• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November NPD... from the GameDaily Perspective.

Ashodin

Keep it clean! You know what to discuss.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14685

"Looking at how the new Sony and Nintendo consoles fared, the Wii sold through 476K units in the U.S. while the PS3 sold 197K units. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Xbox 360 (which is in far greater supply) sold 511K units and is now at 3.8 million total in the U.S. Interestingly, the PS2 managed to outsell the Xbox 360 yet again. In fact, so did the old Game Boy. The PS2 and Game Boy sold a respective 664K and 641K units. But the real winner continues to be the Nintendo DS, which sold a whopping 918K units and has reached an install base of 8.1 million in the U.S. alone. It's as if we say this every month, but people really can't get enough of the dual-screen portable it seems."

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
doa-xtreme-beach-volleyball-1.jpg

Clean enough :)

You can post absolutely any number that's been made public by any legitimate site. But you can't get no yoohoo here.

no I dont know what can be discussed. can we actally say the numbers or do we just have to make comments such as "Thats a great number for the DS". ???

argon

Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aNr9lIoeWkAk&refer=home

Sony PlayStation 3 U.S. Sales Fall Short of Target (Update2)

By Dina Bass

Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp. sold 197,000 PlayStation 3 consoles in the U.S. during November, missing its goal for initial shipments by half after parts shortages slowed production, market researcher NPD Group Inc. estimated.

Nintendo Co.'s Wii, which also was introduced last month, sold 476,000 units, Port Washington, New York-based NPD said today in an e-mail. The Microsoft Corp. Xbox 360, on the market for the past year, sold 511,000 machines.

Sony had planned to make 400,000 consoles available at its Nov. 17 U.S. debut and missed that target, providing an opening for Nintendo and Microsoft. Tokyo-based Sony last week replaced PlayStation head Ken Kutaragi and is airlifting machines to the U.S. to meet demand. Wii is benefiting from positive reviews and its $250 price, half the cost of the cheapest PlayStation 3.

``There's no way that Sony will make its forecast for 1 million units in the U.S. this calendar year,'' said Evan Wilson, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities in Portland, Oregon, who rates Sony shares ``sector perform.'' ``They will face supply constraints at least through March.''

Nintendo, which is shipping 250,000 Wiis to the U.S. each week, also hasn't keeping up with demand, said Anita Frazier, an analyst at NPD. ``I have no doubt that many more could have sold if there had been more inventory.''

Nintendo will meet its forecast for 2 million Wiis shipped in the U.S. in 2006, Wilson said. Nintendo, based in Kyoto, Japan, plans to ship 4 million devices worldwide by the end of the year.

Xbox 360, which made its debut in November 2005, ``rebounded nicely'' from a slow summer because of Sony's problems and the release of ``Gears of War,'' Wilson said. The title from Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft was the top- selling console game in November with 1 million units sold, according to NPD.

Sean

Banned
So the solution here is for GameDaily to just post every single number on their site so we can discuss them right?

Maridia

Father_Mike said:
no I dont know what can be discussed. can we actally say the numbers or do we just have to make comments such as "Thats a great number for the DS". ???

You can say any # in the article.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maxrpg said:
Keep it clean! You know what to discuss.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14685

"Looking at how the new Sony and Nintendo consoles fared, the Wii sold through 476K units in the U.S. while the PS3 sold 197K units. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Xbox 360 (which is in far greater supply) sold 511K units and is now at 3.8 million total in the U.S. Interestingly, the PS2 managed to outsell the Xbox 360 yet again. In fact, so did the old Game Boy. The PS2 and Game Boy sold a respective 664K and 641K units. But the real winner continues to be the Nintendo DS, which sold a whopping 918K units and has reached an install base of 8.1 million in the U.S. alone. It's as if we say this every month, but people really can't get enough of the dual-screen portable it seems."

so summarising your summary and highlighting some of the publically available figures to make it a little easier to read..

DS 918K
PS2 664K
GBA 641K
360 511K
Wii 476K
PS3 197K

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This explains all the retailer rebates and free game offers for the 360

The UK sales for the DS are even more impressive, to me anyway. If ever there was a market were the PSP could/should beat the DS that should have been it. But even there, DS domination.

Ace 8095

Locking NPD threads is the gayest shit I ever heard. It's time to grow some balls mods. Show them we aint scared of there silly threats.

kammy

Banned
Sales-age wont die just like that.

Its like Saddam Hussain and Bin Laden banning the Superbowl a week before the finals.

Whats the difference between some one posting the numbers and someone posting someone else posting the numbers?

Ashodin

Ace 8095 said:
Locking NPD threads is the gayest shit I ever heard. It's time to grow some balls mods. Show them we aint scared of there silly threats.
As if that wasn't a total ban.

mrklaw said:
so summarising your summary and highlighting some of the publically available figures to make it a little easier to read..

