• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

jbug617

Banned
GamesBeat has confirmed from two sources (who don’t want to be identified) that the Switch’s graphics are based on Nvidia’s older Maxwell architecture, not the new Pascal graphics technology that the chipmaker introduced earlier this year. The semi-custom Nvidia Tegra processor in the machine is still powerful enough to play typical Nintendo cartoon-style games (like the Mario series), but don’t expect the highest-end games we’re seeing on the PS4 or Xbox One to run on the Switch.

This may be OK, and the Switch’s high-definition visuals may still be satisfying to a lot of gamers, who will also appreciate its dual purpose of being played in the home as a console and on the run as a portable system. But the Kyoto-based Japanese company was in such a rush to replace its failing Wii U that it couldn’t wait for the updated Pascal version of the graphics technology, sources told us. This means that the Switch doesn’t have as much visual horsepower as the PS4 when played on a television, and it may not be able to handle 4K graphics, either. If Nintendo had waited for Pascal, it would have had to push back the launch date of the Switch. We’re not so sure if the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, as the performance may be close.

Part of reason for the use of older parts is that it just takes a while to get a console off the ground. Nvidia’s Pascal-based chips came out first for desktops and laptops in the middle of the year. These chips were both powerful and more power-efficient than the previous Maxwell generation from 2014. But such chips are typically hot and big, making them too power-hungry and expensive to put into a home gaming console. They might be great for a desktop, with lot of room for fans and cooling systems. But the chip would overheat and melt down the portable portion of the system.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/nintendo-switch-specs-less-powerful-than-playstation-4/

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Isnt Pascal supposed to be smaller, run cooler and be more energy efficient?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not Pascal huh...

Well i'm sure it has a few elements of Pascal in it surely, but yeah, i guess Pascal itself was too much to ask

LowSignal

I figured this wasn't going to be brand new tech. My ability to pull the trigger and buy yisbthing really comes down to the games available day 1 and if they update their online service to be modern like XBL and PSN.

Still getting it for Nintendo Games but...
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FJack-Nicholson.gif

Fully expecting under $200 price point for launch.
Pretty much the saving grace of this consoles now. $249 and $300 Deluxe bundle.

RibMan

Disappointing if true. That would mean that it's much closer to the Wii U than the Xbox One. Dean Takahashi has a good track record on this stuff right?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So wait does this mean the Wii u is more powerful than the Switch?

Shield TV is notably more powerful than Wii U is.

People need to stop freaking out. Even if this information turns out to be correct, it would not be hard to get a huge upgrade from Wii U of all things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fully expecting under $200 price point for launch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
so, is it closer to the Wii U than the Xbone now?

Probably. Maxwell is bigger, more power hungry, and less efficient. They would be able to squeeze a lot more performance out of a 14nm Pascal-based SoC than a 28nm Maxwell-based one.

tebunker

Banned
So wait does this mean the Wii u is more powerful than the Switch?

it honestly means nothing. We have other good sources saying otherwise. Honestly we have a month to find out.

Dean Tak is solid writer, and his sources could be good, but that article was so poorly written it hurt my head.

We honestly have no idea if anything is true. Less than 4 weeks, I think we can wait.

Shield TV is notably more powerful than Wii U is.

People need to stop freaking out. Even if this information turns out to be correct, it would not be hard to get a huge upgrade from Wii U of all things.

I don't believe anyone at this point.

both of these are the right way to go about this.

Uhh, rather it is Maxwell or Pascal, it doesn't tell you how powerful the system is. One is just on a smaller process and is much more energy efficient than the other.

Perhaps they may just me that it's in the same power range as the TX1, which NateDrake have implied himself.

Isn't the dev kit basically a Tegra Jetson X1? this isn't shocking, it's just target hardware.

The 5-8 hour info from Laura's source(?) from last week for Switch battery life won't be possible if the actual hardware uses an X1, which is why the dev kits also deliver 3 hour battery life.

Like how Xbox 360 used Apple G4s to simulate final hardware I suspect Pascal is indeed still on the cards for Switch.

Also consider this: a new Shield TV is being announced by Nvidia in January at CES. The SoC in that is likely to be Pascal based and very similar to whatever Nvidia is supplying for Switch.

Vena

Part of reason for the use of older parts is that it just takes a while to get a console off the ground. Nvidia’s Pascal-based chips came out first for desktops and laptops in the middle of the year. These chips were both powerful and more power-efficient than the previous Maxwell generation from 2014. But such chips are typically hot and big, making them too power-hungry and expensive to put into a home gaming console. They might be great for a desktop, with lot of room for fans and cooling systems. But the chip would overheat and melt down the portable portion of the system.

Bolded is ???.

Pascal is a die-shrink of Maxwell, what is this paragraph even. This is a nonsensical quote that makes zero sense.

saskuatch

it wouldn't make sense to use maxwell on 28nm on a portable. That would just be dumb and this console is dead before arrival.

These chips were both powerful and more power-efficient than the previous Maxwell generation from 2014. But such chips are typically hot and big, making them too power-hungry and expensive to put into a home gaming console. They might be great for a desktop, with lot of room for fans and cooling systems. But the chip would overheat and melt down the portable portion of the system.
this quote doesn't make any sense

Eeeeesh, will wait for further confirmation from more sources, but disappointing if true. Not onl from a power perspective but also a efficiency one too. Pascal energy saving improvements were a huge boon for a portable device like the switch. Heck, it was one of the main selling points for laptop chips based on pascal.

Somnid

This is getting silly. Once we had Switch game footage the whole "what SoC is it using" became moot because we have practical results over theoretical ones.

Top Bottom