• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PSVR owners need these lens protectors

goonergaz

Edit - turns out these are made by a member here, if you want to contact him or make an order (he ships worldwide) then;
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=599421

So on another forum there's a guy selling these lens protectors, he has a 3D printer and has designed these plastic bits that stick to the inside of the unit and stop glasses from hitting the PSVR lens - as such a great addition for anyone with a PSVR (unless you don't wear glasses and never intend to demo to a wearer of glasses!).

If there's any interest in these let me know and I'll send him this way...here's his original design;

psvr-lens-protectors-classic-jpg.798394

psvr-lens-protectors-classic-installed-jpg.798395

However he now makes a 'deluxe' version where he's added rubber to help also protect the glasses...I have the original ones in place and the deluxe on order.

psvr-lens-protectors-deluxe-jpg.798391

psvr-lens-protectors-deluxe-installed-jpg.798392

Any questions just shout, but these are cheap £5 & £10 (plus shipping) so a minimal outlay to protect the lens on a £350 item so a no brainer IMHO...anyone who doesn't use glasses won't even know they are there!

robotrock

Banned
Those look cool.

I used an Oculus CV1 for a few months and scratched it up pretty hardcore, but I could never see the scratches during gameplay. It all still looked very clear.

Alienous

Glasses scratch the lenses of the PSVR? Well shit, I guess I'll have to order some of these. Any contact information OP?

jweaver

Neo Member
Thanks for posting this GoonerGaz..

I am the creator of these and also a member here, but rarely visit.

But I will keep an eye on the forum now and if anyone wants a pair, get in touch either by replying here or send me a PM.

goonergaz

But I will keep an eye on the forum now and if anyone wants a pair, get in touch either by replying here or send me a PM.

lol, small world :)

Cyriades

Looks like it would make contact with glasses.. could be good or bad. The good, glasses not hitting the lens. The bad, focus is not quite right because you will be pushing your glasses back.

mclem

... doesn't that mean that instead, your glasses would push into your face?

I don't think my specs come into contact with the lenses anyway. Of course, it's hard to actually *see* that, but I don't feel any impact when bringing the visor towards me.

Horohoro

I'd like a pair what's the pricing on the deluxe?

jweaver

Neo Member
looks like it would make contact with glasses..

Thats exactly the point of what they do.. Instead of your glasses crashing into the lenses and scratching them.. The guards, hit the glasses instead.

There is little risk of them doing any damage to your glasses, especially if they have glass lenses, but this is why I also offer the "deluxe" version which has a rubber top and can therefore do not damage.

jweaver

Neo Member
... doesn't that mean that instead, your glasses would push into your face?

I don't think my specs come into contact with the lenses anyway. Of course, it's hard to actually *see* that, but I don't feel any impact when bringing the visor towards me.

Yes.. A little.. But if anything, that helps as it keeps your glasses in their perfect optical center.

In general peoples glasses don't touch the lenses, but the point is THEY COULD.

So my guard just makes that more difficult to happen.. These are especially useful if you demo you PSVR to people who wear glasses and perhaps have no idea how far to push the headset back.

JOn

jweaver

Neo Member
I'd like a pair what's the pricing on the deluxe?

Deluxe are £10.. more than I wanted to pay.. But they take a fair while to make...

If you are outside of the UK, it would be delivery on top, which isn't cheap.. So if you want more info, PM me.

goonergaz

Looks like it would make contact with glasses.. could be good or bad. The good, glasses not hitting the lens. The bad, focus is not quite right because you will be pushing your glasses back.

these literally add the smallest of gaps and don't affect focus at all

edit - also worth mentioning it's a bit of insurance policy if you have kids with glasses (who are less likely to be as careful as yourself when using the unit)

Z3M0G

Great idea! My buddy will love this and buy a set immediately I'm sure.

