• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Their homepage states that the campaign will be playable offline, but I guess they had a change of heart. I asked specific about the campaign too. After the "Internet required" box art rumor I did some poking around. I wrote to their community representative, and he asked their community manager. This is what he wrote:

We can confirm that For Honor is an always online experience. Some elements of progression, which is hosted online, are shared across story and multiplayer modes. Players will need to be connected to the Internet at all times to play For Honor.

ubi.png

Anyways, just wanted to warn you so you don't get fooled by their previous offline promise.

You can always tweet @the_darklorde with feedback

Update: Gamespot also confirms it. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fo...et-connecti/1100-6446205/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A single-player experience, should never, ever require any sort of internet connection. They didn't learn from history...Just unacceptable.

I won't even pretend to know how these things work, but is there no way they could just store that data locally when offline and immediately upload it when you have a connection?

Gamezone

Gold Member
A single-player experience, should never, ever require any sort of internet connection. They didn't learn from history...Just unacceptable.

I'm mad because they said so many times that the campaign will be offline. Even their website saids so.

Jawmuncher

After seeing the game, I can't say i'll be partaking. Since I don't see why it needs to be online only. Especially when prior they said that it wouldn't it. If Ubi keeps it up, the next Assassins Creed will be online only. I can't really accept a lot of these game needing such. Especially when games that rely heavily on online for the "true" experience can still be enjoyed offline (talking the souls games mainly).

Unless the game is doing a faux MMO style thing like Division or Destiny. You better have a pretty damn good reason, and rarely is there ever one.

Trace

Banned
I won't even pretend to know how these things work, but is there no way they could just store that data locally when offline and immediately upload it when you have a connection?

Way too easy to modify that.

Personally I think they should just have the ability to play it offline if you don't mind losing out on the experience for the online portion.

LQX

Ugh, I'm always online but it's infuriating to hear a single player game requires internet always being on. And it's always about DRM. I don't care what the devs say.

harz-marz

Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

That's a shame. I don't feel anywhere near as angry about it as some of the above posters seem to feel, but its still a bit of a bummer.

That said, given how much For Honor is an online competitive game at heart, I doubt I'd spend much time on the single player anyway

Gamezone

Gold Member

Yes, but this is their typical lame excuse. Already heard it with Hitman.

But Ubisoft really wanted to stealth implement this. I asked 10 developers, and each of them didn't want to comment. One of their lead guys even banned me for asking him on Twitter.

Yukinari

Then theyll spin it as a positive thing but when outrage gets too far theyll backpedal.

Everyone seems to already have forgotten Assassin's Creed 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

When Ubisoft's shitty servers go down you can't play either.

I know Hitman turned out well, but I really hope that doesn't become the go-to game to cite in response to opposition over things like this. I still feel like that turning out well was a lucky break for all of us. More importantly, they've finally started adding in offline things, so it seems like even they saw the value in offline single-player.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Let me play the prediction game. The first day the game goes live, a lot of people will have server problems logging in and/or they'll have problems authenticating ownership and/or they'll get an error saying the game hasn't released yet.

I can't fuckinf believe I got all three of those from uPlay and things didn't seem to improve.

Way too easy to modify that.

Personally I think they should just have the ability to play it offline if you don't mind losing out on the experience for the online portion.
Ah ok. Thanks.

And yeah, I agree. I'd much rather have it that way. A single player campaign should not require an internet connection.

Edit:

Yes, but this is their typical lame excuse. Already heard it with Hitman.

But Ubisoft really wanted to stealth implement this. I asked 10 developers, and each of them didn't want to comment. One of their lead guys even banned me for asking him on Twitter.
Well that's unfortunate.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm 100% cool with this.

I don't really care about the game though. Multiplayer beta didn't do much for me.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I mean it's not as if Ubi soft specifically said it had an engaging single player, offline campaign....

MFAJoI5.jpg

Oh shiiiiii

Servers go down and every now and then your internet may drop because of maintenance or some outage. In both cases it means that you can no longer play an always-online game in any form while if either happens you can at the very least still play the single player in the majority of other games.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I know Hitman turned out well, but I really hope that doesn't become the go-to game to cite in response to opposition over things like this. I still feel like that turning out well was a lucky break for all of us. More importantly, they've finally started adding in offline things, so it seems like even they saw the value in offline single-player.

Hitman have like 50% positive reviews on Steam because of the unstable online crap they pulled at launch.

epmode

Please try to remember this, because someone always makes your point in threads like this:

The problem isn't so much with the enduser having an internet connection, it's with the server side. Keeping servers up costs money. Eventually, a publisher will decide that it's not worth the money and the game will be taken down.

For a game where the online portion is absolutely integral (like MMOs), this makes sense and I have no problem with it. But for something like this, where there's no good reason to require a server connection, an always online requirement is putting an expiration date on a game that shouldn't have one.

Connections aren't always on 100% of the time. It's frustrating to not be able to play whatever game you want when your net is down, especially if all you want to do is play single player.

That said, I see this as very similar to people loudly complaining about dubs or censorship in Japanese games. The feelings they have are real and their voices are loud, but the actual number of people basing their purchasing decisions on this are very small

Kuni

Yeah that's as rubbish as always. My internet is good and even it drops from time to time. Unless a game is clearly doing something required online (mmo multiplayer really is the only reason I can think of...) then this is just not good for the consumer really.

Thought people learned after Simcity... Wonder how long it'll take to mod it offline.

SPEA

Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?

CrazyHal

It's an always online experience.

I'm with Bosman, GAF. I've come to resent that word.

I hate the word "exprerience".

I hate the word "cinematic"

I hate the word "pack"

I hate the word "season"

I hate the word "pass"

I hate the word "whale"

I hate the word "content"

And theres probably more that i'm forgetting.

Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?

Although there are more people than you might seem to think without great internet connections, the issue is almost never simply about playing your console offline.

My internet connection rarely goes down. It's not my end that I'm worried about.

Top Bottom