• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

RowdyReverb

How reputable is this site? We had other "sources" and "rumors" stating otherwise....right?

Also we will probably know in a month of what is really powering this thing.

Edit:wait who expected PS4 performance?
Idk how Nintendo of all companies could be expected to create a device smaller than the PS4 slim while keeping the same horsepower, run off a battery for hours, and cost under $300

Markoman

I'm not one to complain and ramble about the good old days, but holy shit I sure do miss when nobody gave two shits about specs.

When was that? 1978? Only difference in the good ole days was that we only had one spec to talk about. Then esoteric stuff like blast-processing, emotion engine,... entered the scene.

Vena

Also Emily Rodgers re-affirmed that most of that stuff is right on. I think this may be a heavily customized Maxwell, but even then, power and heat dissipation... We'll see.

Oh the general performance target has been confirmed by multiple people, but that's still a dev board that's off the shelf parts. And it matches this article's info if they're seriously going for 1TFLOPS unless they have no idea what FP32/FP16 are.

Maxwell cannot hit 1TFLOPs FP32 in the package of the Switch as we've seen it so I have to assume they are either talking about FP16, or they are immensely confused.

I am obviously talking about in the confines of the Switch and the Tegra-SOC. Not a discrete GPU.

antonz

This makes absolutely no sense. Are they talking about GTX-series graphics cards in an article about a highly portable device, or what the hell are they even trying to say? Obviously them using Pascal in the Switch would mean a new, Pascal-based version of Tegra.

It also ignores the fact just because a product went to retail a month ago does not mean it wasn't available 8 months ago on a development scale.

When was that? 1978? Only difference in the good ole days was that we only had one spec to talk about. Then esoteric stuff like blast-processing, emotion engine,... entered the scene.

I'm not saying it didn't exist I'm saying nobody really cared. This stuff really started on the PS3 era and got way bigger leading to the launch of the Ps4 and Xbox One

tkscz

This makes absolutely no sense. Are they talking about GTX-series graphics cards in an article about a highly portable device, or what the hell are they even trying to say? Obviously them using Pascal in the Switch would mean a new, Pascal-based version of Tegra.

Not even new. Nvidia already has the Parker chip for auto-driving cars. The Parker is a Tegra chip based on Pascal.

tebunker

Banned
Oh the general performance target has been confirmed by multiple people, but that's still a dev board that's off the shelf parts. And it matches this article's info if they're seriously going for 1TFLOPS unless they have no idea what FP32/FP16 are.

Maxwell cannot hit 1TFLOPs FP32 in the package of the Switch as we've seen it so I have to assume they are either talking about FP16, or they are immensely confused.

I am obviously talking about in the confines of the Switch and the Tegra-SOC. Not a discrete GPU.

Honestly, reading the VB article, it seems like Dean Takahashi is the confused one.

Either way, the processors in the Switch can be based on Maxwell and have a lot of modern features integrated, the only thing that confuses me is the size/power usage. So we shall see in deed.

Look they aren't getting Dark Souls 3 running in an acceptable shape, or even Skyrim Remastered running well on old t-X1's without a lot of sauce. That would be some amazing sauce, but even the Shield ran some more modern stuff okay.

Some people did, but ultimately it didn't really mean... anything. Sega shoved that Blast Processing in everyone's throat and it didn't really put them above Nintendo. PS1 and PS2 were weaker than the competition too, but nobody cared in the end.

Nowadays when people declare the doom or success of a machine based solely on specifications. I get that videogames are tech pieces, but they're ultimately way more than that

See above

Remember the bit Wars? 16 bit 32 bit etc. Interesting you mention PlayStation considering Kutaragi and his statements about past hardware.

I get what you are saying but there is always a undercurrent of interest in these things and with the internet it's more noticeable now.

Remember the bit Wars? 16 bit 32 bit etc. Interesting you mention PlayStation considering Kutaragi and his statements about past hardware.

I get what you are saying but there is always a undercurrent of interest in these things and with the internet it's more noticeable now.

Hmm... fair enough. It just felt more trivial at that point I guess.

I'm not saying it didn't exist I'm saying nobody really cared. This stuff really started on the PS3 era and got way bigger leading to the launch of the Ps4 and Xbox One
I think because the internet wasn't as "widespread", it didn't matter as much. I'm sure if The internet,how it is today,was around the start of consoles, they'll be talks about specs and what not.

I just ignore it. I just wanna play my Nintendo games

Assuming this is correct - which is far from certain, given that Takahashi doesn't seem to understand the nature of the difference between Pascal and Maxwell - I don't really see the big deal, unless it was a last-minute decision (which would impact software development enough that they'd probably have to delay launch, so I doubt it). I'm not buying Switch for games I can play on PC, anyway.

LordOfChaos

We thought we were getting SSJ Vegeta, but instead got Yamcha.

Hey now, did you SEE the last episode?

DS-Dragon-Ball-Super-070-1080p.mkv_snapshot_12.10_2016.12.11_03.46.24.jpg

NateDrake

Where's natedrake when you need him :p

Looking into things. I'm quite surprised right now (as you would probably guess) and I'm going to be looking into this. The article does have some claims wrong, but I did hear the final dev kits are Maxwell based. It's not the doom-case scenario some are treating it as, either.

I heard Pascal back in July prior to the Eurogamer report from a handful of sources I've worked with for years. So I need to have a chat with some people and figure out what is going on here.

Was anyone really planning on replacing their PS4/One/PC multiplats with Switch games?

Anyway, this device will still be more powerful than the Wii U so in handheld mode I'm fine with that as an upgrade to the 3DS.

Kouriozan

I heard Pascal back in July prior to the Eurogamer report from a handful of sources I've worked with for years. So I need to have a chat with some people and figure out what is going on here.
That would be a surprising change, I wonder what happened if true.

bomblord1

Banned
Looking into things. I'm quite surprised right now (as you would probably guess) and I'm going to be looking into this. The article does have some claims wrong, but I did hear the final dev kits are Maxwell based.

Oh man thanks I was just being sarcastic but knowing you're looking into still helps a lot.

To anybody doubting this :

The article was written by Dean Takahashi. He has written for The Wall Street Journal and The LA Times. He says it's from multiple sources.

It's true.

J@hranimo

Banned
You can bet you won't know much about the specs either in one month

Oh I know that, I just want some third party games confirmed...which will give some possible ballpark estimate of what it can do.

We probably won't know anything until the teardowns when the console releases in March.

PFD

Supremely disappointing if true

I guess nvidia gave them a good offer and wanted to get rid of old 28nm chips?

Davey Cakes

Wouldn't be surprising if they're going for the cheap.

That said, Nintendo's obsession with power consumption points towards them favoring Pascal.

Honestly, now we just have conflicting reports. I don't think any is definitive yet. We're so damn close to the Switch reveal, too!

120v

Sweet Jesus that would be incredible. Hell, even $229.99 or $249.99 and I'm there day one.

Once it starts creeping toward $300 my interest begins to drop precipitously.

well that's the caveat. i think around $200 people are willing to flip the coin at what's essentially a Wii U+

go higher then the expectations game is raised

Top Bottom