• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

I would think a delay would have been better to get pascal and almost certainly better battery life, but maybe they figure they can release a pro/plus version in a couple of years. Definitely should have a good price point.

Dont fall for Microsofts BS. PS4 was supposedly 30% more powerful than XB1. The difference might be less with the XB1 Slim power increase but theres still a difference.
It aint BS its real. The same games on Xbox One on PS4 too. Whats a 720/900p vs 1080p?? Are they saying the Switch cant get some games or gonna run games at 540p?

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

saskuatch

Pretty much. This would change very little. Sure might not be as efficient as pascal based chip... but nothing world changing. If this impacts your decision you never really understood any of this.

The power efficiency between maxwell and pascal is world changing...its why now pascal on notebooks is almost on par with desktops. It's the closest it's ever been. The performance per watt advantage of pascal over maxwell is staggering, it would be like doubling the battery life on the switch.

Nanashrew

Banned
and there was a solid reason for that:

Not really solid reasons to be honest, as those were PS4 pro and Xbox One S. There were already heavy and credible rumors of Xbox Slim and PS4 Pro and of course they'd use the same manufacturer. There should have been 3 semi-custom chips in the works, not 2.

Shahadan

Yeah, not having the information available for people and the media to refer to will only cause people to second guess when rumours like this pop up.

If they stay quiet in January it won't be doing them any favours.

What? Staying quiet is their best option. There are only benefits to do so.

antonz

The Article seems to be a hodgepodge of random stuff thrown together. I know the vultures are out now with glee waiting to shittalk but even the Article states the Switch is expected to have around 1tflop of performance.

Outside of throwing the name Maxwell out there it really has nothing to offer that people aren't talking about or expect already

L Thammy

When we actually get our hands on the Switch it's going to feel just like the end of Goku Black arc.
Incredibly depressing.

13ruce

Banned
I could care less if true it's gonna have my game of the forever Zelda BotW and some other good first party Nintendo games like 3D Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing and more.

Heck i am happy it's atleast HD, 3DS was good but i'm getting tired of sd graphics now when even mobiles can handle hd easily.

tkscz

The Article seems to be a hodgepodge of random stuff thrown together. I know the vultures are out now with glee waiting to shittalk but even the Article states the Switch is expected to have around 1tflop of performance.

Outside of throwing the name Maxwell out there it really has nothing to offer that people aren't talking about or expect already

Yeah, that's when I knew not to listen to this article. Pretty sure switch isn't hitting that number.

I'm not one to complain and ramble about the good old days, but holy shit I sure do miss when nobody gave two shits about specs.

Alchemy

That would dumb as fuck, holy shit. Unless its somehow a MASSIVE cost cutting measure and even then its a terrible idea for a god damn semi portable console.

Vena

1TF you say? Sounds awful familiar...

Jetson NX DevKit Leak:
Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

keakster

Anyone able to explain why they couldn't wait for the newer tech? Would the dev tools need to be re-written? Coded in a different language?

dracula_x

Not really solid reasons to be honest, as those were PS4 pro and Xbox One S. There were already heavy and credible rumors of Xbox Slim and PS4 Pro and of course they'd use the same manufacturer. There should have been 3 semi-custom chips in the works, not 2.

in 2015?

edit: also leaks and predictions/analytics are two different things. it seems some people here don't understand difference between them

120v

i could fully believe nintendo going with maxwell but that's the most amateurish "hot leekz" article i've read since the Revolution days

Madouu

"We’re not so sure if the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, as the performance may be close."

This is my main take away from the article.

There are other parts of the article that seem to show some misunderstanding, but I don't see it in your quote there.

"The Switch's graphics are based on Nvidias older Maxwell architecture"- I don't see where they're talking about graphical power, just that the graphics portion of the SoC is based on the Maxwell architecture.

It doesn't say that means a set amount of power, just that the architecture is older.
If it would have been much better if they would have replaced "graphics" with "GPU". I honestly think that the author could have confused the two.. but we will see.