DS 918K
PS2 664K
GBA 641K
360 511K
Wii 476K
PS3 197K

:lol 2 million of those numbers are Nintendo consoles, and 500k of them are for like 1 wiik

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
TheGreatDave said:
One thread closes, another opens in like...10 seconds. <3 gaf.

But this is the clean legal thread. I think, we'll see! DS sold a lot more than I thought.

And I'm guessing the GBA numbers are all the different kinds. Last year, the GBA did close to what the DS did this year. So many people buying handhelds.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Have any publically available articles, from websites entitled to discuss NPD figures, mentioned the status of DS and PSP software sales this month? If not, I don't want to know

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Once again, amazing numbers for the 360.

Microsoft is going to hit the magical 10 million mark and their competitors are barely out of the gates.

Not to mention 360 sales outpacing Xbox 1 and Gears of War being the #1 selling game in November....

very good news overall for MS

Nameless

The DS #s are impressive... They are near where the GBC and GBA were during the height of their popularity.

MS did well, with a strong december showing they could near 5 Million installed for the US by the end of the year, which is more than a solid lead.

Oh.. FINAL FANTASY XII FTW!!!

Petrarca

Banned
Ace 8095 said:

Damn right!!

You can NEVER EVER SHUT DOWN NPD on GAF, WE WILL PREVAIL :lol

Busaiku

Doesn't Gamespot usually release the top 20 in terms of revenue, and then another top 20 in terms of units a few days after the figures are released?
If so, guess it's gonna be kind of like the EU figures then (now)?

Ginko

Ace 8095 said:
Just so you can't edit that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I just got home and found a locked NPD thread. Since this is "an NPD thread," I'm going to ask this here: What the **** happened?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how much is the GBA in the US? those are crazy numbers for a supposedly dead system

I've never really paid attention to the NPD until this nonsense started, so now its kinda fun :p

Danthrax said:
I just got home and found a locked NPD thread. Since this is "an NPD thread," I'm going to ask this here: What the **** happened?

you can still read it. Head to page 10 for the interesting bits

Draft

Nintendo's stranglehold on the handheld market is even more obscene than PS2s on the console market. Who can stop them? Who I ask you?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
TheKingsCrown said:
:lol 2 million of those numbers are Nintendo consoles

I didn't know GBA and DS were consoles..

last I checked they were nothing but sub $150 handheld toys

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:
The UK sales for the DS are even more impressive, to me anyway. If ever there was a market were the PSP could/should beat the DS that should have been it. But even there, DS domination.

There's still Latvia.

Scotch

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4362&Itemid=2

New consoles PlayStation 3 and Wii launched November 17 and 20, respectively, making blips on a radar which was dominated by sales of the Nintendo DS.

The Wii sold 476,000 units for the month, while the shorter-in-supply PlayStation 3 sold 197,000 units.

The little DS juggernaut sold 918,000 units in November, bringing life-to-date US sales to 8.1 million units. The PS2 followed as the second-best selling piece of hardware for the month with 664,000 units sold. Third place was held by the never-say-die GameBoy Advance with 641,000 units.

Xbox 360 was next, with 511,000 units sold, bringing life-to-date US sales to 3.8 million units. The PSP followed with 412,000 sold during the month.

Adding to mrklaw's summary:

DS 918K
PS2 664K
GBA 641K
360 511K
Wii 476K
PSP 412k
PS3 197K

Gears of War >1m
Final Fantasy XII 896k
Zelda Twilight Princess 412k
Guitar Hero II 356k

Snow

Danthrax said:
As far as I can tell, NPD contacted GAF, and GAF removed the numbers.

Danthrax said:

Nintendo wins.
Gears wins.
PS2 wins.
DS + GBA total wins.
Zelda tie ratio = wow.

XBox 360 hardware = mild dissapointment
PSP hardware = somewhere in there

Viva = :(
PS3 = paper champion

Ace 8095 said:

That, with the Colbert avatar for massive damage.

AirBrian

mrklaw said:

DS 918K
PS2 664K
GBA 641K
360 511K
Wii 476K
PS3 197K
Wow, got home to find the $#!7 hit the fan.

Krowley

well to start the discussion over since i was a bit late in the other thread...

It seems that the DS is going to totally pull away from the psp in NA.

360 sales are less than many expected. I think there are 2 causes..
1. The hype for the new consoles overwhelmed it.
2. The 400 dollar price point is too high.
Luckily they are only one price drop away from getting into a mainstream zone.

I'm shocked by the GBA sales. there is really no reason to buy one now unless the DS is too expensive for you.

The Wii (and probably ps3) would have demolished the 360 if it had been available all month and it will probably outsell 360 next month unless nintendo fails to ship enough of them. Worldwide sales of the wii will dominate this holiday season.

Not trying to spark a riot, but npd say 475 Wiis in Nov. nintendo says they have sold 600,000 in usa as of NOV. So is NPd missing something or Nintendo Lying?

White Man

Ace 8095 said:

You want to pay the forum's legal bills? Then shut the hell up.

Top Bottom