• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers is Rock Paper Shotgun's Game of the Year

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/24/best-game-2016/

Graham: I don’t care what day it is, this is the best game of the year.

It’s Id’s early aesthetic (eg. skulls) boiled down into an arena shooter. It’s also cribbed Id’s early weapon design (shotgun and lightning gun, specifically), merging them together into the player’s hand, which sprays red death at a growing mob of enemies (eg. skulls) that are chasing after you and the strange obelisks that birth them.

An interesting novelty, short on ‘content’, or so I keep reading. But I went back and back and back and I started to survive longer, because I started to notice its nuances. How you can turbocharge the sprayed projectiles from your hand using red gems dropped by those obelisks, for example, and how timing the moment of that turbocharge can help you to reach further which in turn prompts you to let those obelisks live for longer. How there are more enemies to be discovered than I initially realised, once I could live long enough to meet them, and how each disrupts my established movement patterns and forces me to re-jig my enemy priority list again and…

I love everything about it. The way it looks, the way it feels, the way it sounds. The sound! I don’t normally much notice or care about audio, but the worble of your sprayed projectiles, the tinny tinkling when you hit an enemy, the splorch when you pop them, the low discordant hum which underscores the entire game, the chittering of those giant arena-adjacent bugs, the way everything seems to be screaming…

More at the link with the rest of the staff commenting on it (not everyone agreed).

Devil Daggers deserves it. DOOM slightly edges it out for me but Devil Daggers is the most pure and thrilling game I've played in 5 years.

A good game to be sure, but come on. This has been an incredible year in games and, not knocking devil daggers, there are MUCH better games that came out in 2016.

I bought it out of hype but I didn't like how the shooting feels. Feels like I'm using a fire hose instead of an actual gun.

PBalfredo

While I get the appeal, doesn't Doom also satisfy the same itch, while bringing some innovation to the classic FPS subgenre (encouraging forward momentum with Glory Kills as opposed to the always-be-strafing/backpeddling style of Serious Sam and the like).

Tagyhag

While I get the appeal, doesn't Doom also satisfy the same itch, while bringing some innovation to the classic FPS subgenre (encouraging forward momentum with Glory Kills as opposed to the always-be-strafing/backpeddling style of Serious Sam and the like).

Ha no, DOOM is fun.

Devil Daggers is sadistic.

Donuts

As someone who got around 500 seconds in devil daggers, I respect that decision.

I tried the update and got nowhere near as close, I just didn't want to commit the time investment again.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Picking Doom wouldn't be even remotely as edgy considering other sites/publications have picked it and/or placed it very high in their lists.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
G̵̺̜̥̬͙̬̹̰̮̽̉ͣ̍͋ͯ̌͞o̡̜̖̰̞̹̳̟ͬ͐ͨͦ̉ͦ̚ö͎̝̹͕̟ͦ̎͞ḋ̨̊̓͋͏͖̜͉͕̠̣̜

Natiko

Banned
Boy does the quoted section make this seem like a foolish choice. "This is the best game of the year. It's just like these old games, primarily because it stole its aesthetics and mechanics in large part from them." Oh okay, so it's very original. I actually think Devil Daggers is pretty cool but that was not a compelling argument as to why it's the best game. To each their own though.

Nivert

I'd probably say Devil Daggers and Dishonoured 2 were the most memorable games this year for me so I approve.

KR_remix

They've been talking about the game all year, it isn't surprising they would pick it. I regularly see it in their What Are We All Playing This Weekend posts. A lot of the staff there clearly like it, I don't see how anyone could perceive this as trying to be "different" for the sake of being different.

As far as my opinion on the game, don't really care for it that much. The only thing that really bothers me when people talk about it is how they keep comparing it to old school shooters, when it is only old school in the most superficial ways. Would love to see them tackle a shooter with actual level design. I know they are working on some first person platformer shooter, but iirc that is procedurally generated.

edit: bad grammar.

Games like this and Stephen's Sausage Roll are games I'll agree on as amazing games that I will never play because I suck at reflexive FPS and spacial puzzles.

So I'm okay with this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Devil Daggers isn't a game I sit and play for long periods of time. It's the quick pick me up. My go to game when I'm installing another game. My go to game when I need a couple quick rounds of shooting action. And it never gets old.

Game of the Year according to someone? Considering bigger games have been installed and uninstalled while DD has a permanent home in my HDD... I won't argue it. It's simple to the point perfection.

Oh yeahhh I forgot about this game. It was one of the few pleasant surprises of the year. Never played it but watching people discover what exactly the game is was a joy.

Funny how PC folk look down on arcadey stuff until it's an arcadey take on old PC tropes...

AWlBeCK.gif

They've been talking about the game all year, it isn't surprising they would pick it. I regularly see it in their What Are We All Playing This Weekend posts. A lot of the staff there clearly like it, I don't see how anyone could see how this could be perceived as trying to be "different" for the sake of being different.

As far as my opinion on the game, don't really care for it that much. The only thing that really bothers me when people talk about it is how they keep comparing it to old school shooters, when it is only old school in the most superficial ways. Would love to see them tackle a shooter with actual level design. I know they are working on some first person platformer shooter, but iirc that is procedurally generated.

Why does "actual level design" matter? The game isn't about that. It wouldn't be as intense navigating lots of geometry as you're trying to survive waves, would make it lose the horror and claustrophobic vibes the game is clearly going for.

pelican

This reminds me. I really should check out DD. Feels like an age since it came out. If someone had asked me prior to this I would have said 2015.

Wensih

I'm really glad they addressed the most aggravating criticism that I keep seeing brought up, lack of "content". This needs more push back. Games like Rocket League, Overwatch, and Death Daggers are refined and polished, excelling at the modes offered, and I'd rather play these then something filled to the brim with quests or different game modes that vary in quality. Game discussion really needs to move away from corporate consumerist lingo when describing and praising games.

Top Bottom