 9 days after its launch.
Driveclub – over 2 million copies (as of 31 July 2015)
Bloodborne – over 2 million copies (by September 2015)

Kill3r7

Ah yeah not much surprise, just did a quick search and couldn't find an up to date number, anyone know how much it's sold?

Bruno would be the one to ask for U.K. numbers. If I had to guess I would say below 400K but it is now the PS4 bundle of choice so that number could be a lot higher.

You guys got a funny commercial and I think some billboards. What else is necessary?

Didn't PewDiePie play it too? Not UK specific, but overall marketing seems good enough

If you didn't see enough marketing, maybe it just wasn't marketed to you. I even saw online banner ads

I guess it's Uncharted 4 – http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/23/uncharted-4-first-week-sales-surpass-2-7-million/

for comparison,

Killzone Shadow Fall – 2.1 million copies (as of March 2, 2014)
Infamous Second Son – over 1 million copies 9 days after its launch.
Driveclub – over 2 million copies (as of 31 July 2015)
Bloodborne – over 2 million copies (by September 2015)

Bloodborne was robbed.

Based off this my expectations for The Last Guardian's sales aren't sky high but it's great to hear how well it's done for now.

Castef

Banned
TLG outsold ICO and SoTC. What is there to spin?

There was a topic regarding UK sales. And, let's face it, the element reported in this very thread is not very... exciting, in terms of sales.

Also considering that TLG had a nice marketing in the UK, with TV Spots (a very nice one) and billboards...

Hopefully Sony has their expectations in check for this game.

Yeah I don't think they have crazy expectations.
The suits there must know this will be largely a modest seller but could have fair global appeal in the long term.

Ah yeah not much surprise, just did a quick search and couldn't find an up to date number, anyone know how much it's sold?

Don't think we'v got an update since 2.7mil sold in the first week globally.
But for the UK there are some hard numbers LTD floating around if you do some digging.

It seems like a hard game to market, if the game's strength is the bond you develop with Trico, then it is hard to convey that in a billboard or trailer. They are probably hoping good word of mouth will sell a lot of copies.

cheesekao

There was a topic regarding UK sales. And, let's face it, the element reported in this very thread is not very... exciting, in terms of sales.

Also considering that TLG had a nice marketing in the UK, with TV Spots (a very nice one) and billboards...
Regardless of what you think of its sales, it's a very clear cut statement. You're using the term spin here wrongly. Also, some people have said that marketing in the UK was low-key so there's that.

Loudninja

What are you even talking about.

Top Bottom