Btw, I know that NateDrake has more than 2 sources for his info.

The whole tone of the article, if quoted directly, sounds like it was written by someone who hasn't the faintest idea what they're writing about. In any case, I couldn't really care so long as it looks good and has a good library of games. If it was a portable Wii U quality device I'd probably still buy it.

If you don't recognize the author Dean Takahashi, you are the one sounding like you are out of the loop.

bomblord1

Banned

Jetson NX DevKit Leak:
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD

That's FP16

L Thammy

I'm not one to complain and ramble about the good old days, but holy shit I sure do miss when nobody gave two shits about specs.

I don't think that time ever existed. It's just that we could look at Super Nintendo games and see without question that they were far above what the NES could produce, so we didn't have to talk numbers.

DSN2K

People do realize Nintendo are not going to release any Substantial specs period so we are going to be guessing for good while yet.

They listed the WiiU as followed

Technical Specifications

CPU

IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core microprocessor.

GPU

AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.

replace AMD & IBM with Nvidia. Only Hope we have is a press release from Nvidia themselves and that will likely be cut back on their typical detailed analysis as well.

tkscz

Dunno if you're joking or something but Pascal isn't "just" a die shrink. Quite a bit changed.

In the case of making it a Tegra, that pretty much covers it. Yes, it's also more energy efferent, and has a better API, but running at about 600 to 700GFLoPS, you won't see much of a performance differences between Maxwell and Pascal.

Scum

Vena, pls. Why are you doing this? Just let me read the thread title alone and let me bemoan Nintendo, for God's sake.
LLShC.gif

Kouriozan

The dream is dead.
I'm starting to get worried, help.

I'm actually not that surprised, to be honest.

LordOfChaos

Who the hell was expecting 4K graphics?

Lol

This means that the Switch doesn’t have as much visual horsepower as the PS4 when played on a television, and it may not be able to handle 4K graphics,

Yeah, the author seemed to have some expectations none of us did...

4K video at best. Pascal wasn't going to get it to 4K on any substantially complicated game at that power draw and chip size, nor even to the base PS4 based on how many slices we could realistically expect in it (2-4).

phanphare

Banned
whether this ends up being true or not I doubt the author of this article has any idea, is what I took away from that after reading

When was that ?

I think people always cared about specs. It's what made your console cooler then the competition.

Some people did, but ultimately it didn't really mean... anything. Sega shoved that Blast Processing in everyone's throat and it didn't really put them above Nintendo. PS1 and PS2 were weaker than the competition too, but nobody cared in the end.

Nowadays when people declare the doom or success of a machine based solely on specifications. I get that videogames are tech pieces, but they're ultimately way more than that

"Now you're playing with POWER"

"BLAST PROCESSING"

See above

tebunker

Banned

Jetson NX DevKit Leak:
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD

Also Emily Rodgers re-affirmed that most of that stuff is right on. I think this may be a heavily customized Maxwell, but even then, power and heat dissipation... We'll see.

Current smartphones already have more power than whatever the Switch will be packing.

Running a game with respectable 3D graphics while having a respectable battery life without overheating, well that's a totally different story.

Who knows man technology in the future could remedy all that

NSESN

Unless it cames from Nintendo or someone we know that has credible leaks, like Laura or Eurogamer, i prefer to be skeptical

TheJoRu

Nvidia’s Pascal-based chips came out first for desktops and laptops in the middle of the year. These chips were both powerful and more power-efficient than the previous Maxwell generation from 2014. But such chips are typically hot and big, making them too power-hungry and expensive to put into a home gaming console. They might be great for a desktop, with lot of room for fans and cooling systems. But the chip would overheat and melt down the portable portion of the system.

This makes absolutely no sense. Are they talking about GTX-series graphics cards in an article about a highly portable device, or what the hell are they even trying to say? Obviously them using Pascal in the Switch would mean a new, Pascal-based version of Tegra.

Top Bottom