For now, he took a pair of theater 3D glasses, pulled the lenses out, and has people with glasses wear them over their own glasses while using PSVR. It actually works pretty well... a little tight inside, but it doesn't add any extra loss of vision and everything is still very playable.

But boy, would this be so much better.

Edit: No link to order them??

jweaver

Neo Member
Great idea! My buddy will love this and buy a set immediately I'm sure.

For now, he took a pair of theater 3D glasses, pulled the lenses out, and has people with glasses wear them over their own glasses while using PSVR. It actually works pretty well... a little tight inside, but it doesn't add any extra loss of vision and everything is still very playable.

But boy, would this be so much better.

Edit: No link to order them??

Just PM me.

jweaver

Neo Member
I am getting the last of my orders done today to get them out before Christmas. So if anyone wants one before Christmas, get in quick,

TalonJH

I'll invest in these when I get a headset.

Off-Topic, but I can not find a PSVR at retail price. All that is left are 3rd party sellers that want $600 for just the base and $1000 for the full bundle.

this is a great product, once I find a PSVR in my country XD Sony really under shipped the SEA region

They under shipped everywhere.

Alienous

Got these, they're great. Without them I'm certain my glasses would hit something, and either eventually get damaged themselves or damage the lens. If you aren't wearing glasses it changes nothing, if you are then it protects the lens of the unit and your glasses too (at least the Deluxe edition does). It also looks great, and is pretty simple to install. It really feels as though it should have been part of the headset proper.

jweaver

Neo Member
To give you an update. I have completely caught up and shipped every order. I have now built some "stock" so if anyone wants them, they now ship the same day.

Fucking hell yes!!

I was petrified of letting glasses wearers use my PSVR for the potential friction between lenses causing a scratch (and having a screeching close call with my own glasses)

I fucking NEED a deluxe pair.

One question, will these irritate non-glasses wearers?

Edit: Just placed an order through the ebay link above :)

jweaver

Neo Member
To reassure you, there is absolutely no side effects to non-glasses wearers. They are totally invisible and they actually look like part of the design.

jweaver

Neo Member
As a final update, I am going to slow things down now for a while as most people who want these protectors have them.. So once my current batch is gone, I won't be making any more..

So if you want one, please let me know

Jon

Just ordered the Deluxe ones - great idea!

I use my glasses pretty often in the evenings when playing my PSVR after work so this is perfect.

jweaver

Neo Member
why somebody that does not wear glasses need this? just curious

You wouldn't... But if someone is likely to demo their unit to someone who wears glasses, they are invaluable.

In my experience, friends who know nothing about VR are more likely to push/pull/move the headset around, and if THEY have glasses they are the ones who are most likely to scratch the lenses.

So for people who don't wear glasses but MIGHT demo it to someone who does, the 'Classic' is the perfect choice.

Jon

Dachande

Thanks for bumping this thread earlier this week - I caught it and made a mental note to get a set of these when I finally found a PSVR, which happened today. Hooray!

It's kind of a shame that there's something like this not already moulded in the plastic, but maybe it'll come in a future revision. The Vive doesn't have anything like it, right? I know Oculus doesn't.

Anyway, here's another bump in case this helps someone else with glasses out.

Got a deluxe pair last week and they are pretty great, nice not to have to worry about scratching the lenses with my glasses.

I live in the US and it took a little under a week to arrive. Well worth it!

jweaver

Neo Member
I wish you were in the states.

$25 (with shipping) is just too much for these :(

I hear you. I hoped to do them cheaper but the cost of materials and tools, plus the time to manufacture and ship is greater than i expected.

All i can say is its a tiny price to pay to protect the lenses. Once they are scratched, there is no way back...

jweaver

Neo Member
I should have said.. All orders placed last week were shipped the same or next day.. So people in the UK will have had theirs by now.. And anyone overseas should get them any time.. Any problems, please mail me at my PayPal address, as I am not monitoring NeoGAF very often.

Top Bottom