• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

Was this written by a 15 year old? Why are we all believing this so readily?

EDIT: Ventura Beat?

673602e0-8ba8-4000-970a-a343aa661d18.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wondering if this is based on the devkits?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That makes no sense.. Its not stronger to put out PS4 visuals but closer to Xbox One..??? When Xbox One and PS4 already close.. the fuck? lol

Dont fall for Microsofts BS. PS4 was supposedly 30% more powerful than XB1. The difference might be less with the XB1 Slim power increase but theres still a difference.

Vena

Wait wait wait, who in the fuck was hoping for 4K with the Switch?
I mean really?

Well, to be fair, Maxwell or Pascal, there's not actually going to be major gains in performance, its more about gains in efficiency for heat and battery. It obviously allows you to cram more into less so the ceiling on what the system can do would be higher, but the article itself also tries to reference Xbox1 which would be well outside of the range of a 28nm Maxwell in such a tiny package, docked or not.

The shrink to 16nm Pascal is not even a "new architecture" its the same thing, just shrunk. Which is why this article is so confusing, it wouldn't melt or be hotter. It would in fact be the opposite.

And in a limited power consumption device, more efficiency for the same power draw means more _____?

Look at the actual quote, though:

"GamesBeat has confirmed from two sources (who don’t want to be identified) that the Switch’s graphics are based on Nvidia’s older Maxwell architecture, not the new Pascal graphics technology that the chipmaker introduced earlier this year."

If we take this statement at face value, they are talking about the graphical power. Or perhaps the phrasing is screwed up. Honestly, it sounds like the person doesn't really understand what they are referring to.

saskuatch

the price would not be affected by this at all, it just means is less power efficient. In fact they get less chips per wafer in a 28nm process, most of the costs would be from r and d...............

Eolz

Wow, that was a poorly written article. And no shit it's weaker than a PS4.

Sounds like the writer just heard of older devkits...

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah, I'm not believing it. Venture Beat, I don't think has gotten anything right with the system so far. All our big leaks have come from Laura and Emily because they've been very accurate.

Someone should just ask one of them. They're on twitter after all.

and here is why nintendo loses in the spec war post gamecube. They could get rid of most rumor mongering releasing typical stats and saying deal with it. Anyone bitching or whining form then on can be called out too be it press, devs or consumers who don't really play nintendo systems for whatever reasons.

Yeah, not having the information available for people and the media to refer to will only cause people to second guess when rumours like this pop up.

If they stay quiet in January it won't be doing them any favours.

STGHMAAV

Banned
Knowing how obsessed Nintendo is with efficiency and power-consumption it seems illogical to me that they chosed Maxwell instead of Pascal. I don't know much about the differences between Maxwell and Pascal, but if I understand it correctly, Pascal is both more efficient and more low-power-consumption.

Wondering if this is based on the devkits?

I'm starting to think this too, it can be that the first dev-kits have Maxwell chips instead of the Pascal ones on the final product.

Vena

So 540p and less than Xbone graphic details?

720p/1080p, and yes either way.

Knowing how obsessed Nintendo is with efficiency and power-consumption it seems illogical to me that they chosed Maxwell instead of Pascal. I don't know much about the differences between Maxwell and Pascal, but if I understand it correctly, Pascal is both more efficient and more low-power-consumption.

Pascal is a die-shrunk Maxwell, so you are correct.

Arkam

This is getting silly. Once we had Switch game footage the whole "what SoC is it using" became moot because we have practical results over theoretical ones.

Pretty much. This would change very little. Sure might not be as efficient as pascal based chip... but nothing world changing. If this impacts your decision you never really understood any of this.

meerak

This is getting silly. Once we had Switch game footage the whole "what SoC is it using" became moot because we have practical results over theoretical ones.

You take your damned logical stance and you GET OUT! None of that here... This is..

LQX

I don't get how Nintendo has come to the generation late twice yet had inferior hardware. It makes no damn sense. You would think they would have an edge on the competition being that they are releasing hardware close to two years later.

DMONKUMA

How reputable is this site? We had other "sources" and "rumors" stating otherwise....right?

Also we will probably know in a month of what is really powering this thing.

Edit:wait who expected PS4 performance?

It was always going to be weaker than PS4. Hope you guys weren't expecting Nintendo to make magic happen.
The system is supposed to be more modern so ports shouldn't be hard but you'll still need to downgrade from PS4
Maxwell vs Pascal is more power consumption based, isn't it? Wouldn't be too much of an issue if they're using the dock.

tkscz

So how many times has this guy been right about rumors? The other rumors point to pascal and they've been pretty spot on so far.

Maxwell vs Pascal is more power consumption based, isn't it?
Inside of a Tegra yes. Anyone thinking Pascal would make the graphics any better in that factor is mistaken. It would be more costly and energy deficient to go with Maxwell over pascal. Graphics wouldn't be effected.

dracula_x

Dude, also said the NX would use AMD chips.

and there was a solid reason for that:

Back in December, AMD chief financial officer Devinder Kumar spurred speculation when he said at an analyst conference that AMD had two semi-custom chip designs in the works. “I will say that one is x86 and the other is ARM, and at least one will be beyond gaming, right. … They [the customers] are going to announce it and then … you will find out that it is AMD’s APU that is being used in those products.”

And today, AMD chief executive Lisa Su said that AMD had won a third semi-custom chip design as well. She said that the promise of these chip designs is that they could yield products that, over their lifetime, could generate a billion dollars in sales.

-Horizon-

Yeah, not having the information available for people and the media to refer to will only cause people to second guess when rumours like this pop up.

If they stay quiet in January it won't be doing them any favours.

Nintendo isn't one to flaunt the nitty gritty technical details.

They had Skyrim in their reveal video.

inb4 "that's not a new game" responses

you know that's gonna happen lol

Dude, also said the NX would use AMD chips.

Very clear distinction between an opinion piece, which that AMD article was, and a piece which claims he has source telling him what architecture it's using.

It's a shame that people are so eager to prove someone wrong by pointing out a flaw that they don't realise the flaw in their own argument too.

So using that article as a way of saying "They've been wrong in the past" is wrong because it's misrepresenting what that article was.

That being said. The article here has a poor title and confusing language used in the report itself. He claims he has sources and is reporting based on that.

Venture Beat is a fairly respected publication but of course they can be wrong. Ultimately we'll find out fairly soon from Nintendo what exact architecture they are using.

No one will read this of course and each side will just take extremist views based on misinformation and their personal will of wanting him to be right/wrong.

LordOfChaos

Look at the actual quote, though:

"GamesBeat has confirmed from two sources (who don’t want to be identified) that the Switch’s graphics are based on Nvidia’s older Maxwell architecture, not the new Pascal graphics technology that the chipmaker introduced earlier this year."

If we take this statement at face value, they are talking about the graphical power. Or perhaps the phrasing is screwed up. Honestly, it sounds like the person doesn't really understand what they are referring to.

There are other parts of the article that seem to show some misunderstanding, but I don't see it in your quote there.

"The Switch's graphics are based on Nvidias older Maxwell architecture"- I don't see where they're talking about graphical power, just that the graphics portion of the SoC is based on the Maxwell architecture. Giving the benefit of the doubt maybe the author just isn't as anal about precise phrasing as you or I would be, lol

It doesn't say that means a set amount of power, just that the architecture is older.

Top Bottom